MOGolf upgrades his springs

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Thanks goes to Dan at Hillside Imports for obtaining the springs, IMPEX for the other bits and pieces, and Gearhead for lending a hand on the install.

As most of us are aware the VW steel skid plate adds weight to the car's nose. Combined with about 109K miles, and carrying a few things
to GTGs, the original springs were getting soft(er). Even though I have Bilstein HD struts and shocks, struts and shocks are not meant to support the vehicle, only to dampen the spring oscillations.

I decided it was time to get new springs. Preferring to remain close to factory fit of parts, I investigated VW's selection of springs. Cars built for North America don't get much in the way of choices. It's mushy, or "sport".
European cars have other choices.

The skid plate is part of a "rough road" package. This includes different springs, struts, shocks, a bearing spacer for the front struts, brake line protector and fuel line protector. I have the latter protectors installed (covered in another upgrades thread), so I decided to get the proper springs and spacers associated with the "heavy duty suspension" part of this package, keeping the Bilstein HDs instead of getting VW issue struts and shocks. They have about 56K miles on them and are in good working condition still.

Investigation of my car showed 'L10' as the spring code for my automatic equipped Mk IV Golf. 'L09' is the code typically found on manual transmission equivalents. This provided the weight range for the springs of 731-760KG as noted in VW information.

Since I added weight to the front of the car (skid plate) and carry a few things, as noted, I decided to up the weight range while changing the springs. That meant going through information about the "G10" code for the "rough road" package and finding the correct spring code for the weight range. I selected the L47 code for the 751-785KG range. There is only one more higher weight range (the L52 code springs rated 786-840KG) but I thought that might be getting a bit too stiff for an unloaded car situation.

Having made the selection I ordered the springs from Hillside Imports and for approx. $330 delivered I got 4 new springs to install. The other parts (bolts, nuts, bearings, spacers, bushings) I got from IMPEX.

Front spring p/n 1H9 411 105 F (4 white, 1 blue dots)
Rear spring p/n 1J0 511 115 G (3 silver, 1 green dots)

Gearhead came over to assist and we took a test drive with the original worn springs. We both agreed that nose dive was becoming prominent during cornering. We measured the ground-to-top-of-wheel-opening height at each wheel. 66.8cm (RF), 67cm (LF), 69.2cm (both rear) with front tires at 35psi and rears at 38psi (what I typically run unloaded).

Then we installed the rear springs and went for a test. Handling was, how shall I put it, not acceptable. The test was short and we returned for fitting the fronts. Then we took the same test course as the original drive and there was a very different car in my hands. Cornering was much better and could be achieved at higher speeds. Nose dive is practically nil even when coming to a straight stop. Ride is stiffer, but not unacceptable. Lowering the air pressures could soften the ride.

Vehicle height is notably different too. Front came up to 70.1cm on both sides and the rear to 70.9cm on both sides.

Gearhead measured the thickness of the coils for the springs.
Stock rear 10.8mm, HD 11.57mm
Stock front 12.25mm, HD 13.47mm

I'll let gearhead add his own opinions and observations about the ride difference.

Note: these are springs for the Golf. The proper selection for similar springs to equip a Jetta/Bora or NB must be done if you intend to upgrade one of those vehicles in a this manner.

I'll post again after they've been worn for awhile and I get a chance to load up the car for a true 'heavy hauler' test.

Last edited:

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D
Excellent post as usual MoGolf. I'm looking forward to reading your updated 'heavy hauler' review.

I'm still running the plastic 'dust cover' as other things have taken priority ... BUT want to get the steel skid plate on prior to winter. Your comments about dipping and diving are making me edgy as I'm already sensing a bit of a dip when entering a corner hard. Anyway thanks for the great post.

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI
Mogolf, congratulations on the upgrade.

Funnily enough, just this weekend I put the heavy duty suspension spacers onto my front shocks (under the bearings), because after 1 year my Eibach suspension went a tad too low and I managed to tear the underside of the front bumper on a kerb. The drive is pretty much the same, there probably is a bit more air drag at high speeds. Perhaps next year in summer I'll put a new front bumper from Octavia vRS, that one has an air dam so should be better for my needs.

For my future reference, where did you find the spring code (dots) vs weight range table? I could use one in a year or 2, when I guess the Eibachs will drop even further.

BTW, I also did a 6x6in intercooler wheel well vent this weekend. And I put temperature probe into intercooler and checked performance with/without the vent. It definitely cools down quicker with the vent, the difference is bigger at lower speeds (0-60mph) (stop/go traffic).

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
For my future reference, where did you find the spring code (dots) vs weight range table? I could use one in a year or 2, when I guess the Eibachs will drop even further.
Etka

resinguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, Silver
"For my future reference, where did you find the spring code (dots) vs weight range table? I could use one in a year or 2, when I guess the Eibachs will drop even further."

Look at the 'sticky' topic at the top of this category.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I am pleased to report that these springs performed just right while hauling stuff for hundreds of miles.
An excellent improvement in the ride.

gearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Ride & handling impressions:

This is a well balanced kit, a nice option for those seeking to improve handling without lowering or adversely affecting ride quality. The test loop covered approximately 8 miles, a mixture of off camber turns, switch backs, 'S' turns & hastily repaired road surface conditions with an occasional deep dip in pavement. The speed was noted on each segment of highway (repeated as closely as possible).

Impressions:

Before, entering the turn, the car had a tendency to under steer (want to continue straight momentum), felt as though the rear was pushing the car & the front was trying hard to make the turn, all while leaning into corners. The outside front tire seemed stressed & spring compressed. When rough pavement encountered, the shock would dampen but the spring was slow to recover to original height. Sudden stops would push nose down, with slow rebound.

After instillation, on the same turn, the handling was more neutral. When navigating a corner, the front end was in charge with the rear following its lead (working in unison). The outside front tire seemed less stressed. The spring/shock combination was quicker to respond & rebound from quick moves in the steering wheel. Rough pavement ride was slightly improved, especially in washboard surfaces (my impression) as the suspension was quicker to rebound in preparation for the next undulation. Quick sudden stop nose dive was completely eliminated.

Note: on a couple bends, I had to remind MO Golf to adhere to the original speed (what we navigated at 25mph was now 35)

Daan

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf TDI
GH - could your compare the ride with your suspension mods vs. Mogolf's ? You have a stiffer spring and softer shock, while he has a softer spring and a stiffer shock.

gearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
GH - could your compare the ride with your suspension mods vs. Mogolf's ? You have a stiffer spring and softer shock, while he has a softer spring and a stiffer shock.
Comparing, mogolfs is fine without a rear swaybar, mine needed it (both systems seem similar now). I have stock US Jetta rear springs with a 25mm Neuspeed rear swaybar. Regarding the fronts, very close but my struts are a tad soft with the steel skid plate. When I get the extra $$, I'm gonna get a set of HD's for the front. Is this helpful?

Revisited: The HD's would be my choice with the steel skid plate addition. Without this plate, it is fine.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
How are they working out for you?

Still impressed I'm assuming. I'm looking to dump my Eibach Pro kit since the dampers have about 80K and are pretty blown. The car is way over sprung and under damped now.

jasonTDI

TDI
Anybody else do something similar? I need to get the car back up out of the weeds and want it to ride better. The lousy WI roads are killing me.

jasonTDI

TDI
Thanks,

I was looking for something like that. So you have thee VR6 Tc's if I read that right. I have the Eibach prokit now and would probably keep the rears and swap the fronts with the VR6 springs and then install the new struts all around. The struts are gone so the car is was over sprung and underdamped. Not a comfortable ride to say the least. And I want to get the nose up. Right now it's tipped down at anout a 10 Deg angle. Just the way the springs are currently.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
MoGolf - can you update us as to how this combo has held up?

I was planning on a 2 inch lift for my 2001 Golf shortly, but after reading this, I might drop that lift to a 1" and explore your new spring combo ideas. :)

My goal is increased under-car clearance - and the creation of something a bit unique in my area... ;)

Duane

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
ok. I 've am looking at ETKA. I can find the list of front springs and their paint codes, I cannot find the weight range. For the rears, there only seems to be one spring, 3 green 1 silver dot ( for a Jetta ). Am I blind ??

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It has held up quite well and gearhead still likes it the last time he was a passenger.

These are European springs that don't show up in US ETKA.

weasel

TDI
None.
Crappy. Oh well. I know that with almost 270k on the car, I am probably due for springs ( and I think the shocks are original too ... ) I just need some support in the rear for now. Maybe some air springs ....

weasel

TDI
None.
Speaking of which, does anyone have any approximate dimensions of the rear springs ( height and diameter ? ) I spotted something on fleabay that I thought interesting. If not, I'll go outside in the sub-zero temps to measure.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
MOGolf said:
It has held up quite well and gearhead still likes it the last time he was a passenger.

These are European springs that don't show up in US ETKA.
Not sure you'll know this off the top of your head, but here goes...

Is there a way for us Canadians to find these parts?

weasel

TDI
None.
Oh, the you can look up the springs in US ETKA ( cause I can find them ), just not the load ranges I guess.

weasel

TDI
None.
Parts look up software that VW uses. Hard to come by. Was on the net, but I don't know if it still is or where for that matter.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
weasel said:
Parts look up software that VW uses. Hard to come by. Was on the net, but I don't know if it still is or where for that matter.
Which just leads me back to my original question, and I'll clarify:

For those of us without access to ETKA, and in Canada, how do we source parts like this?

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Last resport, order them from worldimpex and have them ship to you.

They list them by the part numbers below as special order European parts:

Front spring p/n 1H9 411 105 F (4 white, 1 blue dots)
Rear spring p/n 1J0 511 115 G (3 silver, 1 green dots)

Jason

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just note that my springs were for a Golf. I have not verified what is appropriate for a Jetta.