Mobile 1 esp 5w-40 in a gasser

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
Oilhammer - yes, it makes alot of sense to use a diesel if you have a long commute. I used to do a 80 mile round trip most days, and that was not exceptional. I think quite a few cover much larger mileages, especially in the southeast where they might well commute to London from Bristol. Poor devils! Thankfully, I no longer have that drudgery and as you probably know the density of traffic here is horrendous, but maybe not unlike the Boston area. Only part of USA I've driven in was MA - a great vacation.:D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VW 507.00 oils use very high quality base stocks, but the chemical limits required by DPF equipped engines really reduce the additive treat levels. Based on the analyses I've seen to date, I'd say 15,000 mile oil change intervals are achievable in the CBEA engines under ideal conditions. If you were able to safely run an API/CJ-4 oil in the new TDI's, I'd think that 20k-25k intervals would be achievable.

TS
One thing I have noticed about the CBEA engines: the oil STINKS bad when drained, and it is SUPER HOT. Unscientific of course, but without a doubt VERY different than any of the VE or PD VAG diesels, and the MB CR diesels we also commonly service. I mean when you crack the drain plug on a VAG CR engine on the lift, you can smell it 2 bays away. Smells like burnt butt hair and asphalt, and you can easily burn your hand if the engine was just running at operating temp.

I would be curious if any of this plays out in a UOA on these engines as being anything to worry about.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
ruking- are you using Delvac1 or TDT?
While I do not MIX them, I use them interchangeably. Batches of Mobil One TDT gotten @ local (distant also) WalMarts. Delvac One purchased @ a local truck stop/oil distributor (Western States)

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
One thing I have noticed about the CBEA engines: the oil STINKS bad when drained, and it is SUPER HOT. Unscientific of course, but without a doubt VERY different than any of the VE or PD VAG diesels, and the MB CR diesels we also commonly service. I mean when you crack the drain plug on a VAG CR engine on the lift, you can smell it 2 bays away. Smells like burnt butt hair and asphalt, and you can easily burn your hand if the engine was just running at operating temp.

I would be curious if any of this plays out in a UOA on these engines as being anything to worry about.
What do you make of this?

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Does the CBEA have a reduced sump capacity, compared to earlier TDI's? That would certainly make the oil run hotter on average.

I suspect the smell is from some of the new ashless additives they're using.

TS

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I don't think it is any difference in the oil itself, I think it is the DFI system. The capacity is essentially the same as the BRM, as is the filter. The oil pan has a little soft cozy around it, I assume for sound mitigation more than anything.

The CR engines do run quite 'rich' during regen periods, that may be cooking the oil moreso than previous designs.

I am curious as to the opinions others have that have serviced them along with previous PD and VE cars if they notice the same thing. This is on several cars, at every service, not just an isolated incident. Only oils we have used are Castrol SLX LL03 and LiquiMoly TopTech 4200, both are 5w30 507.00 oils.

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Compared to my earlier ('85 & '97) Jettas, my 2002 TT Quattro has a design where the engine is fully encapsulated on top & bottom. This allows for faster warmups & reduced emissions. However, it also takes forever for the motor to cool down in my garage. I wouldn't be surprised if the latest TDI's aren't also designed to get up to temperature as quickly as possible & to run hotter in the interest of higher thermal efficiency.

TS

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
most VW gas engines were designed to run hot. The CR TDI more so due to the emmisions system. I wonder if those engines will start sludging like the 1.8Ts

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
The longitudinally mounted 1.8L turbos had some fundamental design issues. The transversely mounted, 225 Hp engine on my TT (4.5L sump), seems to do just fine. I've been running 10k intervals & the oil tests out fine.

The EGT's in turbodiesels are generally lower than for gas engine turbos. In addition, a TDI burns much less fuel over a given service interval. Finally, dilution from diesel fuel isn't nearly as detrimental as dilution from gas containing 10% ethanol.

TS