MN Chat Thread

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Your car looks like it's eye is hanging out of it's socket but still has a kind of a silly smile.
Sorry to see it happen to you. Did you slide into someone?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Your car looks like it's eye is hanging out of it's socket but still has a kind of a silly smile.
Sorry to see it happen to you. Did you slide into someone?
Lol, ya does kind of look like that.
Pretty much. Light was green, I looked at the other lane (fast lane) which had traffic going pretty slow. Mine was wide open so i was watching to be sure nobody was thinking of pulling out in front of me for a couple seconds. Looked back and it was red. Hit the brakes and slid hitting the guy in front of me. Was driving about 35-40, and hit him doing roughly 15-20mph. Apparently I didn't pay enough attention to the light. Champlin, MN also has crappy concrete roads (non blacktop) that ive always had issues getting traction on so I've always tried to be careful driving through there. Had the roads not been slippery I would have been fine. Sadly didn't have anough time/traction to turn.
Tomorrow I'll assess the damages.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I know for sure I'll need a intercooler, power steering resivior, oil pan I think? (have a mystery oil leak at the bottom). And upper plastic charge pipe (beetle specific)
And I don't know what else at this point.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
What a bummer! Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Hope damage is as minimal as possible and you can get and running with as little cost and inconvenience as can be.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
What a bummer! Sorry you're having to deal with this.

Hope damage is as minimal as possible and you can get and running with as little cost and inconvenience as can be.
Thanks, I'm just happy that both the other guy and I are ok. It could have been a lot worse.

Honestly never thought I'd be the cause of a collision. I wish the roads weren't so slick at the time too.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad you weren't hurt. Let me look in my pile of parts to see if I have anything. I know i have a few oil pans.

edit: red beetle listed at the Rosemount upull
Ok thanks. I'll probably head there tomorrow or Sunday and see if I can pull a decently color matched fender and bumper off it.

Current parts list:
Oil pan
IC, and upper ic plastic pipe (beetle specific pipe).
Beetle headlight bucket/bracket.

I pm'd a guy for the beetle specific parts on FB, but if anyone has any of these hit me up on here or my phone if you have my number.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
In my opinion it is WELL worth having dedicated snows on these cars. They are really pretty good snow cars with good tires.

We have lived at the bottom of a long curving hill for more years than I choose to admit and, before the snows, we had plenty of times we couldn't get out of our neighborhood.

I've had mostly blizzak that have worked well with our (suburban) mostly glazed snow/ice roads but wear very quickly. Have also had some generic continental winter tires that were OK but Def not as good as the blizzak for really slick conditions. One of the places you notice it most trying to stop where previous cars have slid and glazed the snow. Just exactly what it sounds like you encountered.

This will be my first winter with hakkapeliitta. In theory, they should wear better but may not be as good on ice. We'll see.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, I have snows. But really snow tires are only as good as the traction they meet and their tread depth. They don't help on ice or glazed conditions far as I have ever seen. I had blizzaks last year and I still had trouble getting traction I Champlin when taking off at times.
One problem is people think "I have AWD, and snow tires" and so they drive like its summer. ice don't care what you have, in the right conditions you can still spin out or slide. My dad has never boughten winter tires, and he hasn't been an accident in the years ive been alive. He also drives 50mi one way to work snow or not.

Sad thing in my case was the delay in noticing it turn red and the ice conditions. Thankfully I really didn't bunp the guy hard, but still sucks

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Does anyone per chance have a set of stock sport wagon rear springs? I stupidly threw mine out when I put my new set from ECS on. The rear springs are not up to the tax of hauling any weight. They've settled way way more than they should

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've got a real rusty pair of stock mk4 wagon rears you could have, but nothing newer sadly.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I've got a real rusty pair of stock mk4 wagon rears you could have, but nothing newer sadly.
Anything probably be better than the lowering springs at this point. I found a set for an allroad that I believe will fit. Same rear end geometry just all wheel drive.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
If anyone has a timing belt cover they would sell thats the last part I need.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
If anyone has a timing belt cover they would sell thats the last part I need.
***Since spoke with him and he doesn't have the tb cover, sorry

FYI there is someone on the mpls Craigslist auto section selling belly pans. When I contacted him, he does have some other pieces so might have that.

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Anyone need a set of ALH injector cores? I have the original stock injectors from my car (automatic nozzles). I have no idea what they are worth, make me an offer.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

FYI there is someone on the mpls Craigslist auto section selling belly pans. When I contacted him, he does have some other pieces so might have that.

Ok, I emailed him yesterday and he had never responded so i guess that answers that

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Anyone need a set of ALH injector cores? I have the original stock injectors from my car (automatic nozzles). I have no idea what they are worth, make me an offer.
I dunno, I'd give you 20 bucks before they hit the trash can. Surely someone else will outbid me though.

MidwestLoon

TDI
2013 Passat

Sad there is no Passat. Not sure if they transfer well. My belly pan is being held on by hopes and dreams

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Lions 37 Vikings 24

MidwestLoon

TDI
2013 Passat
Well. Plow left a hard birm across a hwy. Because it's ice under. Unavoidable. My car caught air off it.

That is really sad :(
I hope the damage didn't go super far. But, I hope you're doing good. It's always nice to see a car doing its job keeping occupants safe. How was traction this morning? I work from home so I don't know haha. Anyway, it seems like you kept good control of your jump without hitting anything else or spinning out

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
That is really sad :(
I hope the damage didn't go super far. But, I hope you're doing good. It's always nice to see a car doing its job keeping occupants safe. How was traction this morning? I work from home so I don't know haha. Anyway, it seems like you kept good control of your jump without hitting anything else or spinning out
As much as I wanted to go and buy solder to fix my door latch this morning. I am not heading out the door right now lol. Snow is starting to look nice, but the highways here in the city's don't look trustworthy enough. Im a guy that prefers a two lane roads with a ditch to slide into vs. a concrete barrier. Have to be sooooo careful in the snow down here 1 wrong more and your toast.
The snow really does look beautiful though.
Makes me wish I was somewhere up north where I could appreciate it more. My friend in Bemidji has already gone snowmobiling several times this year.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
As much as I wanted to go and buy solder to fix my door latch this morning. I am not heading out the door right now lol. Snow is starting to look nice, but the highways here in the city's don't look trustworthy enough. Im a guy that prefers a two lane roads with a ditch to slide into vs. a concrete barrier. Have to be sooooo careful in the snow down here 1 wrong more and your toast.
The snow really does look beautiful though.
Makes me wish I was somewhere up north where I could appreciate it more. My friend in Bemidji has already gone snowmobiling several times this year.
I made it from Virginia to hermantown. Just fine. Birms we're soft. Soon as I get here, BAM. stupid plow driver leaves a 2' birm across all 4 lanes. Sounds like they'll total it, again... So buy it back, and fix it. Again. It's all plastics. Junkyard parts. Woo hoo. Probably 3k.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Here in southwest MN other than the main roads it's all ice underneath the snow- Was out plowing with a very underpowered 4WD John Deere tractor and was getting all kinds of wheel spin. Not sure why I bothered- Neighbor must be a new driver, at least he cleared ice and snow off the car but he got half in the ditch just getting out of the driveway. Made it about 50 feet up the street before going in the ditch again, this time completely in the ditch. Didn't see any tow hooks on his car which gave me a good excuse not to tow him out, he eventually shoveled it out and parked it back in the driveway and stayed home... Best place for him 'til he learns to drive on snow and ice.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Lesson of the week, used Local VW dealer for an oil change and wheel rotation. I know they go through the car to find other defects, and they have always treated me right, but they found a tail light out and wanted to replace it. I ok'd it, even though I know that the harness and sockets are 20 plus years old. Yep, new tail light, but no turn signal or brake light. I nursed it back to life today, but will tell them next time, don't touch anything. Just do the change and rotation.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Lesson of the week, used Local VW dealer for an oil change and wheel rotation. I know they go through the car to find other defects, and they have always treated me right, but they found a tail light out and wanted to replace it. I ok'd it, even though I know that the harness and sockets are 20 plus years old. Yep, new tail light, but no turn signal or brake light. I nursed it back to life today, but will tell them next time, don't touch anything. Just do the change and rotation.
Odd that you drove it in fine (maybe unoticed?), then suddenly there's a burnt bulb....
I mean stuff happens just odd it worked that way