Momentary flashing red "Brake" light in display, what's up?

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Took the A4 that I replaced all the brake hydraulics on last month out for a short drive. Pedal firmness seems better so I tried a fairly hard stop from 60 MPH. Stooped straight and way sooner than I expected, but the "Brake" warning light flashed red a couple times then disappeared. Made a few more test stops at lower speeds on mixed dry/wet/snow surfaces with as quick a stops as the surface would allow and ABS doing it's job and I couldn't get the light to come back on. Scanned with VAGCOM and no DTCs. So what's wrong with my brakes?

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Is the master cylinder still topped up? The fluid level sensor is in the fluid cap, perhaps it detected fluid movement during the hard stop?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
The few flashes then goes away could be a faulty brake light switch or both bulbs being burned out as well. But it'll flash again a few more times in a matter of minutes.

Maybe it was just a fluke. I can't remember what the brake pads sensor does if you forget to plug it in, I coded that out with VCDS

vandermic07

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 5 spd, 03 Jetta Wagon
There is a light special for the brake wear sensor. Its round and orange on my 01. The only time my "BRAKE" light has come on was when fluid was low. Could be the sensor or broken wire.

It could be like the false oil pressure alarm that just randomly goes off. A new sensor fixes that.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
If it only happened during a hard stop, it's possible the level is just low enough, that under hard breaking the sensor saw a low level. I wouldn't suggest bringing it "full to the rim", but topping it up might be worth a try.

It could also be the sensor on the e-brake handle.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
If you changed the brake fluid recently, could have been an errant bubble causing a sensor to trip, changing the level, or a slight pressure pulse. Getting the rear lines completely bled can be tricky.