MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Ahhhuummmm.....sureeee. As long as you don't look at anything. I didn't say heat. I taid some temp. Lol.
For heat it takes about 20 min of driving, depending how cold it is. Granted if it's cold I run a lower gear to keep the revs up
You should put some cardboard in front of the radiator grill. Don't totally block it or your intercooler, but block it enough and it helps.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Ahhhuummmm.....sureeee. As long as you don't look at anything. I didn't say heat. I taid some temp. Lol.
For heat it takes about 20 min of driving, depending how cold it is. Granted if it's cold I run a lower gear to keep the revs up
hahahah hey now!!!! giant potholes exist!

lowlife

TDI
03 jetta 13 passat
Hey fellow minnesotans, from the rochester area. Lost a timing belt on my alh after 45k miles. Would consider a whole used head if anyone knows of a complete one otherwise I'll just rebuild the current one. Went out and bought a 2013 passat and after 2k I'm finally happy with it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey fellow minnesotans, from the rochester area. Lost a timing belt on my alh after 45k miles. Would consider a whole used head if anyone knows of a complete one otherwise I'll just rebuild the current one. Went out and bought a 2013 passat and after 2k I'm finally happy with it.
There's a beetle in east bethel with one, but thats a drive for you...

lowlife

TDI
03 jetta 13 passat
Might give a call. The website doesn't give much info. I'd go whole motor too as my current alh has almost 400k miles. I have to pull the head first and see what I have to work with.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Might give a call. The website doesn't give much info. I'd go whole motor too as my current alh has almost 400k miles. I have to pull the head first and see what I have to work with.
I'll be there by this next weekend i can let you know whats there still and if its available. When i was there last the motor was removed but in the bay still complete with turbo, IP and all.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I'll be there by this next weekend i can let you know whats there still and if its available. When i was there last the motor was removed but in the bay still complete with turbo, IP and all.
My buddy still has the bug motor. Been thinking of rebuilding the head. Lol

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
My buddy still has the bug motor. Been thinking of rebuilding the head. Lol
Ya he told me he'd sell the motor as it sits. I'm letting him hold onto it till i decide i need it or majorly break engine lol.

I just messeged on a golf in the area with 230k for 800obo. I've seen it driving around but he says it won't start now. Im thinking he blew the tb, but hopefully i can get a look at it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Ya he told me he'd sell the motor as it sits. I'm letting him hold onto it till i decide i need it or majorly break engine lol.

I just messeged on a golf in the area with 230k for 800obo. I've seen it driving around but he says it won't start now. Im thinking he blew the tb, but hopefully i can get a look at it.
Hmmm. 800? Not bad. Your area or mine?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmm. 800? Not bad. Your area or mine?
Milaca mn. Ya im hoping for something good but we'll see what he says.

Gonna go look at it tonight. Has new all seasons and a 12" sub. He said it turned over a few times but then stopped even with a jump it won't turn over. Hoping that TB is still intact. If it is i may have my 3rd tdi!!

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
It was roach, and the guy was shady. He knew so much yet so little. Couldn't tell me anything about the car other then it was a diesel and worth at least 3-4k running and its worth 1400$ as it sits, but he'd sell it for 800$.
He told me 700$ on fb then i got there and he said no less then 800$. A total joke. The timing belt was pretty loose I could push it down about 3/8" off the top idler pully next to the IP, maybe more if i had pushed harder. I assume the tensioner backed off. It would try to turn over but i assume it was sitting against a valve because it wouldn't turn over at all and was making a clang noise.
He also had the head (he painted it mustard yellow??, easiest way to tell it wasnt original) replaced by a "diesel tech" friend of his that supposedly works at one of the local shops around here and he "did it right" which was totally believable seeing the condition of the TB lol. No paperwork and had an unknown oil leak that caused it to be below the dip stick on oil. He said it was leaking out of the valve cover vent, but ummm.... there's no way he lost that much oil through a air vent like that lol. A parts car machine for sure, could be drivable to the right person but needs a lot of work.

One thing that was very odd is the actuator on the turbo was inverted. Is that normal? It sat upside down (at least to the cars I've seen) next to the intake manifold. The arm was pointed downwards to the turbo instead of sitting down by the axles and trans pointing upwards to the turbo like usual.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
It was roach, and the guy was shady. He knew so much yet so little. Couldn't tell me anything about the car other then it was a diesel and worth at least 3-4k running and its worth 1400$ as it sits, but he'd sell it for 800$.
He told me 700$ on fb then i got there and he said no less then 800$. A total joke. The timing belt was pretty loose I could push it down about 3/8" off the top idler pully next to the IP, maybe more if i had pushed harder. I assume the tensioner backed off. It would try to turn over but i assume it was sitting against a valve because it wouldn't turn over at all and was making a clang noise.
He also had the head (he painted it mustard yellow??, easiest way to tell it wasnt original) replaced by a "diesel tech" friend of his that supposedly works at one of the local shops around here and he "did it right" which was totally believable seeing the condition of the TB lol. No paperwork and had an unknown oil leak that caused it to be below the dip stick on oil. He said it was leaking out of the valve cover vent, but ummm.... there's no way he lost that much oil through a air vent like that lol. A parts car machine for sure, could be drivable to the right person but needs a lot of work.

One thing that was very odd is the actuator on the turbo was inverted. Is that normal? It sat upside down (at least to the cars I've seen) next to the intake manifold. The arm was pointed downwards to the turbo instead of sitting down by the axles and trans pointing upwards to the turbo like usual.
Maybe it was tuned with aftermarket turbo. So probably a methie and drove it till it skipped time. It's worth 400 not running. Who knows the cond of internals. (Blowby)

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe it was tuned with aftermarket turbo. So probably a methie and drove it till it skipped time. It's worth 400 not running. Who knows the cond of internals. (Blowby)
Ya idk, he didn't know anything about it. He said it was stock but who knows. It doesn't look like any aftermarket turbo i know of, but maybe. Like the actual turbo looked normal from what i could see but the actuator was backwards. Car wasn't in to terrible of shape and i wouldve boughten it if it wasnt for all the hacked stuff under the hood. My main concern was that even if the timing belt was still in time, because its loose how can i be sure the guy did the head right.

lowlife

TDI
03 jetta 13 passat
When in doubt listen to your gut telling you to run. There will always be another. I came to the party late, what are you looking for? I do have a friend with 5 or 6 jetta diesels from 98 to 03 I sold him 2 so that's why I'm not hugely concerned with a head. They are all over 250k miles. He's somewhat of a hoarder though.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
When in doubt listen to your gut telling you to run. There will always be another. I came to the party late, what are you looking for? I do have a friend with 5 or 6 jetta diesels from 98 to 03 I sold him 2 so that's why I'm not hugely concerned with a head. They are all over 250k miles. He's somewhat of a hoarder though.
Wasn't specially looking for one but it wasn't a bad deal, and i was thinking another tdi sounded fun. Was more looking for something i could play with a bit get back on the road and maybe make a lil money.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Wasn't specially looking for one but it wasn't a bad deal, and i was thinking another tdi sounded fun. Was more looking for something i could play with a bit get back on the road and maybe make a lil money.
A rule of thumb I went by is if I can't make money off a car by just picking it up and reselling it, It's not an investment it's a hobby. Confusing the two will bring you to the old saying, "a fool and his money are soon departed".
Choosing to be a fool is easier on the conscious than doing it by accident

Mastertrim

TDI
2003 Jetta ALH; 2004 Golf BEW; 2011 Golf CJAA
Hey guys, just wanted to pop in here and ask if anyone knows of a machine shop that knows these TDI motors, specifically ALH. Want to get some head work done but, my guy doesn't know much about these and doesn't do porting. Thanks.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Are you referring to the little chips on the leading edge?
Because the corners still look sharp.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
oil, no way
chunks of ice from condensed and frozen CCV vapors... probably not but maybe, I'd expect more 'bendy' than 'chunky' if that makes sense

usually what does that (and especially the dings in the compressor cover's inside down past the inducer) is sandy particulate

ETA: I'd run that without a second thought
the tiny imbalance will reduce its lifespan a little bit but tossing it in the trash will reduce it a WHOLE lot more

as with any turbo, if/when it does finally fail, vise grip on the oil feed line will let you safely drive it for a lot more miles

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
oil, no way
chunks of ice from condensed and frozen CCV vapors... probably not but maybe, I'd expect more 'bendy' than 'chunky' if that makes sense

usually what does that (and especially the dings in the compressor cover's inside down past the inducer) is sandy particulate

ETA: I'd run that without a second thought
the tiny imbalance will reduce its lifespan a little bit but tossing it in the trash will reduce it a WHOLE lot more

as with any turbo, if/when it does finally fail, vise grip on the oil feed line will let you safely drive it for a lot more miles
Of. I upgraded to a gtb2260v. And steel feed line. I was debating opening it. Ice seems probable. Because my ccv heaters been disabled. But with how dirty my maf was. I think it was that cheap filter I ran that didn't have a gasket between the cone and the body. I since rtv'd it. But I went back to stock intake. I don't trust them anymore.
I will be replacing that accordion tube with aluminum though.