MPG impressions on 2015 Golf so far

flyingtoaster

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Even if fuelly had a filter for transmissions, you would have to consider that the TDI is up there with the Geo Metro and Civic VX as a hypermiling car. Manual drivers are more likely to have a different driving style than automatic drivers. In manual mode, the only problem with the DSG is it sits at a higher RPM in 6th gear. This can be remedied with larger diameter wheels.

I speculate that if you were to graph the fuel economy vs speed of both transmissions, it would be similar until around 60 mph.

Last edited:

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
A quick analysis of the Fuelly info, using only '15 Golf TDI from the USA, with more than 50% highway, with explicitly listed transmission type.

First off, there were only 2 DSGs that fit these criteria. Mine was one, and the other had only 48% highway, but I decided to include it anyway. There were 6 such MTs.

Manual Average: 46.95
DSG Average: 41.8

So, basically, I'd say we don't have enough Fuelly info to make any real conclusions on the difference between DSG and MT, especially with all the potential wheel size differences and the driving styles and highway %. But, fun to look at anyway.

My advice to anyone deciding between DSG and manual would be: only use the potential fuel economy difference as a tiebreaker. All the other factors (convenience, maintenance, extra cost, personal preference, etc.) should probably be primary.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Even if fuelly had a filter for transmissions, you would have to consider that the TDI is up there with the Geo Metro and Civic VX as a hypermiling car. Manual drivers are more likely to have a different driving style than automatic drivers. In manual mode, the only problem with the DSG is it sits at a higher RPM in 6th gear. This can be remedied with larger diameter wheels.

I speculate that if you were to graph the fuel economy vs speed of both transmissions, it would be similar until around 60 mph.
I would tend to agree, but would also suspect that the DSG might do better in primarily city driving. Sadly, we might not ever have enough info to say for sure...

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
EPA lists DSG at 42 hwy and 6MT at 45. Whether exact or not I would estimate that the manual is about 3 MPG better.

This is great for me as I like manuals, and for a few years now, the manuals are usually rated lower. This had taken away one of my justifications for buying the 3 pedal car but not on the Golf TDI.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Historically, there is about a 10% difference.

TDI-rex

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S DSG
Thanks for the info! These are two Mk7 Golfs? One DSG one manual? Very handy comparison to have, if so...
I was torn as well between the DSG and the MT, having owned exclusively manuals in the past. My commute has enough traffic these days that I decided to go for the convenience of the DSG, fully knowing I'd probably sacrifice some efficiency. I'm still curious to figure out exactly how much.
Yes both mk7 TDI's and S trim. We loved the DSG Golf so much, we added another one with a manual!

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm seriously torn between manual and DSG. Do we have any real world numbers as to milage difference between the two?
If you check out the sticky threads in NMS/Passat section, I think this will give you the best comparison we have thus far. One forum members says this about the DSG (paraphrasing); it is an $1100 option that just keeps taking and taking. De-contented (third pedal), lower mileage, higher maintenance costs and the chance of major repair costs in the unlikely event you have problems. I say this in a somewhat sarcastic tone but facts are still true.

Ultimately it is up to you and which fits your situation best. good luck, personally I think you may regret going with the DSG (if seriously torn) but doubt you would have regrets going with manual. This assumes you have a decent amount of seat time in a manual with your current commute.

Drowningape

TDI
None yet
If you check out the sticky threads in NMS/Passat section, I think this will give you the best comparison we have thus far. One forum members says this about the DSG (paraphrasing); it is an $1100 option that just keeps taking and taking. De-contented (third pedal), lower mileage, higher maintenance costs and the chance of major repair costs in the unlikely event you have problems. I say this in a somewhat sarcastic tone but facts are still true.

Ultimately it is up to you and which fits your situation best. good luck, personally I think you may regret going with the DSG (if seriously torn) but doubt you would have regrets going with manual. This assumes you have a decent amount of seat time in a manual with your current commute.
Interesting reading. I have a strong preference for manuals, but because my commute is largely bicycle, my wife will be driving it on weekdays, and as good a manual driver as she is, she prefers automatic. It's been enough work to convince her to look at Golf over Prius, that convincing her to buy a manual may be a step too far.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
drowningape---life is all about trade-offs. Manual > DSG > CVT (my opinion) and Golf > Prius (again my opinion). If the misses wants a DSG, that would be an acceptable trade off for me. Ask yourself, considering the alternatives, is this one of those fights that is worth it? Just try to at least get her to drive both before deciding. good luck

drew1202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Interesting reading. I have a strong preference for manuals, but because my commute is largely bicycle, my wife will be driving it on weekdays, and as good a manual driver as she is, she prefers automatic. It's been enough work to convince her to look at Golf over Prius, that convincing her to buy a manual may be a step too far.
I grew up in the Bay Area and if you're anywhere close to downtown SF I would also prefer the DSG. Traffic is ridiculous around game time.

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
3rd tank

3rd tank stats:

Calculated mpg = 47.1, 75% highway (commute)/25% city. MFD indicated mpg = 51.0, so the MFD was biased high ~9%. Drove 540.5 miles, range remaining 40 miles.

Calculated MPG for 3 tanks so far = 47.5, MFD indicated mpg for 3 tanks = 52.3.

Seemed to notice my daily commute mpg was a bit lower - wondering if it was affected by the 4 rainy days of commuting with this tank. Might a wet road increase rolling resistance...or could rain itself increase the density of air and therefore increase drag?

NoSmoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2K2 Golf
The MFD mpg seems to be consistently high by about 9 or 10%. This strikes me as a greater error than one would expect. Software error maybe?? I wonder how the odometer readings compare with actual?

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
The MFD mpg seems to be consistently high by about 9 or 10%. This strikes me as a greater error than one would expect. Software error maybe?? I wonder how the odometer readings compare with actual?
Yeah, it's too bad the MFD is consistently biased so high. I thought their was a post about being able to calibrate the MFD using Vagcom? Is this so?

I checked my odometer, and it is accurate to within ~1%. It indicates 0.7% more miles driven than actual.

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
The MFD mileage can be adjusted using VAG-Com. don't know the procedure but You can set it as a percentage

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
3rd tank stats:
Calculated mpg = 47.1, 75% highway (commute)/25% city. MFD indicated mpg = 51.0, so the MFD was biased high ~9%. Drove 540.5 miles, range remaining 40 miles.
Calculated MPG for 3 tanks so far = 47.5, MFD indicated mpg for 3 tanks = 52.3.
Seemed to notice my daily commute mpg was a bit lower - wondering if it was affected by the 4 rainy days of commuting with this tank. Might a wet road increase rolling resistance...or could rain itself increase the density of air and therefore increase drag?
I've noticed that the rain seems to take a big toll on the FE. Here in South West Florida, we get the summer afternoon rains ... I drive in almost every day... FE always drips a few (~5) MPG .. I can run Cruise control on highway, and it'll dip as soon as the road gets nice & wet.
I just fueled up last night, tank #6. 475 or so miles, with 30 to go, for fuely calculated 41.3, but I did put almost en extra gallon in by clicking the cutoff a few times....

JBizz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 vw golf tdi
Low fuel golf is gray/black and the other Golf is white.. What gives FE!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

AlexNJ

TDI
MK7 2015 Golf TDI SEL DSG (sold back to VW 12/2016)
I was eager to see what my daily commute fuel economy would be, just a day after I bought my TDI, and I wasn't disappointed. A 16 mile commute (1/3 of which city, 2/3 of which highway) got me 41 mpg according to the car's diagnostics. I was hardly trying to be economical, hitting speeds of 75 to 80 mph on the highway, so if this is to be believed, I can hardly wait to see what the fuel economy will be once it's thoroughly broken in.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I was eager to see what my daily commute fuel economy would be, just a day after I bought my TDI, and I wasn't disappointed. A 16 mile commute (1/3 of which city, 2/3 of which highway) got me 41 mpg according to the car's diagnostics. I was hardly trying to be economical, hitting speeds of 75 to 80 mph on the highway, so if this is to be believed, I can hardly wait to see what the fuel economy will be once it's thoroughly broken in.
Subtract 5-10% and you're probably close.

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
with the big wheels and a bit of non FE driving per tank you may be hard pressed to hit 50MPG although may improve as motor seats and settles...sounds like 50MPG is pretty reasonable. Maybe 32-35 for the 1.8T. we are beginning to see a comparison and a trend to justify either car depending of course on the spread of diesel vs gasoline in your area. Keep this thread going as it is real interesting. Less of the MFD displays and more of the real life tank to tank results would be better IMHO. Never trust the computer when it comes to mileage. The only good it is really is to tell you you are nailing it too hard and back off on instant mode. In terms of your real cost of fuel tank to tank its a toy. Real numbers are the only thing that interests me anyways. So far these numbers look pretty awesome if the AVE is high 40s low 50s...out of brand new engines...may even improve 2-3% over next year or 2.
FINALLY BROKE 50 MPG. Drove to Raleigh area and around some. Then filled up. 50.3 MPG.

Drove around some, then home today and got 50.4 MPG. 550 miles. 55.2 mpg on display. Average 55 mph.

Used A/C at least 2/3 of each trip. Rained for hours during both of the drives. Mostly drove +/- 5 mph of speed limits.

Found the seats to be comfortable except my back got sweaty after about 4-5 hours. Car drove great. Quiet and comfortable. It's a great feeling to put in approximately 11 gallons after that much driving. :)

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
I've noticed that the rain seems to take a big toll on the FE. Here in South West Florida, we get the summer afternoon rains ... I drive in almost every day... FE always drips a few (~5) MPG .. I can run Cruise control on highway, and it'll dip as soon as the road gets nice & wet.
I just fueled up last night, tank #6. 475 or so miles, with 30 to go, for fuely calculated 41.3, but I did put almost en extra gallon in by clicking the cutoff a few times....
From looking at your Fuelly logs, considering the high percentage of city driving your doing, your FE is impressive. High 30's to 40 mpg with 70%+ city driving - that's great! Are you still using your A/C in FL this time of year as well?

WiszMaster

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta TDI - Silver, '06 Golf TDI, '06 MB 320 CDI
From looking at your Fuelly logs, considering the high percentage of city driving your doing, your FE is impressive. High 30's to 40 mpg with 70%+ city driving - that's great! Are you still using your A/C in FL this time of year as well?

Yes, I'm happy with it! And yes, A/C is on 100% of the time... Hoping for cooler, dryer weather soon...

This current tank is most likely going to be lower, it's been all city so far, and been running higher RPMs and harder acceleration to break in a bit more, I'm a little over 3k miles now... Was readying over the break in suggestions and figured I'd try lower gears, higher RPM for a little bit.

T_D_I_geek

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6-speed
FE stats after ~2500 miles and 4 tanks

Filled up 4th tank today...

49.9 mpg calculated; MFD indicated 53.3 mpg, so it was biased high ~7% this tank. 606.2 miles driven, 10 indicated as remaining range when I filled up.

My highway speeds were higher on this tank, 70-77 mph; compared to my first 3 tanks, when I was keeping it between 65-70 mph. Included 2 mornings of commuting in the rain, and 2 afternoon commutes with 5 miles of stop and go traffic.

Summary stats for 4 tanks and ~2500 miles so far:

48.1 mpg calculated; MFD indicates 52.3 mpg, so it's off high by ~8%. Averaging 580-620 total range per tank. I am so stoked about the FE so far!!!

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Any Fuelly users also track their average speed per tank? I've found estimating my city/highway percentage to be difficult, but I think I might start tracking speed myself to use as a proxy.

Has anyone explored this before?

assorted

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Just finished a 5 day, 1620 mile trip today. Mostly highway, MPG calculated to 45.35 and spent a total of $133.11. Drove from Prince George, VA to Watertown, NY area looking for places to live, so I did a lot of around town driving there. Even made a trip to Kingston, ON yesterday. Pretty happy with the fuel mileage, but I wish the tank was larger. We (wife and I) usually do our long drives on our Passat TDI, so it felt a little disappointing to stop more often to fuel up.

On another note, I was comparing my overall MPG (42.4 over 3644mi) to other MK7 Golf TDIs and I found mine to me just a bit above average (looked like most are getting 40-42 mpg). I'm wondering is what the heck drivers are doing to get to the 45+ MPGs on a consistent basis.