MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Ya just A.S.S.U.M.E. everyone knows
I have no idea what it is. I searched it online for MN and couldn't find anything.

on another note I installed TT bushings, and did an oil change today. The ride is quite a bit stiffer and I'm already loving it!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
South Central Imports, 37th Street east of Hiawatha. Chad Erickson, proprietor. Good guy and a good VW mechanic.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Thanks for posting the info. I couldn't remember the whole name of the place.
Chad is a really nice guy and skilled mechanic/fabricator.
Last time I was there he had a dodge van, with a chevy engine.
But it wasn't really an engine. It was a styrafoam impersonator of a small block chevy.
So he could mock up the mounts.
I didn't know there was such a thing.
He also rebuilt an 020 trany for me at a fair price.
The swap meet is about a half day long runs up and down the ally by his shop.
Anyone know when it starts?
I think they post this info on their facebook page but I don't do facebook.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Fleet Farm has a sale on Rotella T6 5w40 2.5-gallon jugs. Normally $54.99, on sale $42.99, then a $20 mail-in rebate. The final cost $22.99, so $2.30/quart.

The sale runs through April 17th. The rebate offer ends June 30, 2021.

I run Delvac 1 5w40, but lots of folks like Rotella.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
if they're out of the 2.5s make sure and ask about the 5 gallon buckets, the blaine store has a whole pallet in the back but they do not stock them on the shelves

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Cambridge got another shipment recently if you wanna take the drive...
I got 10 gal last week.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for posting the info. I couldn't remember the whole name of the place.
Chad is a really nice guy and skilled mechanic/fabricator.
Last time I was there he had a dodge van, with a chevy engine.
But it wasn't really an engine. It was a styrafoam impersonator of a small block chevy.
So he could mock up the mounts.
I didn't know there was such a thing.
He also rebuilt an 020 trany for me at a fair price.
The swap meet is about a half day long runs up and down the ally by his shop.
Anyone know when it starts?
I think they post this info on their facebook page but I don't do facebook.
I don't FB either except for marketplace, but im really starting to hate them for that too. I'll do some looking online. Thanks

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Fleet Farm has a sale on Rotella T6 5w40 2.5-gallon jugs. Normally $54.99, on sale $42.99, then a $20 mail-in rebate. The final cost $22.99, so $2.30/quart.

The sale runs through April 17th. The rebate offer ends June 30, 2021.

I run Delvac 1 5w40, but lots of folks like Rotella.
Thanks, I use Rotella in my duramax!

ITSPREZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Hey everyone. Just seeing if anyone local has an 11mm Injection Pump for sale that is known good and stored properly. I would take an 10mm if the price is right but I'd like to keep the auto with the right sized pump, for the ALH.
I’m in zip code 47006 and I have a 10mm taken off my 2001 ALH at 220k when I upgraded to the 11mm. Had no issues just wanted the 11mm, asking $750 for it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Curious if anyone here in MN has a good set of suspension's for an mk4 (beetle)? I had been looking for a cheaper used set of bilstein struts, but if i can find a different quality set for a good price I'm sure it'll be better then stock. Let me know if you have anything you think i might be interested in, and maybe we can work something out.
Thank you.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Any OG's still around here?

I'm thinking about selling the old Beetle...it has been in the garage for 3 years, taking up space and not getting driven much. We've got two X5 diesels and we don't really need a spare car anymore since my wife will probably never go back to her office full time (Target corp)...and I work remote at least 30% of the time. I'll post pics and details...just curious if anyone local would be interested. My wife and I are trying round up all of the funds we can to adopt a child.

Car was an automatic originally, did a 5 speed swap with South Bend Stage 3 clutch back in 2011. RC3, PP520s, short shifter, 2" lift kit, side pipe. IP and timing belt have low miles, though were probably done 5-6 years ago now. New thermostat, fans and fan controllers, front bushings, tie rods and ball joints. It does need a new rear ABS sensor and rear axle beam bushings. All work on it has either been done by myself or Nick (greengeeker)...so no corners have been cut.

There is some minor rust on the driver's side rocker and one spot on the hood. I'm going to get her cleaned up sometime this spring and will make a formal sale post. Let me know if you have any interest!

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen

I'm thinking about selling the old Beetle...it has been in the garage for 3 years, taking up space and not getting driven much. We've got two X5 diesels and we don't really need a spare car anymore since my wife will probably never go back to her office full time (Target corp)...and I work remote at least 30% of the time. I'll post pics and details...just curious if anyone local would be interested. My wife and I are trying round up all of the funds we can to adopt a child.

Car was an automatic originally, did a 5 speed swap with South Bend Stage 3 clutch back in 2011. RC3, PP520s, short shifter, 2" lift kit, side pipe. IP and timing belt have low miles, though were probably done 5-6 years ago now. New thermostat, fans and fan controllers, front bushings, tie rods and ball joints. It does need a new rear ABS sensor and rear axle beam bushings. All work on it has either been done by myself or Nick (greengeeker)...so no corners have been cut.

There is some minor rust on the driver's side rocker and one spot on the hood. I'm going to get her cleaned up sometime this spring and will make a formal sale post. Let me know if you have any interest!

who are you calling old?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
who are you calling old?
hey, your wagon just turned over 294k
iirc I bought it from you at 260ish?
Getting more life out of it.
Still haven't managed to lock the one key I have inside it yet, haha.

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think I qualify to be in the cool group lol. Honestly still don't even know what OG/OP stands for. Been here since 2015...
When I started here at age 15 i was probably one of the youngest people on here.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

Good for you guys Jeff! Been wondering if you were still running around.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Good for you guys Jeff! Been wondering if you were still running around.
Yep, still here. I don't get on the forums here nearly enough...life is crazy and I'm more focused on the X5's and have caught the car detailing bug. We'll see if I actually go through with selling the Beetle. I still like driving it occasionally, it is a fun car for errands around town. But the extra space and money would be helpful. Adoption isn't cheap and raising kids isn't either.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Also been here a while, also wondering what OG is haha

Happy to have made it to at least one tdifest and say hi to Fred haha

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well. My car was spotless. Then one driver not paying attention. Now I have body work. Already got a new hood and rear bumper assembly. Still have to pickup a few parts. But now the car is paid off. Ugh.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
If it makes you feel better, A while back just outside a TDI GTG I got backed into on a country road.
Not sure if Lippy is around anymore, it was at his dad's place.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought I would share this incase anyone is interested. 05 Jetta with a auto :-(
might go for cheap K-Bid auction
Wish it was a manual lol. I'll keep an eye on it, thanks

The heck do you even get the top of the fender to start rusting like that? I can only guess they scratched it badly with something.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
changed my oil at 30k
lifters had been clattering pretty good and it drained like water
it'd been gaining oil for the last 10k or so, was about an inch over the "max" kink in the stick
kind of odd is that it wasn't losing coolant, didn't think an ALH could manage to get fuel in the oil, doesn't have a dead miss on startup like one injector is dribbling into the cylinder
my average trip length is 80 miles, so I doubt it's condensation buildup

oh well, guess we'll see if it continues gaining oil