MN Chat Thread

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Historically a 10 year old used car was worth 10-20% of new price depending on condition and demand, and TDIs have usually had low depreciation . After 10 years values stabilize at those levels, putting an ALH at between $1700 (10% of what I paid for mine) and $4000 for a rust free Jetta wagon that needs no major repairs. Given that any ALH here in the rust belt only has 5 years or so of life left, or 20% of it's total life, any price over 20% of new price is a bad deal.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Condition and a complete maintenance record can justify a premium price, and the difference between a $1500 car and a $5500 car.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I quickly look to make sure my wife didn't list mine for sale... :LOL:

Anyone in need of some used parts? I have 3 5spd mk4 transmissions that if someone were to put some time into would turn into TWO good TDI transmissions. I also have an AHU pile of parts that I just want gone. Basically someone pulled an engine, disassembled everything and put everything in boxes. I have a crap ton of other mk4 parts I've been amassing over the years that I haven't used. Thinking of doing a garage sale of sorts.
by chance and a long shot, any aaz (1.9 IDI) pistons?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Anything over 3k. Idk. Depends on the car and the person
All used car prices are higher than a year or two ago. ALH and BEW TDIs are running over $3000, with wagons over $5000. I doubt that asking prices of $7000 or higher are being met unless the particular vehicles are really spectacular.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Looking for another Tdi, kind hard finding ALH manual that’s in decent condition these days.
Ron, honestly the way the market is right now I would be sourcing a lower mile, clean (out of state) mk4 car and swapping in the TDI bits. I did that a couple years ago and built a twin to your old wagon.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Lotta work just to get out of 2009 and later emmissions.
I'm just addressing Ron's question. You're being presumptive that the ALH preference is to avoid the 2009+ emissions equipment. It could just be the preference for the ALH/mk4 and its simplicity. (I've seen all your posts comparing the two so no need to rehash that debate here ;) )

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Im looking at buying this car. any ideas on what could be the problem? https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

he said the car had the TB done by the vw dealer as well as install the injection pump. Cylinder 4 has a misfire. They changed the injectors, but only 2 of them. He never changed cylinder 4 injector.
said that vw said the compression was within spec. He says it'll start on silicone spray, but not stay running, until its warmed up. lots of white smoke, no power, and dies on deacceleration. all work done in the ad the vw dealer did.

any ideas? it seems like it could be a decent deal. I am considering offering then sending to Nick, but i just don't wanna buy a complete dud, though i could take what i want and part it out...

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone in need of some used parts? I have 3 5spd mk4 transmissions that if someone were to put some time into would turn into TWO good TDI transmissions. I also have an AHU pile of parts that I just want gone. Basically someone pulled an engine, disassembled everything and put everything in boxes. I have a crap ton of other mk4 parts I've been amassing over the years that I haven't used. Thinking of doing a garage sale of sorts.
Have any mk4 manual axles? Mine still have that vibration problem under heavy acceleration.
Doing 120 miles a day I should probably put good ones in sooner then later.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Im looking at buying this car. any ideas on what could be the problem? https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...ghtspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

he said the car had the TB done by the vw dealer as well as install the injection pump. Cylinder 4 has a misfire. They changed the injectors, but only 2 of them. He never changed cylinder 4 injector.
said that vw said the compression was within spec. He says it'll start on silicone spray, but not stay running, until its warmed up. lots of white smoke, no power, and dies on deacceleration. all work done in the ad the vw dealer did.

any ideas? it seems like it could be a decent deal. I am considering offering then sending to Nick, but i just don't wanna buy a complete dud, though i could take what i want and part it out...
if its got compression it'll fire once it gets fuel
IP can't be broken on just one cylinder
I'd try tossing a junkyard injector in #4 if it actually is #4 that's dead
might have broken pistons if they're spraying stuff in the intake though

I'd prolly buy it and park it in my yard if I had a phone number

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
I'm just addressing Ron's question. You're being presumptive that the ALH preference is to avoid the 2009+ emissions equipment. It could just be the preference for the ALH/mk4 and its simplicity. (I've seen all your posts comparing the two so no need to rehash that debate here ;) )
Sorry if I impugned such intent. I hear so many people going to extremes to keep "pre-emmissions" diesels going that I'm starting to assume that's the only motivation. But the A4s have a lot of other great qualities- For example, other than the Sportswagon, Golf styling really went downhill after the Golf4 and IMHO didn't recover until the Golf7.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
if its got compression it'll fire once it gets fuel
IP can't be broken on just one cylinder
I'd try tossing a junkyard injector in #4 if it actually is #4 that's dead
might have broken pistons if they're spraying stuff in the intake though

I'd prolly buy it and park it in my yard if I had a phone number
he said vw told him all 4 cylinders had good comp. I was more concerned if a valve or tappet wasn't functioning. or maybe a bad cam lobe but that's not common i don't think.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Sorry if I impugned such intent. I hear so many people going to extremes to keep "pre-emmissions" diesels going that I'm starting to assume that's the only motivation. But the A4s have a lot of other great qualities- For example, other than the Sportswagon, Golf styling really went downhill after the Golf4 and IMHO didn't recover until the Golf7.
No apology necessary. I agree on the golf styling! Love the looks of our egolf. :)

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Have any mk4 manual axles? Mine still have that vibration problem under heavy acceleration.
Doing 120 miles a day I should probably put good ones in sooner then later.
I do! Need to be rebuilt.

Jetta could be a good deal but could be a basket case. I wouldn't believe the story about the dealer installed parts.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I do! Need to be rebuilt.

Jetta could be a good deal but could be a basket case. I wouldn't believe the story about the dealer installed parts.
ya me neither unless he has paper which I haven't asked. Thinking I may go look at it today and see if its anything obvious. Everything sounds like bad timing except for the fact that it only has a "miss on cylinder 4". This is probably the first time I wish I had vcds, and knew how to use it. lol

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
ya me neither unless he has paper which I haven't asked. Thinking I may go look at it today and see if its anything obvious. Everything sounds like bad timing except for the fact that it only has a "miss on cylinder 4". This is probably the first time I wish I had vcds, and knew how to use it. lol
Get obdeleven. Works just as well for checking codes, timing, etc.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
$650 ALH just listed on Princeton marketplace
Just saw that one on there. Idk if i want one with 450k though. Maybe for a parts car if i got it for less then that. I'd want to know when the tb was done, which was probably a long time ago if it has 450k.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Get obdeleven. Works just as well for checking codes, timing, etc.
ok, i do have a obd 3 scanner but idk if it can tell timing.
update he says no papers for the work he had recently done at vw...im guessing he did the belt and the timing is retarded resulting in the very hard start, no power, and white smoke. could be wrong but may still check it out.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
$650 ALH just listed on Princeton marketplace
one of these days I'll get one of them facebook accounts
not today though, they're still pioneers of censorship, just like reddit
cylinder head alone is worth that, never mind the 11mm pump and the catalyst and 200 bucks worth of scrap

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I've never gotten a misfire code from the ecu.
pretty easy to crack injector lines once you get it running
actually got a whole pile of auto injectors laying around, really should do something with them like see what it'd cost to get them extrude honed or something, was thinking about drilling them out years ago, but that dream has kinda died with how well $8 chinese nozzles have treated me so far

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
one of these days I'll get one of them facebook accounts
not today though, they're still pioneers of censorship, just like reddit
cylinder head alone is worth that, never mind the 11mm pump and the catalyst and 200 bucks worth of scrap
dude i forgot about the 11mm! I want one of those for next TB. Maybe Ill just get it for next years night of destruction in Cambridge and the mora redneck races then scrap it and keep all the tdi goodies. I'd do 400 on it
beetles aren't worth much but weigh almost two tons. so a good amount of scrap. and the cat would get me 80$

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I've never gotten a misfire code from the ecu.
pretty easy to crack injector lines once you get it running
actually got a whole pile of auto injectors laying around, really should do something with them like see what it'd cost to get them extrude honed or something, was thinking about drilling them out years ago, but that dream has kinda died with how well $8 chinese nozzles have treated me so far
i heard about that method. so if what happens then its that cylinder?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
dude i forgot about the 11mm! I want one of those for next TB. Maybe Ill just get it for next years night of destruction in Cambridge and the mora redneck races then scrap it and keep all the tdi goodies. I'd do 400 on it
beetles aren't worth much but weigh almost two tons. so a good amount of scrap. and the cat would get me 80$
Did you go this past year? I ran in 5 events. Placed in two of them with a vr6 Jetta :cool: