MN Chat Thread

MidwestLoon

TDI
2013 Passat
Sounds faulty. I'm used to seeing them max out in the 165-170F temp when they're bad. Should go straight to 190F and stay above that. CKRA's higher yet.

Interesting. My CKRA sits right at 190F, but I guess that's the dial and not the VCDS readout. If they do differ wildly. However, if it is super cold out (thinking -5°F or below not counting wind chill) my car temp will drop slightly at red lights. I just brushed it off this winter. I'm assuming my t-stat is probably functioning fine

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Yeah, VW coolant gauges have a dead zone and will indicate 190F from 165-220F (can't recall exactly). The bugger on the CRs is that it won't regen if the coolant temp isn't above 70C (158F) consistently, which is the case for us in MN with a bad tstat.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Well, my t stat is officially for sure stuck open. Vcds says 70c flying down the hwy at 70mph with the radiator blocked off. Looks like I will be doing that soon
Also noticed I may have a very slight leak off the top of my IP. Underneath the head it seems. Will have to keep an eye on it.

MidwestLoon

TDI
2013 Passat
My car woes I noticed today: If I'm in manual mode and under a lot of load my clutch in second gear will slip 🥲 I imagine I got a while yet though because it's pretty specific on how to slip it and even then it's not a guarantee it'll actually slip. It's a DSG if manual mode didn't tip it off for y'all

02tdivw

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Tdi

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the link! I would do a clutch job myself, but it's DSG and I've never done a clutch replacement. Seems intimidating haha
Plan a weekend this summer. Only one way to learn. Watch a couple videos on YT and give it a go! Pre plan and get all the parts you may need ahead of time. I did my very first car clutch this summer. Was difficult at certain points but now I would consider it not very difficult now that I have done the whole process. I will say however that your clutch replacement will be harder then what I had to do. Your trans is closer to 200lb from what I have learned from others. Take your time and you'll be fine. If you have a full weekend its totally doable.

DieselBunny

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT LP7W
Plan a weekend this summer. Only one way to learn. Watch a couple videos on YT and give it a go! Pre plan and get all the parts you may need ahead of time. I did my very first car clutch this summer. Was difficult at certain points but now I would consider it not very difficult now that I have done the whole process. I will say however that your clutch replacement will be harder then what I had to do. Your trans is closer to 200lb from what I have learned from others. Take your time and you'll be fine. If you have a full weekend its totally doable.
When I have to replace mine I'm leaning toward doing it myself. Especially now that my dad has a lift at his house. I can do a majority of the work in my garage but a lift would definitely make things easier.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
When I have to replace mine I'm leaning toward doing it myself. Especially now that my dad has a lift at his house. I can do a majority of the work in my garage but a lift would definitely make things easier.
lucky! My camo sweatshirt is still stained red from the cardboard I laid down due to the 1" of ice water on the driveway while R&R'ing an oil pan amongst other things:LOL: . Someday I'll have my own lift and it's going to be awesome!

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
[486] Nailed it, too much corrosion on my taillight holder. No stock left in the country. EBay to the rescue, Poland. Had to wait 3 weeks but now I have working turn signals tail lights and brake lights.

BTW, if anybody needs some regular Jetta MKIV sedan tail light holders, I have two, I will give them to Greengeeker next time I see him if no one calls for them.

Spam J

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for a set of vr6 springs for up front if anyone has any?

I got a rear set and installed now im kicking myself for not taking the fronts while I was there too. Corners better, but now everything just dives for that front outside corner...great thinking on my part.
Haven't decided if I want to make the trip back again😕.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Looking for a set of vr6 springs for up front if anyone has any?

I got a rear set and installed now im kicking myself for not taking the fronts while I was there too. Corners better, but now everything just dives for that front outside corner...great thinking on my part.
Haven't decided if I want to make the trip back again😕.
TDI auto trans Springs are nearly the identical rate, as an option

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Good to know Jim...not that I have large choices available in the u-pull yards...

Douglas
Doug, with all the traffic downstate there should boneyards on every corner. 3-5 years ago mk4's were growing like weeds in yards up here, not as much now though

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TBH. I had totally forgotten that. Its been a few years since I've read about that. Thanks!
I didn't notice it in my documents, but I remember finding a mk4 spring chart online. Gave the application, rates, and identifying markings

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
After keeping an eye on the 10 day forecast I decided to swap out the snows today. We'll see if I jumped the gun or not.

Not sure how many of you upper mid-west folks go with dedicated snows, but, of you, how many have done the swap?

If not, when do you plan on it?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
thinking I might burn through mine this year, totally sick of them being too large to fit my tire chains
got a good 1/4" of tread left, but meh

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Not today but very soon. All-season tires are good and should be able to handle a little snow when it comes in the next three weeks.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
been experimenting with circular saw tire grooving, as everything on the junk pile has been quiet-no-traction rib-pattern tread for a long while rather than the nice block pattern I prefer.

exposed the belts on one on purpose, it's been going most of the winter so far, severely overloaded it a couple times too
we'll see when it lets go, so far it's got about 4k miles on it and several months of salt

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
If you can get your hands on a meat slicer blade that would probably be the closest thing to sipeing tires.
Other then how time consuming it sounds seems like it would work ok if your good at it. Notice any increased/decreased wear?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Just picked up a few mk4 pancake pipes if anyone is in want of some. Let me know