Most media outlets misrepresent settlement proposal

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I'm reposting this thread; it got merged into the 'kitchen sink' thread.

Even the New York Times gets it wrong:
In addition, owners will receive between $5,100 and $10,00 in compensation for having been misled.” (from http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/opinion/compensating-volkswagens-victims.html?_r=0)
Like many other media outlets, they make it sound like owners would get compensation independent of choosing buyback or repair. In truth the proposal says you get no compensation unless you let VW touch your car.

I assume some interested party (VW? EPA?) successfully placed a misleading news release. Very clever manipulation of public opinion. I hope enough owners complain about this during the comment period for the proposed settlement.

I hope we can keep this thread on the topic of media coverage of the settlement proposal.
Discussion about settlement proposal details, how much you should be getting, etc. all belong in other threads.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Yeah, four years of college to learn to write at the sixth-grade level...

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
Most media has proved themselves inept at best. Even the ones that try are moving so quickly to break a story that they just post things that have simply not been validated.

"Who cares what's in the document. We'll read it after it passes..."

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
I'm reposting this thread; it got merged into the 'kitchen sink' thread.
Even the New York Times gets it wrong:
In addition, owners will receive between $5,100 and $10,00 in compensation for having been misled.” (from http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/29/opinion/compensating-volkswagens-victims.html?_r=0)
Like many other media outlets, they make it sound like owners would get compensation independent of choosing buyback or repair. In truth the proposal says you get no compensation unless you let VW touch your car.
I assume some interested party (VW? EPA?) successfully placed a misleading news release. Very clever manipulation of public opinion. I hope enough owners complain about this during the comment period for the proposed settlement.
I hope we can keep this thread on the topic of media coverage of the settlement proposal.
Discussion about settlement proposal details, how much you should be getting, etc. all belong in other threads.
You see bogeymen around every corner dont you? Every time i see something on the news that i happen to be intimately familiar with i notice inaccuracies. Why should this be any different?