more inj pumps leaking again.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
well after about a year of no leaking inj pumps I now have three TDI in shop all with badly leaking inj pumps, and all running biodiesel, BUT! HERES A NEW TIP, if any one out their is looking to buy a used TDI with ALH engine and planning to run bio, check this out, all three of the cars in my shop, inj pumps WILL be covered by extended waranty!!! So if you are buying a used car from any dealer or used car lot look into buying a extended waranty contract and when pump starts leaking, replacement ? no problem, also some independent repair shops may also be able to do repairs through extended waranty, just in case your local dealer still gives you a hard time, :):cool:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
VWRobert: Let me just take this opportunity to let you know how much we appreciate having you on this board !!!!

With all the widespread dealership incompetence with regard to the TDI's, it's nice to have an "insider" who's knowledgable and has integrity!! Definitely the exception, unfortunately...

Yuri.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
THANK YOU all ! ITS been my quest to set the recourd straight ,and put to rest the misinformation thats out their, and I am trying to work on poor dealer experiance from my side, ALOHA :cool:

scvw79

TDI
IwishSilver
Good to hear...but i have to wonder if this is dealer to dealer or state to state. VW of Santa Cruz has repeatedly denied all claims to warranties for any vehicle that has run biodiesel. I have a MKIII Jetta TDI and first had to replace the top two seals, and now have to pull the whole pump to replace the leaking seals on the Solenoid Valve (N108). But Im at the point where Im looking into having the whole pump resealed and rebuilt good as new, as I dont want to do this again if the main shaft seal starts leaking...
As for the cause, Ive researched it a bit and found out that Biodiesel, even refinery grade B-100 lacks a lubricating quality found in todays petro-diesel. This causes increased friction and wear on top of biodiesels tendency to deteriorate rubber seals and hoses prematurely. Now, Ive been told that adding Redline Diesel Additive 85 Plus will combat both problems, when added a third bottle to each tank. I cant verify if this works, as after I get my pump rebuilt, Im not sure if I want to risk the hundreds of dollars on another rebild if it backfires. If there is anyone else out there is who is getting their Injector Pump Rebuilt and will be running Bio, Id love to hear about how its working out if you use the additive. Hope this helps someone...

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
SCVW79 this new policy on waranity and the use of bio will take some time to retrain all dealers thinking, as for now ,like i said in my post, if you want fuel inj pump waranty buy an aftermarket (non VW) extended waranty, and if pump leaks at a later date it should be covered, just make sure you have inj pump covered in waranty fine print, or if you can prove to vw that you have been using b-5 ,bio hey they have to give you waranty. after all they opened the door,

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
SCVW posted;
"This causes increased friction and wear on top of biodiesels tendency to deteriorate rubber seals and hoses prematurely."

If you get your fip rebuilt, ask the rebuilder to compare the gasket size to the new gasket. I'll bet it shrank. If so, it's not friction or rubber deterioration that caused the leaks.

BTW, my un-official 'shrunken gasket' count is now +3( vwrobert) and +1 , +10 (justin Soares ) = 24+

Last edited: