Monsoon Radio in non Monsoon setup problem

jvdm

TDI
2000 / non TDI 2002 Miata
Hi fellow TDI'lers,

I have a 2004 GL TDI. Somebody ripped out the radio and caused a lot of damage. I was finally able to get everything back together after getting some parts from eBay. I got a double DIN Monsoon radio but I think the speakers are non Monsoon and there's no amplifier in the trunk.
When I turn up the volume the radio will mute at a certain level (not very loud) and I have to turn off the power get it going again.
Was wondering if anybody knows how to fix that. I read that you can change certain settings using a VAG-Com (basically telling the radio it's in a non Monsoon environment) but I don't know if that will resolve my issue.

Thanks a lot!

J.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
You will need the crossover amp that is supposed to be in the trunk.

If they are non-oem speakers then you will also need to research what resistance levels they should be and correct accordingly.

jvdm

TDI
I noticed that I can crank up the volume quite a bit if the engine is not running. If it is running the radio turns off the volume quickly.

I will look into the amplifier thing. Does anybody know if all models come pre-wired? I took a look in the trunk and couldn't find any plugs for the amplifier.

Thanks!

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'm guessing it would only come with wiring for the monsoon system if you actually had the monsoon system in the car.

thermo

TDI
Mk4 Jetta (2000) 175k mi
The wiring is completely different.
Even in the doors, as I recently discovered.
On Monoon setups, there is a separate two-wire lead for the door tweeter coming directly from the amp. In non-Monsoon configs, the tweeter feed is taken from the lower door speaker. The lower door speaker has a capacitor soldered to it to provide low-pass filtering for the tweeter.

jvdm

TDI
My solution was to switch radios, had another 2003 double DIN sitting around but didn't have the code, a guy from Passatworld.com helped me retrieving it. Now everthing is fine, iPod adapter installed and I can crank it up as loud asI like.
Thanks for the responses!
J.