Mouse Control

mikew85120

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI
I have a 2014 Passat TDI SE. The mice have started to consider my wiring a buffet. I have installed a www.Rid-a-rat.com and a www.mouseblocker.com. The car is kept in the driveway, we are in the Phoenix Az area. Does anyone else have a rodent problem and how have you cured it or what did not work. Repairs are getting expensive. Any help is appreciated.
mike

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
CAT! That or a friendly local coyote.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Dryer sheets. The perfume bothers the critters and they avoid the area. More convenient than mothballs.

Tuck a couple into the hood liner, one next to the air intake, one near the cabin filter.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Dryer sheet by the cabin filter. Hmmmmm, that may be an idea for a fresh cabin, regardless of whether it helps with mice...

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
Drive the car on a regular basis and the mice will leave it alone.

Bill
Not west coast mice. My daughter's Kia is driven at least 30 miles every day. That didn't stop the little critters from chewing through a spark plug wire.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Another advocate of dryer sheets. Place as Lug_Nut recommends. Cats are too darn lazy anymore. Tried a bag of mothballs once in my FJ. Works but stopped the wife from getting in the rig also.

Last edited:

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
My local mice ignore dryer sheets, or act like they're just in the way of a good nest. They don't use it (they prefer the under hood blanket) they just move it or nest by it.

I figure if they're going to be there, I'll be a good host and provide a buffet. Green mouse baits, such as nkgagne recommends, work wonders. I leave them around the cabin air filter and at least one in the bottom of the engine air filter box (yes, they like that box, too). The mice find it chews up easier than wires and they do strange dances some time after consumption, so they must really like to party afterward. Imagine how much fun they'd have if I could figure out how to provide a beer fountain...

Cheers!

PH

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Ok well looks like its been a whole year plus later since thread began , and damit looks like its my turn for the mice Invation 1st the basterd got in my atv thats been sitn in my under house 1 car garage i had set up for tdi ( never goes below freezing) got it all fixed and cleaned out wire mesh over all air tubes , only to have more in garage ( turds all over ) so i set 3 diff traps and the lil fkr licks the **** clean No catch so i put glue trap down and dash peanut butter came back in morning nothing so im wiggin out cuz i do t want then getn up stairs , so next day go out and Bam the lil **** u.can see ate so PB and u can see marks all on glue trap but no mouse so now its been a week and no action in garage , im like *** happen to the one that was in here ?
So now i go out and lift open door to truck topper and i forgot 3 days before i had put this container of bird seed in box cuz chippy ( chip munk) was getn in it as i set it down on stump to set out later , so now the thing is empty , im like *** dam mouse squeezed thru lift gate crack , well that turd now i went to look in cab for something and notice **** all over , so i started truck and heater was left on and now im hearing seeds tumbling in blower , so im still working on that and now this morn i went to check cabin filter on TDI and notice some ball of chewed up rope on top and the ring not locked in
So i took it all out and thought man i hope the bastereds not in car so i open door and noticed **** turds everywere ugh , now i have no veh to drive cuz im not using car with fkn mice in it , so i spent all day tearing apart the golf , lo n behold theres a huge nest under spare tire hole , im like how the fk is it getn down in there when ive had cover over hole and to s of tools weighing it down , so my only guess is it has some way in from underside and it goes inbetween body n trim to rear and slips down into pocket spare tire is in , so my hands are full with these bastered everywere , so i set 3 traps inside 2 at tires 1 glue on engine cover and a 5 gal bucket trick. And i sat down just as it was now getn dark and i was txtn a friend and i heard a Snap , im like Fkn Yes , that sob dont waste no time getn to my car just after i walked away , so i did get that one and hoping it was the one thats been i. My car geez these mice sure cause alot of work

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Ok well looks like its been a whole year plus later since thread began , and damit looks like its my turn for the mice Invation 1st the basterd got in my atv thats been sitn in my under house 1 car garage i had set up for tdi ( never goes below freezing) got it all fixed and cleaned out wire mesh over all air tubes , only to have more in garage ( turds all over ) so i set 3 diff traps and the lil fkr licks the **** clean No catch so i put glue trap down and dash peanut butter came back in morning nothing so im wiggin out cuz i do t want then getn up stairs , so next day go out and Bam the lil **** u.can see ate so PB and u can see marks all on glue trap but no mouse so now its been a week and no action in garage , im like *** happen to the one that was in here ?
So now i go out and lift open door to truck topper and i forgot 3 days before i had put this container of bird seed in box cuz chippy ( chip munk) was getn in it as i set it down on stump to set out later , so now the thing is empty , im like *** dam mouse squeezed thru lift gate crack , well that turd now i went to look in cab for something and notice **** all over , so i started truck and heater was left on and now im hearing seeds tumbling in blower , so im still working on that and now this morn i went to check cabin filter on TDI and notice some ball of chewed up rope on top and the ring not locked in
So i took it all out and thought man i hope the bastereds not in car so i open door and noticed **** turds everywere ugh , now i have no veh to drive cuz im not using car with fkn mice in it , so i spent all day tearing apart the golf , lo n behold theres a huge nest under spare tire hole , im like how the fk is it getn down in there when ive had cover over hole and to s of tools weighing it down , so my only guess is it has some way in from underside and it goes inbetween body n trim to rear and slips down into pocket spare tire is in , so my hands are full with these bastered everywere , so i set 3 traps inside 2 at tires 1 glue on engine cover and a 5 gal bucket trick. And i sat down just as it was now getn dark and i was txtn a friend and i heard a Snap , im like Fkn Yes , that sob dont waste no time getn to my car just after i walked away , so i did get that one and hoping it was the one thats been i. My car geez these mice sure cause alot of work

So if mice cant get in thru cabin filter. Then does anyone know of any areas i could look to see if thats were its getn in , cuz theres a opening somewere this things getn in

Last edited:

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I have seen them eat thru the big wire harness boot. Pull the wiper arms off and remove the plastic cover, clean out all the old leaves and you will be able to see clearly where they are getting in.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Mice are amazingly flexible. They can get through cracks that you would swear they could not.

I have a bag of mouse baits in the garage. Or rather, about a year ago I had one. The mice liked it enough to chew through the bag and eat the baits. Now there's a new batch moving in, so last week I bought a new bag.

Baits in the bottom of the air cleaner box and by the cabin air filter. And now several in my garage. That will help the population control.

I have a friendly neighborhood cat that is a regular in my back yard, but the cat steers clear of my garage.

Oh, well.

Oh, and in Phoenix, it could be rabbits as well as mice chewing on your wires. I have actually caught them under a hood when I popped it suddenly.

Cheers,

PH

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Found were the Lil sheet got in

Thanks for all your replys ;D even u lug head.
Men after tearing out the inner body panel of rear end of the 4 dr golf hatchback i found were the sheet head got in. Ok theres a plastic (3 fin) oneway vent right behind inner rear fenders the turd chewed thru small plastic rib that flappers rest on and got in thru rear of car thru that vent so hardware mesh screan over those 2 vents and i put hardware mesh over cabin filter already so Now car is mice proof intill one chews thru some body drain type of plug , what a choir this had become though i learned through this process
So anyone else ever get jerry in your ride you might check this rear vent and to save time tearing everything apart and out to get to vent , I would measure or right behind rear fender make 3 cuts , 2 up and say 5" across top and pull that flap down and vent will be right there im putn 1/4" mesh screwn over mine now and then flip flap up and just tape it becuase its in that small storage compartment .....