MPG Fuel Efficiency w/ stainless steel glow plugs

MY1STVW

TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 2004
Anyone else see a drop in their fuel mileage after having the stainless steel glow plugs installed? I have been disappointed for several years now since my dealership did a recall on my glow plugs. They even told me when I picked up my car that I would see a reduction of about 2 MPG. I know since the weather has turned colder there is a drop in mileage but this fall when I should have seen 38 MPG I only got 34 MPG.
Should I have the stainless plugs yanked out and the new improved plugs installed or should I just get a Malone stage 1 tune? Will the Malone tune work with stainless glow plugs?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Its a lot less expensive to pay a dealer to install the new software and the current ngk plugs than to get a tune. Expect to pay about 100 plus 40 for the plugs. You will find you get quicker, cleaner starts however I'm not sure it will make much difference in fuel economy although the newer software has many changes in it. Some here have found that their torsion value affects mileage. you might take a look at yours, but you will need vag-com to do this. Although you are a good ride from St Louis, you might be well off to take a drive there to see Oilhammer, and have him take a look.

joegt3

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
When I had the recall (to stainless steel) done I noticed a drop in MPG but after dealing with the hard starting issue associated with the stainless steel plugs I put the ngk's and all is good once again.

spartan

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
If you have the steel plugs currently, do you need to change the software to use the NGK's? I have a TDTuning stg 2, which he stated is calibrated for the steel glow plugs. I had a really rough cold start the other day and it got me worried.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
If you have the steel plugs currently, do you need to change the software to use the NGK's? I have a TDTuning stg 2, which he stated is calibrated for the steel glow plugs. I had a really rough cold start the other day and it got me worried.
Yes, you need to get another tune with a change in parameters. Your current tune will not support the NGK plugs.

In the mean time, you can try mogolf's starting procedure to get the glow plugs glowing fully.

Make sure the cabin fan is off, wait for the seat belt chime to quit, fasten seat belt, then turn the key to start.

Last edited:

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Mark Malone is aware of all the issues with glow plugs and will advise you what to do. Get a stage 1 tune from him with dynamic egr and you won't be disappointed. I know for a fact he is on top of the BHW glow plugs.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Maybe the drop in MPG is not GP related this late into the lifecycle of the car. How many miles do you now have on the vehicle.

I did not notice the MPG drop on the two Passats when they did the recall years ago.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The ngk plugs solve the cold starting problem and as we get nearer to winter, I'd get them installed now. They get much hotter than the steel jacketed plugs.

MY1STVW

TDI
Passat TDI Wagon 2004
I have 156,000 miles on my Passat.

I did see a drop in mileage after the dealership installed the stainless steel glow plugs. It has been a few years ago and I have been living with it. I am not having problems with winter cold weather starts.

Should I just take the car to the dealership and have them put the newer glow plugs in. They should tune it correct?

Or since my stainless plugs have been okay can I keep the plugs and have it reprogrammed with a Rocketchip or Malone tune? What does a tune have to do with glow plugs anyway?

I just want my car to get 39 MPG highway like it did when it was new and not the 35 MPG highway I get now....35 is not bad I guess for a 156,000 mile car.

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
When I had the recall (to stainless steel) done I noticed a drop in MPG but after dealing with the hard starting issue associated with the stainless steel plugs I put the ngk's and all is good once again.
They had problem initially, but then did a second software upgrade which resolved all the hard start issues. Did you ever get the second flash done or did you just go right to the NGKs?

Again no issues with either car after the completed recall and follow up flash for the two Passats.

fenne

TDI
02 Jetta GLS 5 speed
I hope this isn't off topic. But, I've got an 05 passat. I called my local dealer and gave the service guy my VIN, he said glow plugs are up to date. But, it's cold here and I've the garage full with a trailer project. Once in a while the car stumbles when starting in the mornings. Like it's only running on 2-3 cylinders. What's the specifics of the hard starting? Just cranks a lot?