Mobil 1 TDT deal at Autozone

puntmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW
Aprilia, I am out of my leaque on the motorbike/wet-clutch issue. I know nothing about it - I just vaguely remember reading it in a Q&A for the Mobil TDT.

Is it that on motorbikes the clutch/transmission/and engine might all use the same oil?

I actually once had an Aprilia....a ditech scooter :).

50cc, and would do 55mph!

Thing kept getting stolen - 3 times....and that doesn't count 2 attempted thefts while I was on it! (Baltimore.....)

Last edited:

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta BEW/2006 Jetta BRM
Okay Thanx...I'll read up on the TDT on Mobil's site myself.

So all your bikes and 4 wheelers are non wet clutches?
All my bikes are wet clutch.

If you're concerned about the oil not being JASO MA certified I would suggest looking into rotella t6 in bikes. There are many more people using that. TDT is superior.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
I just failed at one store. They had 12qts. I grabbed it all. Rang up at $115. No thank you.

Two associates claimed this is a per store clearance. I'm thinking they just haven't gotten the message. They didn't even know that the 1 gallon containers were right on the sale paper as they didn't carry the one gallon jugs.

newto914s

TDI
99.5 Jetta
My local Autozone wouldn't honor the price when I questioned why it wasn't marked down on the shelf. So I went to another one and just brought it to the counter. It rings out at 12.99 a gallon. In case someone gets flak from the parts guys.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
Just had two more failures on 1qt containers.

I'm thinking the 1qt deal is dead. Can someone else validate this? The three Stores all claimed their computers were up to date. When provided two successful receipts they claimed it was a local clearance only.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Yep

My local Autozone wouldn't honor the price when I questioned why it wasn't marked down on the shelf. So I went to another one and just brought it to the counter. It rings out at 12.99 a gallon. In case someone gets flak from the parts guys.

You do need to bring it to the counter and have them scan it, all the sales people are doubtful about the price and end up shocked when scanned.

I went to 2 more AZ and bought 8 more gallons, makes a total of 15 gallons!

Need to keep both TDI's just so I can use this oil up!

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Exactly, the store clerks can hardly believe the sale price (gallon jugs). I did't bother to check on quarts! (actually forgot to look):eek:

Also, definitely ask to verify the price!

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
My local did not have the deal on the 1 qt, just the gallons, and I bought all they had. I may have to make a trip tomorrow to find more, but it's a 60 miles drive to do so.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
My local did not have the deal on the 1 qt, just the gallons, and I bought all they had. I may have to make a trip tomorrow to find more, but it's a 60 miles drive to do so.

You do have a TDI that gets 45 mpg, No sweat there just the time.
Could call first.

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
I'm well over 60 gallons...

I stopped bringing it inside when I filled up the basement. I need to unload my cars and get the rest in here. Might be closer to 100 gallons. Dunno how much Ive actually purchased...

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'm well over 60 gallons...

I stopped bringing it inside when I filled up the basement. I need to unload my cars and get the rest in here. Might be closer to 100 gallons. Dunno how much Ive actually purchased...
You have an oil problem... ;)

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Whatcha gonna do with all that oil? You have a hording complex, seek help! That's really not living in the real world. OK, ya think yer gonna resell it at some phenomenal profit? Get a life dude.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Last time I was in my local AZ, they didn't have it at all. They claimed they sold it all off in a sale of some kind and are not stocking it any more. Time to go reassess the situation. I recently bought a couple gallons at $26 per gal. but this deal is pretty undeniable. Sorry, I didn't read through all this thread. Do you need a specific coupon or be a member of their 'rewards' club?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Whatcha gonna do with all that oil? You have a hording complex, seek help! That's really not living in the real world. OK, ya think yer gonna resell it at some phenomenal profit? Get a life dude.
Jelly?

Chill out. :rolleyes:

Besides - we already know he has a hoarding complex. That isn't news. ;)

Also, a bit of quick math - the oil pictured is only enough for 60,000 miles worth of oil changes in my truck (part of the reason why it is parked most of the time). :eek:

Last edited:

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
Jelly?

Chill out. :rolleyes:

Besides - we already know he has a hoarding complex. That isn't news. ;)

Also, a bit of quick math - the oil pictured is only enough for 60,000 miles worth of oil changes in my truck (part of the reason why it is parked most of the time). :eek:
What truck is that? If you don't have it already, have you considered a bypass filter? Barring any abnormalities like fuel dilution a bypass should allow you to happy extend your service intervals.

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
I disagree. People do have other vehicles. I use tdt in our two sv650 bikes and an ltr450 quadracer. At 2.5qt every 1500 miles or 10hrs I can burn through about 12 gallons a year with just those three.

The tdi gets changed at 5k so that's another 4 or 5 gallons.

All together we use about 16 gallons a year. That factors out to around 6 years.

That may sound like too much, but think about it, are you ever NOT going to have a vehicle? That's unlikely. So you'll need oil for them.

This is my haul. The green bottles were all $1/qt. The 1qt containers of tdt were $1. The gallons were $13.

I figure for the green bottles I have about a three year supply. For the TDT it's about a year.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Went to another store in town and they did NOT have the $1/quart deal. I showed them the receipt from the other store and finally got them to price match and honor it. I can post up a picture of the receipt if anyone wants to give it a try.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What truck is that? If you don't have it already, have you considered a bypass filter? Barring any abnormalities like fuel dilution a bypass should allow you to happy extend your service intervals.

F350 6.0 POWERSTROKE. 4 gallons of oil changed every 5,000 miles (when it sounds like it wants to be changed). They are known for shearing the hell out of the oil (3,000 psi oil pressure on the high pressure side of the system) and for having injector issues (which are driven hydraulically by the aforementioned 3,000 psi oil pressure). A bypass kit won't do anything for the shear - use good oil changed regularly for long injector life.

Anyway, that's enough topic drift for me... Let's see those oil stash pics!!

Last edited:

poormanq45

Veteran Member
TDI
F350 6.0 POWERSTROKE changed every 5,000 miles (when it sounds like it wants to be changed). They are known for shearing the hell out of the oil (3,000 psi oil pressure on the high pressure side of the system) and for having injector issues (which are driven hydraulically by the aforementioned 3,000 psi oil pressure). A bypass kit won't do anything for the shear - use good oil changed regularly for long injector life.

Ah, I've read a little about the injector issues. Isn't that one of the Ford engine that also has excess blowby issues which further destroy the oil? :eek:

Man, I thought the cam wear in the TDI BRM was rough!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
F350 6.0 POWERSTROKE. 4 gallons of oil changed every 5,000 miles (when it sounds like it wants to be changed). They are known for shearing the hell out of the oil (3,000 psi oil pressure on the high pressure side of the system) and for having injector issues (which are driven hydraulically by the aforementioned 3,000 psi oil pressure). A bypass kit won't do anything for the shear - use good oil changed regularly for long injector life.

Yes I work at a plant where we remanufacture 6.0 Powerstrokes. I think it was a Ford nightmare trying to meet emissions. Personally I like the 7.3L DI engine better. The 6.4L Ford Engine is a little bit better but as a Common Rail it has it's own issues.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The 6.0 has actually been pretty good to me. It's a very powerful engine and aside from a few issues has been very reliable (it's a blast to drive, too). It's a 2003, so the first year of the 6.0, which is apparently more problematic, but based on my experiences and what I've read, the middle year models ('04 and '05) were actually worse.

The 6.4 is a boost beast. If you're a boostaholic, the 6.4 is for you (especially tuned... 65 psi, anyone?). The 7.3 is of course the workhorse and most reliable of the models. As for the new 6.7, people seem to like them so far... I haven't driven one yet.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Well,I'm set for oil-bought another 3 today at Autozone-now have 8 total. The store manager really raised his eyebrows when I asked if it still was on sale and the sale price showed up;)..... 2 separate purchases (2gallons on 1, a gallon and rear wiper blade for the subie on another)to get the points. I did not see any quarts,however. I will check again when I go to town later to get some concrete anchors-need to build a small wall to my basement entrance-creek is rising pretty fast w/ snowmelt and heavy rain is predicted:mad:.......anybody feel like doing a count of how many gallons of TDT this thread has sold? I'm at 8......

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
It's a 2003, so the first year of the 6.0, which is apparently more problematic, but based on my experiences and what I've read, the middle year models were actually worse.

There is no mid year 6.0 2003 model. Early 2003 trucks still had the 7.3 powerstroke and mid year they changed to the 6.0L. You do have the really cool sounding turbo though.