Mobil 1 5W-50 (VW 505.0)

mainframe

Veteran Member
TDI
2 Door, Automatic, Flash Red, Golf 99.5
So I was at Part Source today looking for oil, and I saw Mobil 1 5W-50, and I thought intersting what does the back say and surprisingly it had a "VW 505.0" certification.

I just looked it up over at Mobil Australia http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-50.asp which confirms the rating so I'm wondering if anyone thinks this would be a good choice for a 2000 VW TDI.

Lately I've been using the Elf 5W-40 but it's hard to find, and Delvac 1 5W-40 is near imposible to get here.

Thanks ....

mainframe

Veteran Member
TDI
So dieseldorf, any thoughts both your PDF and the link I posted verify that it indeed meets the VW 505.0 Spec, is it overkill.

I drive 65km per day for work, mainly highway with some stop and go, and tend to change oil about every 14000km.

Some would say it can't hurt, but I worry about going outside the norm.

OilGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Diesel Addict said:
5W50 is an awfully large spread. I'd worry about the stability of such an oil.
I believe Mercedes selects this Mobil 1 5W-50 for their highest performance (gasoline) applications. If MB trusts it, there's one weighty testimonial.

As for our TDIs, the non-PD manual states 505.00 approved 5W-40 (0W-40 as well) as first recommendation. The extra thickness at operating temp of a 5W-50 vs a 5W-40, may not hurt much, but it may not help much either. Fuel economy may be a fraction of a percent worse with the thicker oil as well.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
mainframe said:
Some would say it can't hurt, but I worry about going outside the norm.
The VAG 505.00 spec defines an HT/HS ratio. The oil must meet it.

Why go out of your way to get this? Aren't there easier solution?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This oil is "thick". Spec sheet calls out 17.3cSt (@100C). HT/HS ratio of 4.22. This oil, whether it carries the VAG certification or otherwise, is gonna cost something in terms of fuel economy.

Here are two other M1 oils for comparison:

mainframe

Veteran Member
TDI
Good point on the thickness and fuel economy, the funny part is it's the easiest oil for me to get right now, although I am hoping to be able to get the Elf 5W-40 again, just having an issue with the place I normally buy it.

It's interesting though that this oil has never been discussed here before.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The product used to be 15W-50 until recent times. We could purchase the 15W50 in the USA, but that's no longer the case.

Can't you find PC Duron 5W40? I thought Can Tire had that product..

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OilGuy said:
I don't see any VW spec - maybe a previous 15W-50 formulation did?
Yes, all the key certifications were lost when Mobil reformulated.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
OilGuy said:
I believe Mercedes selects this Mobil 1 5W-50 for their highest performance (gasoline) applications. If MB trusts it, there's one weighty testimonial....
c'mon, OG- I'm sure Mobil and MB can't know more about oil stability than some guy on the internet. :rolleyes:

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
dieseldorf said:
This oil is "thick". Spec sheet calls out 17.3cSt (@100C). HT/HS ratio of 4.22. This oil, whether it carries the VAG certification or otherwise, is gonna cost something in terms of fuel economy.
Compare that to Red Line 5W40. Its 100C viscosity is 15.1 and HTHS is 4.6. The Mobil1 5W50 in comparison is not as shear-stable. It might be stable enough for some car manufacturers, but it's clearly not the best when it comes to the viscosity index or shear stability.

mainframe

Veteran Member
TDI
dieseldorf said:
The product used to be 15W-50 until recent times. We could purchase the 15W50 in the USA, but that's no longer the case.

Can't you find PC Duron 5W40? I thought Can Tire had that product..
It's hard to find anything 5W-40 around Toronto, I think you can still buy Delvac by the case (4 x 4L) from one large supplier, and there's a shop North West of the city selling Elf in 5L jugs, but that's about it.

Lately I've been getting Elf 5W-40 from the barrel at my local garage, for about $10 per Litre, bring your own jug.

OilGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
It's not near Aurora, ON, but if you ever head west from Toronto, the TA truck stop in Woodstock, ON has Delvac 1 5W-40.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Esso XD-3 0w40 is a full-synthetic API CI-4 rated diesel engine oil, and is a very satisfactory substitute for Delvac 5w40.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
TornadoRed said:
Esso XD-3 0w40 is a full-synthetic API CI-4 rated diesel engine oil, and is a very satisfactory substitute for Delvac 5w40.
And the XD-3 is available at Walmart for about $23/4L jug.

I have used that oil in the winter time before. But lately, I have been loosing a lot of oil. Mostly through blowby as collected in my CCV trap. Thats why I was thinking of going with the 5w50 Mobil 1 oil. The thicker viscosity should reduce my consumption, no? I am loosing about 2 liters between each oil change. Any thoughts?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
That oil is fine were 505.00 is applicable, very good in summer. Its a 5w so unless you are at -30 F its OK. A good rule of thumb I read was to deduct 20 degrees. So if it says it pours down to - 30 then use it only to - 10.