Monsoon / VW Navi Voltage Output

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
This question is directly related to Lito's thread.

I am not an audiophile; my last experience with installing a "high-end" radio was a Pioneer unit into my '63 Chevy Impala convertible back in the late '60's.

Now, having clarified my audio experience, while speaking with the guy who does my car audio work, I mentioned the degraded audio quality experienced by some members who have Monsoon systems and that have installed a VW Navi system.

He asked me to find out what the "voltage output" was for each system from the headunit. His thought was that maybe the Navi had more voltage output by itself than the stock headunit connected to the Monsoon amp would have.

If so, his thought was that by installing what he refers to as "stepdown line voltage regulators", the output could be regulated to meet the requirements of the Monsoon speakers.

Does anyone know what the voltage output of each system is?

Any information will be greatly appreciated...

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Intersting John,

I know the Navi has better sound than the OEM head unit but no idea what the output voltage would be. That's an interesting solution. Maybe you can get one and we can try it out? Are they expensive?

L

okimavich

Veteran Member
TDI
`16 Audi A6
Interesting.

I believe the Monsoon Amp does not have speaker-level inputs. If the Navi is sending an amplified signal (speaker-level), then the Monsoon is trying to amplify an already amplified signal. This usually results in buzzing and fuzzy sounds as the unit is trying to amplify outside of it's range.

But Lito explained (on the phone) that the distortion was more a misbalanced sound, even echoing, at a certain frequency range. If an electrical signal "echos" or rings, I believe that this is usually from an impedence missmatch between source and reciever. Any Circuits Guys out there want to confirm this?

Anyone know the Navi's output and Monsoon input specs? I would assume that they would be standard, but then again, we're talking two side of a big pond.

But in the meantime, can anyone check to see if the input signal to the Monsoon Amp (from the Navi) is line-level or speaker-level? Easiest way I can think of is to use a Voltmeter or just stick a speaker on it and see how it sounds.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
John, why don't we plan on taking some readings next weekend? I'll bring my meter.

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So a little bit more information. If you turn down the volume, until you can't hear the music anymore there will still be the bass playing through the speakers.

Not at full volume, but a lower thumping of the bass. My Jetta doesn't do this, when you can't hear the music you can't hear the music.

So that's probably the best way to describe the problem.

If you've got the OEM Navi and Monsoon could you please try this as well?

thanks,

Lito

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I am not so sure I still want to install this unit......
Anybody want to buy my set-up
Lito has this question been posed on Club B5 or the Navi site?

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
So a little bit more information. If you turn down the volume, until you can't hear the music anymore there will still be the bass playing through the speakers.

Not at full volume, but a lower thumping of the bass. My Jetta doesn't do this, when you can't hear the music you can't hear the music.

So that's probably the best way to describe the problem.

If you've got the OEM Navi and Monsoon could you please try this as well?

thanks,

Lito
Just tried it.

Turn down the volume you get nothing. Just like the Monsoon.

Not sure why your 2004 is reacting different than my 2003...

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
I am not so sure I still want to install this unit......
Anybody want to buy my set-up
Lito has this qustion been posed on Club B5 or the Navi site?
Tom,

Don't sell your system yet...according to my audio systems guy, if the Navi headunit puts out more line voltage than the stock OEM headunit, line voltage regulators will solve the problem and I trust him completely...

I say you wait until after we figure this out and then decide if you want to keep or sell your Navi.