Mobil fuel vs. Sunoco

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
While not being a fan of Mobil I tend to avoid them at the pump. Their RUG prices are almost always higher by about 8 cents/gallon. But, when driving by a mobil station that is across from the Sunoco station there was a peculiar little sign out front. It said "Do you know what's in your gas? No additives here." Sunoco does post that the gas contains 10% ethanol. Mobil does claim to have better fuel (but don't they all?)

I'll get off the gasoline and ask about diesel. Who has the better fuel? In my area my only choices are Sunoco and Mobil. There a couple of unbranded stations around and I don't know where it comes from. There is no ULSD around here that's posted greater than 40 cetane.

Is there a reason to switch to Mobil? Let's consider that the price is about the same for ULSD. Also, there is no premium diesel available. No bio either.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
More often than not the fuel in different brands in a given area will be coming from the same tank at the distributor. While differences and additive packages are possible, those differences are not likely to be the same at stations 100 miles away. For the most part those differences are meaningless.

Even certain differences are not really all that important for most drivers.

So any advice that might be true for me in central Ohio is not likely to be true in NY.

2slowtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Bora gone. 2006 Benz CDI 235hp 420ftlbstq
Use the place that sells the most,,then you will have better fuel.

I have always used Power Service or the like and tend to use name brands so if I do end up with a fuel problem there is more of a chance that it will be taken care of.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
n8ronJ said:
While not being a fan of Mobil I tend to avoid them at the pump. Their RUG prices are almost always higher by about 8 cents/gallon. But, when driving by a mobil station that is across from the Sunoco station there was a peculiar little sign out front. It said "Do you know what's in your gas? No additives here." Sunoco does post that the gas contains 10% ethanol. Mobil does claim to have better fuel (but don't they all?)

I'll get off the gasoline and ask about diesel. Who has the better fuel? In my area my only choices are Sunoco and Mobil. There a couple of unbranded stations around and I don't know where it comes from. There is no ULSD around here that's posted greater than 40 cetane.

Is there a reason to switch to Mobil? Let's consider that the price is about the same for ULSD. Also, there is no premium diesel available. No bio either.
I think it's time for you to go back and review the standards for ULSD. This will address your lingering concerns.

n8ronJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d XDrive, 2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5speed Platinum Grey (sold), 2010 Jetta 6speed (bought back)
Some of the busiest stations are the indian reservation ones. Even though it's cheaper, by 50-60 cents in some cases, I'm not sure what I'm getting.
I did fill up yesterday at a place that's one of the least expensive and has a dedicated island for thier diesel pumps. I'll probably fill there a couple more times to track the mpg more accurately. I've no idea what supplier they use.
Incidentally, my last tank was without powerservice. I figured I'd try it without and see how performance was. So far, it was just as good and I posted one of my better mpgs at 50.67. I'm doing a consecutive tank now w/o it. My driving style is the biggest factor in getting good FE.