More Horsepower help. Bigger Turbo maybe?

2003TDI907

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon
K so I need some help with getting a turbo. I have a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon with a Stage 3 tune from KermaTDI, Upgraded Injectors from KermaTDI, and a brand new stage 2 daily clutch from southbend clutch with. I am wanting to upgrade my turbo but I don't know what one to upgrade too. I am looking for something that have a faster spool up and a larger boost range. I don't really know wether to get the VNT- 17 from KermaTDI or to get the 17plus from KermaTDI. If I were going to get one of those two, what would I have to upgrade to support it? Right now Im in the 130Hp to 140 Hp range. I want to be close to the 180hp to 200Hp range? I don't know if going to bigger turbo will get me there but thats why Im asking.

Hinzipwo

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (auto)
well first of all, you most likely wont experience faster spool on a vnt-17. you'll probably have more lag, but more boost over the rev range especially with the amount of boost you can push out of a vnt-17 compared to a stock vnt-15. to reach your power goals you will most definitely need a vnt-17 or some other turbo that can handle more boost, along with a 3 bar map sensor or even a 4 bar. also, if you plan on buying a new turbo you will need an adapter pipe to fit your stock intercooler piping, although most sites include this with the kit for an added price. if your injectors are big enough you may not have to get new ones but you will certainly need a retune, but since you mentioned you are tuned through kerma i belive they do retunes for fairly cheap. if you try to reach that power goal on your stock turbo you will more than likey grenade that poor vnt-15.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
This is what I've gathered relating to your question over many years asking the same question myself.
There are two tried-n-true options

VNT-17: You will want to upgrade your internals such as rods, intake, cam up, and go big injectors+tune. This will get you close to 170hp.

2260vklr: you will have to do everything above plus asv pistons if you want 180-200.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You don't have to upgrade internals to run a 17 with 22-24 PSI boost. They'll be fine, as long as you don't go stupid big on fueling. But I also don't think you'll get to 180 WHP with that turbo. There are better options out there, now, 2260 is one of them.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
You don't have to upgrade internals to run a 17 with 22-24 PSI boost. They'll be fine, as long as you don't go stupid big on fueling. But I also don't think you'll get to 180 WHP with that turbo. There are better options out there, now, 2260 is one of them.
I have to elaborate on my reply as I completely missed what I wanted to specify--. swapping out ALH internals for PD specific parts, such as rod and pistons.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
PD has larger big end journals so the rods won't swap without also changing the crankshaft.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, the GTD1752vrk sounds like just the ticket for your goals. It probably spools even quicker than the OE turbo.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
That is generally true, but the GTD series turbos are several generations more advanced than the ALH OE turbos. One of the advancements is vastly improved spool.