MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Pretty sweet deal as East Central Energy gave me $1000 to install the level 2 charger and then when done cut the price of electricity in half (during non-peak hours).
Nice. I've got service from them up in pine county, the $35 "service fee" is the bulk of my electric bill, I use maybe $5-10 of electric in a month, rofl
Been thinking about asking them about adding a couple solar panels to cancel out the service fee. Haven't got around to it yet.

Figured out that the golf/jetta on waste oil is about that same 2 cents a mile, figuring on the timing belts and engine oil consumed. Just sucks because it smokes white no matter what I do. Kinda thought about glomming an IDI head and set of pistons in, they don't smoke white on the waste oil as bad.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Figured out that the golf/jetta on waste oil is about that same 2 cents a mile, figuring on the timing belts and engine oil consumed. Just sucks because it smokes white no matter what I do. Kinda thought about glomming an IDI head and set of pistons in, they don't smoke white on the waste oil as bad.
Huh? (scratches head). what are you trying to do/doing? your running the car on waste oil, plain oil?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Huh? (scratches head). what are you trying to do/doing? your running the car on waste oil, plain oil?
I run used ATF thinned with gasoline. It smokes white pretty bad though, and needs starting fluid on every cold start, so overall would not recommend it.

I justify it in that my car sees 70 mi of freeway nearly every time I start it, and nearly no city driving, so it ain't advertising for emissions laws too badly.
Also thought about tossing propane into the intake to clear the smoke up. Haven't tried it yet.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I run used ATF thinned with gasoline. It smokes white pretty bad though, and needs starting fluid on every cold start, so overall would not recommend it.

I justify it in that my car sees 70 mi of freeway nearly every time I start it, and nearly no city driving, so it ain't advertising for emissions laws too badly.
Also thought about tossing propane into the intake to clear the smoke up. Haven't tried it yet.
haha, ok i see. I'm assuming that's in a gasser? Have you tried dot 3 brake fluid before?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm pretty much stuck on ALH motors, got one BEW but with a cracked head and a trashed transmission we don't really talk about that one lol
I wouldn't even try brake fluid, what with how hygroscopic that stuff is. Also my only experience with it burning is that it makes an absolutely astounding amount of white smoke.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty much stuck on ALH motors, got one BEW but with a cracked head and a trashed transmission we don't really talk about that one lol
I wouldn't even try brake fluid, what with how hygroscopic that stuff is. Also my only experience with it burning is that it makes an absolutely astounding amount of white smoke.
ok interesting, never heard of running gas mix in a tdi. It's possible for a gas car to run on the stuff but idk about long term. You can keep about the same fuel mileage (supposedly) but it smells terrible. I agree on the ALH motors though I've never worked on any of the other tdi's. My brothers grand prix blew a torque converter few weeks back, and he doesn't really trust our 91 s10 after we have had two breakdowns this winter (we just did head gaskets, and now im doing a clutch slave cylinder today). I'm trying to convince him to get a newer tdi as he's doing a lot of driving, but he likes big engine power.

On another note yesterday I went to go and start the car up and all i got was slow rotations. Plugged er in for two hours and "pop clunk clunk" yep happy engine. Guess I'll be looking at a larger battery when I'm ready for my next one. GreenGeeker told me last summer I'd be needing to get an even larger one, and should relocate my PS reservoir (Thanks man). Now I have a project for this summer or next, so yay.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Guess I'll be looking at a larger battery when I'm ready for my next one. GreenGeeker told me last summer I'd be needing to get an even larger one, and should relocate my PS reservoir (Thanks man). Now I have a project for this summer or next, so yay.
The NB is pretty harsh on an upsized battery
you can get one in there but you're going to lose some skin off your fingers getting it in there lol
g/j you can just plop anything in there, I was running a group 49 out of a sprinter van for a while, iirc it's an H8? didn't even fit in the tray, just held in by gravity, the fender, headlight, airbox and the upper radiator hose, lol

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ya mine is tight. I have to squeeze it in there just right or move the PS reservoir for a minute till its in.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

$2000 obo. 2003 golf, white. rust free, 180,000 miles (ad claims). blown turbo. Could turn out to be something good if people are looking....

Schuttsr1

TDI
2001 Golf, 2003 Wagon, 2003 Jetta
Hey everyone. Just seeing if anyone local has an 11mm Injection Pump for sale that is known good and stored properly. I would take an 10mm if the price is right but I'd like to keep the auto with the right sized pump, for the ALH.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey everyone. Just seeing if anyone local has an 11mm Injection Pump for sale that is known good and stored properly. I would take an 10mm if the price is right but I'd like to keep the auto with the right sized pump.
You could have yours rebuilt, and then it would be good as knew....

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
hmm, I don't remember it being that expensive. let me look at my emails and see.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
they are very easy to rebuild yourself, if you can remove one from the engine and retime it you're already doing all the difficult stuff
what's wrong with it?

if it's just leaking, a 20 dollar seal kit solves that real easy

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
they are very easy to rebuild yourself, if you can remove one from the engine and retime it you're already doing all the difficult stuff
what's wrong with it?

You have a point there....hadn't thought of that. I've done some of the seals, but not all of them in one of these pumps.

Schuttsr1

TDI
what's wrong with it?

Injection pump wont make enough pressure to pop the injectors when being turned with the starter.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
That is a very uncommon failure mode, I've run into it once but that was from my hamfisted boobery, tightening the pumping chamber plug with a hammer and chisel (the three-flatted 15/16" plug in the pump head) was making it leak fuel from the pumping chamber to 'case pressure'

You're 100% sure that you've gotten all of the air out of the injector lines, right? Loosen them at the injectors with a 17mm, just a couple turns and have someone crank it over with the throttle to the floor while you watch for solid fuel, the spurts should also be jumping around between injectors in the firing order rather than just leaking out of one line nut.

Schuttsr1

TDI
I didn't try the method you used, but I am fairly certain that is the issue. I bent a line and made a fixture to hold a spare injector over a clear glass container, something I modified from testing 12 valve injector spray patterns. After verifying fuel at the head of the injector I could observe if the injector was firing. Two injectors later and two different test ports lead me to the conclude it could not fire the injectors. I could whip up a gauge block to see what pressure it is producing by the pump.
I verified timing mechanically as well as on VAGCOM. The car will run and drive if it's assisted to life but just wont start on it's own.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Cool, sounds like you've got a good handle on it.
Tried bumping the IP topcover over toward the flywheel end of the engine?
These guys do have very stingy start maps, and the pump doesn't really have any idea where the control collar is relative to the camplate, so you do sometimes need to adjust its position to set where the transition from where zero injected fuel is.
Regarding the reseal or rebuild, this is the one adjustment that needs to be done other than timing, and the vagcom is the only measuring tool you need to do it. The embarassing 'forum terminology' for it is "hammer mod" if you wanna google that.

If you do end up replacing the pump head, there's one final measurement to be aware of, and that is the "kf" clearance, which is the clearance between the plunger and that three flatted endcap, just make sure it's got at least a few thousandths of clearance in there.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Wondering about Chads get together swap meet at SCI.
Going on this year?
It's usually around the first of may