Mods- New clutch necessary?

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I've held off chipping and doing heavy mods until my 50k warranty expired, But, now that I'm here, I'm concerned about clutch slippage with mods. Do I need to upgrade the clutch if I:
1. Upsolute only?
2. Upsolute and go with larger injectors?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
As a northerner, I've been advised that an Upsolute chip will make the clutch slip when it's cold. As you're in Florida, this may not be much of a problem.

On a side note....why the heck do people in hot, sunny places buy black cars?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

eluwak

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5sp Pkg 2 Black/Anthracite
I had ups (only) in my Jetta and only had my clutch slip once... During a several hour long backup of I4 and I did mostly stop and go never leaving 1st or 2nd. It took the bigger injectors in combination with my new chip to make the clutch slip. In Florida the slip problem is pretty much a non-issue with only a chip.

robere

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2003
With my tuning box from speed busters, my clutch only slipped once in the cold (when the temps were -20 C), and I've had my Tuning Box in for 12 000kms . ..

Does tuning box and Chip apply for the same thing? I only have a tuning box in though

Just like to add that . . . /images/graemlins/grin.gif

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note....why the heck do people in hot, sunny places buy black cars?! /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Same reason why northerners buy black cars.. so we have to wash them every day. But, oh how nice they look for that 30 minute period after they're washed... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
I have UPsolute as my only engine mod. I don't race, seldom drive "agressively", and would like my car to last long enough to actually own it. My clutch started slipping in 3rd-5th at about 35k miles. After much investigation, I settled on the Spec Stage 1 organic clutch. I have had it in for about a month, and it has made the bug a joy to drive. No more worrying if I'm going to be able to get around Walt and Edna before the NPZ sign. BTW, I didn't find that warmer temperatures lessened my clutch slipping. I think it's a placebo effect.