Most miles on BRM WITHOUT cam issues

jjohns72

TDI
2006 pkg 1 5sp
Sorry guys but i have to ask this question. I have been away from the forums for a long time and have returned because i recently bought a 2010 although i still have my 06.5 5speed. Last time i had frequented this forum the clutch/flywheel issues were all the rage and now i have retured to see an even larger uproar about cam failures. So who has the most miles on their A5 without any cam issues? This may have been covered in some of the other cam threads but some of them are approaching 100 pages so its hard for me to scan through for that info.

Personally I have 120k on my BRM without issue (never had the clutch/flywheel problem either). Thats not me trying to brag but I would imagine that there are plenty of people with more miles than me and im just curious if this cam problem is going to happen in every case or if its hit and miss.

I will openly admit that i dont have any of the engineering knowledge that many of the people in these cam threads have but I have been dying to ask a couple of questions to some of the people that are having these issues...

How are these cars with the problems being driven? I also notice that many of the people reporting these problems list being chipped in their signatures. Could that be a factor? Could driving these cars very aggressivly contribute to them?

Not knocking anybody that drives these TDI's this way but in no way would i consider these cars a "performance" or "fast" vehicle. My intention is to get the absolute best mileage possible so that means i drive it with that in mind. Just wondering if thats the difference between the people that are having these problems or if driving habits and or chipping has no relevance to the issue.

My Cam will probably crap out tomorrow for even bringing this topic up :eek: :eek: :eek:

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
177,500, runs great, flywheel has rattled for 100,000 miles. Slow warmup, long drives.

I know there are some higher.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
a note to OP and others:

The topic of this thread should sound like this: MOST MILES ON BRM WITHOUT CAM ISSUES AND I HAVE CHECKED THE CAM.

IMHO it's pointelss to say you've got 2xx,xxx miles on your car with original cam if you haven't checked it for premature wear.
Checked cam & found NO wear = NO ISSUE
Checked cam & found at least some wear = HAVE ISSUES

Last edited:

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
How about 330000 miles, I know of Thats the most I know of, He did his DMF a little while back, but haven't done his cam..

10000 OCI with 505.01 oil.

I have 102000, and 61000 on mine, no 505.01 here. with ZDDP.

Factors that effect cam wear, DRIVER, Envirnoment, cold weather driving, oiil weights, oil types, temperatures-engine/oil/ambient/exhaust. And many many more.

keyfarms

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thanks Mach1, I currently have 348,175 mi. I have not checked cam, I dont see a need at this point. My secret is LONG warm-ups, runs all day long, allow cool downs. 10,000 OCI, 505.01 since new, NO DEALER Oil Changes. I drive it mostly in the south.

Mach1

TDI
Sorry about posting for you..I just couldn't resist.

So what do you think is your 'key' to cam success? Long warm ups, that is a thought. I drive mine down a hill for 2 miles at 35mph, Slow warm up/ easy driving while cold. I wonder if you are on to something. I know Steves, was bad at 3XXXX miles and he drove very short distances, we threw that thought around.

No use in checking your cam-its fine. I would say the mileage shows that!

Did you get your axle/cv/boot done?

keyfarms

Veteran Member
TDI
I think the long warm ups are a big part of it, at least 10 to 15 mins.and I let it run all day long while I'm using the car, It idles while I stop for fuel, restroom breaks etc. I also do most of my driving on the highway with cruise set. I also just started adding a light dose of LUCAS to my engine oil changes.

And I got my CV axle rebuilt here in Memphis for 100 bucks..

Last edited:

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
keyfarms said:
My secret is LONG warm-ups, runs all day long, allow cool downs.
Could you please explain this more briefly? Thanks.

EDIT: also, how LONG would you allow your car to idle before considering a shutdown?

Last edited:

Sella Turcica

Veteran Member
TDI
none anymore
89,000 mi on my 05.5 TDI.
Checked cam (not the bearings), shows minor signs of wear.
Runs great. Here's how I look at it - if I can get through the next 3-4 years with regular services and one cam replacement, fine. If it turns into a cam, two axles, a dsg, a mechatronic... I'll never buy a vw again. So we'll just wait and see :D

keyfarms

Veteran Member
TDI
If I 'm gonna be stopped more than 20 mins. I will shut it down. When I get home I allow a 5 min cool down, Its really not that bad if You think about it, In the morning 15 mins before I want to leave I start it, when I get home I leave it running while I unload the car, suitcase, laptop,cell phone etc. When I stop on the road for fuel etc., I always carry my second key and lock the car up while parked and running. Not to mention this increases the life on your starter and alternator, battery, mine are still original.

Last edited:

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
I firmly agree that long warmups are important-to me, that means very gentle driving, not long idles. My flywheel rattles if it idles in Park (not if its in gear) so I tend not to do that.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
hid3 said:
a note to OP and others:

The topic of this thread should sound like this: MOST MILES ON BRM WITHOUT CAM ISSUES AND I HAVE CHECKED THE CAM.

IMHO it's pointelss to say you've got 2xx,xxx miles on your car with original cam if you haven't checked it for premature wear.
Checked cam & found NO wear = NO ISSUE
Checked cam & found at least some wear = HAVE ISSUES
How often would you have us disassemble our cams to check them? Every 100,000 miles? 50,000 miles? 20,000 miles? Every oil change?

I'll visually check mine each time the timing belt is done when the engine is opened up anyway. Anything more is onerous to me.

Bill

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Ski in NC said:
Checking each TB change seems fine. Or if you hear a change in engine noise. Otherwise, motor on...

Agreed, when the car exhibits NO indications of any engine trouble at all, there is no real need to disassemble it each oil change. LOL
:)

Bill

Mach1

TDI
I will check mine before I plan a good trip out of time, I need to know before I take the car very far.

Every few oil changes, if I am over 100000 or know that I have excessive wear.

I am still working it from the oil side and am trying to determine if I am slowing wear. So, I chart mileage vs.wear..So far so good..ELF CRV 0-30W. With a good dose of ZDDP.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
40X40 said:
How often would you have us disassemble our cams to check them?
It depends on you. When you feel it might worth. Personally I wouldn't pull mine or advise anyone to do that each oil change. Doing this increases a risk of doing damage: from oil contamination with dust, etc to accidental dropping an object in there (like a screw or something other). You might not even notice it.

Still it's a good idea to check the cam some time BEFORE the TB time: just to be sure if you have to purchase only a TB kit or a full TB+CAM kit :D

Mach1 said:
I am still working it from the oil side and am trying to determine if I am slowing wear. So, I chart mileage vs.wear..So far so good..ELF CRV 0-30W. With a good dose of ZDDP.
What is a 'good dose' of ZDDP (by you)? 506.01 oils are rich(er) in ZDDP by themselves, unlike 505.01 or 507.00.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
2oz, which puts me around 2000ppm at OC. on the Zn/PH levels. I like my 506.01 0W-30 oil.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Mach1 said:
2oz, which puts me around 2000ppm at OC. on the Zn/PH levels. I like my 506.01 0W-30 oil.
Sorry about asking similar questions many times but I just want to be sure:
1) 2oz gives you 2000 ppm in total (506.01 + ZDDPlus)
or
2) 2oz gives you +2000 ppm?

redlm

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta
It occurred to me that if there were no internet, most people would think their PD Jetta was a wonderful, trouble-free car.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
redlm said:
It occurred to me that if there were no internet, most people would think their PD Jetta was a wonderful, trouble-free car.
ha ha ha!:D

very true.

The thing is, there are still a large majority of people who don't take particularly amazing care of their vehicles, and rely on JiffyLube and the dealership for any maintenance. They DO think their Jetta is a wonderful trouble free car, until something major goes wrong (like with any other car) and they come here for help.

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Never checked mine. Sold the car this week. It had 24,xxx on it and never missed a beat.

Gave up cam issues for HOA issues.

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
80K on mine with no issues. Have used 507 oil since 20k and have added ZDDP starting at the 40k. Checked CAM at last service with minor wear on the number 3 exhaust lobe.

Mach1

TDI
Hid3..2000ppm at OC..

Translate as: I add 2oz of ZDDP with new oil. Run for 20000miles and extract oil, change filter, install ELF CRV 0W-30 and add back in 2oz ZDDP.

I oil analysis every oil change, the Oil analysis comes back with ~1800-2000ppm Zinc Ph. FE was 37ppm.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Mach1, that's nice numbers.

I shortened my OCI down to 6200 miles after having cam failure. I also do many cold starts, short trips, stop and go traffic so the shorter OCI won't hurt.

I'm using Motul Specific 505.01 which is 100% synthetic. However, I'm not sure how much ZDDP should I add to this oil for such OCI to keep the numbers right... Any ideas? Guess 1 oz might be more than enough....

Mach1

TDI
Let me ask you a question, how much ZN in your oil at change? out of the bottle?

If you shorted your OCI, that should do it for you, I like to see numbers.

I still stand that driving technique has more effect on the cam problem then oil or OCI...

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Mach1 said:
1. Let me ask you a question, how much ZN in your oil at change? out of the bottle?

2. If you shorted your OCI, that should do it for you, I like to see numbers.

3. I still stand that driving technique has more effect on the cam problem then oil or OCI...
1. I have no idea. Never dona neither VOA nor UOA (simply because I can't find a company here which does that). Searching for UOAs and VOAs of this oil shows that out of the bottle it might have nearly 960 ppm Zn and about 840 ppm when run 10k OCI. Just info based on other people's OAs of the same oil...
2. I expect it won't hurt, at least. As mentioned, haven't done the OA myself.
3. What do you mean? Yeah, everyone knows that running a PD (or ANY engine) at say 3000 RPM when it's stone cold isn't a good idea but I think apart general driving principles there shouldn't be any different techniques. Am I wrong here?