MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I use ID parts for a lot of my tdi specific stuff as far as I have seen its quality. Just don't get any of the important parts from chain parts stores or whatever you call them (O'Reillys, 1A auto, auto zone, auto value, auto anything, ect. lol). These stores are great for simple things, but when it comes to wear and tear item's dont skimp. I went through multiple axles and starters before I learned enough is enough. It isnt worth a breakdown in the middle of nowwhere.

Also welcome to the club man! There's so much to learn here, so enjoy🙂

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Yeah, people slam Hans.
For example the 1.6 IDI pistons have worked great for people but the rings are junk and need replaced.
He has some parts like gaskets and stuff that are good quality,cheap and can't cause any real problems.
I got a steering knuckle boot for a MK2 manual rack.
It was very thin,.. but it works.

I've only had one bad experience in the classifieds on here.
Got my money back from paypal in the end.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya the classifieds on here are great. I got a few of my mods for my car from slightly used parts on here, and saved quite a bit of money in doing so. It's just a waiting game for something to pop up, or reach out and ask. A lot of good folks on here willing to give you a good/fair deal as another enthusiast. Just be careful and make sure things are legit. Paypal also has the goods and services feature which is nice.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yeah I've been looking for a turbo upgrade... Oh btw, has anyone else though of building a deer guard do their car?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, but bugs are a bit harder to do that for tho. Nick was giving me some ideas on that. There's a guy in st. Cloud that built a full tubular bumper for his beetle that was awesome! He used to be on the forums but idk if he is anymore. Never actually met him just met a friend of his who was wanting to ask about my lift kit when I was at a local restuarant.

Theres another member in the U.S. on here who makes bull bars for golf's and Jettas. Name is millenium falcon I believe. Tho they sit pretty low for deer smashing capabilities.
I think a deer bumper would have to be pretty tall on your bumper to be sure it doesn't just roll onto the hood and dent it.
I think Ford intended their 80's F series trucks to be deer bumper cars. They have a nice meaty grill to them😁. I know a guy who's into double digits with his ol 7.3, he might as well start placing # of hit decals on his front fender as a warning sign.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Ya, I have a video I keep around that shows what happens when a deer hits a beetle just right at 45+mph. It definitely flies lol. I've seen a few jetta's with dented hoods.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks for the welcome guys. Yeah I have learned my lesson with house parts for my golfs over the years. Some stuff is alright but I will never buy anything cardone reman again. Learned that one the hard way.
Yeah. My dad thought he was smart saving 30bucks on a timing belt kit for his jsw. Well the tensioner was bad. Tried to steer him away. I couldn't resist the. "so how's that $30 in your pocket treating you?"

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH

Not to make a competition out of it [486], but here is the craziest thing I have attempted carrying up top😄. IIRC they were 16ft panels.
heh, angry beetle
bet those sheets were flapping in the wind something horrible

here's one of my better ones:
15x 94lb bags of portland cement
10 sheets of 2" polyiso on the roof
the pallet keeps the top sheet from getting cut by the straps, should have grabbed a longer one as the sheets weren't very rigid.
only had 120 miles to go, lol

I've also had 10x sheets of 3/4" CDX on the roof, and a 40' (36'?) extension ladder sticking 10' out past the rear bumper, front end wedged under the heater box. That heater box has taken some serious abuse from hauling long stuff.
Protip, pull the hatch struts and it doesn't fly up on the freeway.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
heh, angry beetle
bet those sheets were flapping in the wind something horrible

here's one of my better ones:
15x 94lb bags of portland cement
10 sheets of 2" polyiso on the roof
the pallet keeps the top sheet from getting cut by the straps, should have grabbed a longer one as the sheets weren't very rigid.
only had 120 miles to go, lol

I've also had 10x sheets of 3/4" CDX on the roof, and a 40' (36'?) extension ladder sticking 10' out past the rear bumper, front end wedged under the heater box. That heater box has taken some serious abuse from hauling long stuff.
Protip, pull the hatch struts and it doesn't fly up on the freeway.
Holy crap, man! That's crazy.

I say I attempted because I had an hour and a half drive home on a freeway doing 65-70 so I left them there and my boss brought them home the next week. I got them up there because I was going to do it. I was thinking about it after lunch break that day and I didn't want any trouble, I just wanted to get home. It was kinda floppy too because i couldn't make enough of a support and i was afraid it might tear my rack clean off, and i didn't dare have it hit someone else car. If i could've had a better support in the front i would have tried it. I have canoe straps under the hood for such things.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Hahaha. Can't stop laughing. Holy hell.
We were in the South Western UP for the last week and had deer just mosy across the roads with no care on several occasions

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
We were in the South Western UP for the last week and had deer just mosy across the roads with no care on several occasions
Weird, lately have had a few cross the road in front of me at a slow pace. Last night i was riding in my buddy's truck and we had one just stand in the opposite lane as we flew by at 65...didn't even realize it was there so we didn't get a chance to slow down.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Btw. If anyone just wants that mk4 clutch let me know. Its just gotta go. Im sick of it laying around and its gonna start rusting.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Is anyone interested in parts to convert a 05 Passat from automatic transmission to a manual? I think I have everything but the transmission and clutch. If you don't care about the gearing, you can pull a transmission from a gasser. Otherwise you have to get one from overseas.
I gave my Passat TDI to my daughter so I have no use for the parts anymore.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Never underestimate the amount of damage a deer can do if you hook up solidly to it. My Dodge clobbered one at speed, and it wrecked a lot of stuff, *AND I had a solid grill guard on. Was merging, winding up 5th, checked over shoulder one last time, grabbed 6th and got eyes back on the road just in time to see the deer disappear in front of me. No heat exchanger damage, so I continued on to work, but there was blood and its breakfast splashed all over the place.
cheers,
Douglas

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
In case anyone is looking for ALH parts there is a red 2002 jetta tdi at east bethel upullrparts. The 11mm pump is gone and so are the injectors🙁, but theres still parts left. I believe the turbo was also missing.

An uncommon sight is there's also a Peugeot there too. Kind of an interesting find as I've never seen one in the U.S.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I should go grab the head and pistons/rods
but I'm not going to
they have a habit of looking at what I bring to the counter and quoting prices well over retail on brand new parts

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I should go grab the head and pistons/rods
but I'm not going to
they have a habit of looking at what I bring to the counter and quoting prices well over retail on brand new parts
Huh, we should go together sometime then. I have always come out with stuff cheaper then anywhere else. Then again ive never boughten a head. Could buy the whole engine for 185$. If it had the pump and injectors I would have half a mind to do so as a parts engine.

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
@[486] and GlowBugTDI you guys should hit me up in a couple weeks. Once I make sure a different motor is gonna work for my project I will have all the parts you speak of and then some.. I will give you a deal as well. I would rather they get saved than thrown away.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
@[486] and GlowBugTDI you guys should hit me up in a couple weeks. Once I make sure a different motor is gonna work for my project I will have all the parts you speak of and then some.. I will give you a deal as well. I would rather they get saved than thrown away.
putting something else in the toyota?

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
putting something else in the toyota?
Unfortunately, yes.. It does very well here in MN, But, we took it out west Black Hill SD for 2 weeks, put 2k on it. It didn't do so well uphill with a head wind. Don't get me wrong, plenty of power, enough power I could have melted the pistons to the cylinder walls I'm sure. I couldn't keep the EGT's down on the hills on 90 degree days and I don't have the ac hooked up yet..

The parts I have are another alh I started taking apart to rob the timing components and necessary parts for a BHW bottom. And I have a second ALH head. BHW motor that I started taking apart for the swap as well. New balance shaft delete kit and other parts for the swap.

Don't get me wrong, I am really torn between doing the 2.0 conversion with a stage 2 cam on the ALH or changing it up...

My winter daily is a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8L diesel. And I have a parts one.. So I am seeing if I can make it run stand alone. So the next couple weeks as I play with that will tell a big story..

If I do swap it out I will sell the motor that is in the Toyota now as well...