MPG. Guess. Startup>Drive 1 Mile>Shut Off>Repeat 4 hours Later

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
I had a 95 MB E320 that I drove daily with this routine and would get 14MPG. The E320 should do around 22MPG on the highway.

What would you guess 1.9 ALH Jetta would do with this same drive? I'll be calculating MPH for this daily drive in a week or two and will post the actual.

Details: '03 ALH, 5 speed, 335k miles, stock... as far as I know. I drive medium slow most of the way and slow down early to avoid using the brakes where possible.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
30 tops is my guess, and start saving for turbo removal and cleaning of the VNT system every year or two. I'd be looking at a used electric car if that was my commute.

These cars do not like constant short trips, so if you're locked into the car and that commute you need to get out on the highway once a week for at least 20-30 miles to keep things in decent working order.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
This is GROSSLY abusive to any internal combustion engine vehicle and will result in all sorts of bad things happening, from oil dilution to excessive cylinder wear to really horrible fuel economy and terrible battery service life.

I'd expect ~25-30mpg, AND compromised oil quality leading to excessive engine wear, plus quite possibly a turbo problem a few years down the road. I'd buy a electric golf cart if that was my "commute."

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
This is GROSSLY abusive to any internal combustion engine vehicle and will result in all sorts of bad things happening, from oil dilution to excessive cylinder wear to really horrible fuel economy and terrible battery service life.

I'd expect ~25-30mpg, AND compromised oil quality leading to excessive engine wear, plus quite possibly a turbo problem a few years down the road. I'd buy a electric golf cart if that was my "commute."
It's a pretty busy and sometimes aggressive commute. I'd expect a golf cart would be abusive to the driver in this case (as in hit by someone in a hurry). A 49cc moped or even a bicycle would be the ideal ride... if it was a little more of a relaxed drive.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I happened upon a golf cart vs car accident a couple months ago as a first responder. Asymmetrical results.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
It's a pretty busy and sometimes aggressive commute. I'd expect a golf cart would be abusive to the driver in this case (as in hit by someone in a hurry). A 49cc moped or even a bicycle would be the ideal ride... if it was a little more of a relaxed drive.
If you have a one mile commute then it's a comfortable (and fairly short) WALK, or an utterly-trivial jog.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
If you have a one mile commute then it's a comfortable (and fairly short) WALK, or an utterly-trivial jog.
It's an extremely busy area with high speed rush hour traffic. I walked it once and it wasn't comfortable... although it was short. Also, I'm sure I'd get lots of asking if my car is broken down or if I need help. It's not really a walk or bike type of route. Otherwise, it'd be my first option.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I'd be curious to see how much your MPGs would change if you plugged your car in for 30-60 minutes before leaving.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I'd be curious to see how much your MPGs would change if you plugged your car in for 30-60 minutes before leaving.
Quite a bit (and it would also alleviate a lot of the low-temp, never-gets-warm damage issues) but a 500W block heater would dent you for the cost of the power too.....

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
That would be an interesting study. It takes 5 weeks just to put 50 miles down at this rate. So a full tank will be a while... lol. I figured I'd top it up at the same pump at 50 miles and see what I get. That's coming in a few days. I'll likely try the block heater for the next 50 miles.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Whoever guessed 30MPG was right on the money.

The fuel IQ was set at 2.4 for what it's worth. I just turned it down to 4.8.

This was keeping my foot out of it and shifting at around 2k. Once in a great while I'd gun it but not regularly.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Or a bicycle ;)
A few posts back up.

I happened upon a golf cart vs car accident a couple months ago as a first responder. Asymmetrical results.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
I'm not daring enough to ride a bike in busy rush hour traffic, but I wish I could! An electric would probably cost me more upfront than my $900 old Jetta. We'll see how it hits the pocket book as time goes on. So far it seems like a decent rig. I'm pretty handy so I don't mind fixing mechanical issues.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You could just move further away so you have a longer commute. Say a hundred miles or so round trip.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
You could just move further away so you have a longer commute. Say a hundred miles or so round trip.
That was a close call! I was just about to take a sip of coffee!:D

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Ha ha. Now there's a good suggestion. Why own a Jetta diesel with great fuel economy that's never able to prove it's worth. I actually enjoy it as a daily driver albeit a short drive.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Why own a Jetta diesel with great fuel economy that's never able to prove it's worth.
There's so much more than fuel economy.
I got into TDI because of the work commute / work travel I was doing at that time. I've switched from that 80 minute commute (when in the office), several hundred mile field service call, several times per week, work environment to a job just 10.19 mile, 20 minute by car, 40 to 50 minute by bicycle, away from home travelling on bucolic rural / suburban roads.
I still drive a TDI and it's not for the fuel economy.
That's important, but it's not the prime reason.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Just topped off again (same location, pump, etc) and had 34 MPG this time. I turned my fuel down (from 2 to 5) and it seemed to help at the cost of having a little less power. I put my foot into it a lot more on this fill up. Maybe if I babied it, I'd get a few more MPGs.

777funk

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH - 5 speed
Yes. I'm going to try going easy on the next run and seeing if that helps. I may try plugging in though as the first test. It's hard to drive slow in this town with the busy traffic.