MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
And now he’s offered it to me for $900, after I made it clear that I was not interested. So an eager seller.
odd, very eager or he's not telling you something...
I've never heard of or seen someone jumping down the price ladder like that. Maybe moving and can't take with? seems a bit odd, but if it turns out doesn't seem half bad. Wonder how many miles, I'm going to send it to a friend.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
been sorta halfway looking for a golf frontcut to marry to a ranger pickup box

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Suppose I should just throw it out there that I'd be interested in the leftovers of any a4 g/j partout, long as the exterior shell is pretty complete in the front
could even end up with a 1.6D in it if a 1.8, 2.8 or 2.0 falls into my lap

It'll be ugly when it's done

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'll take pictures when it happens.
knowing myself, it'll be more the sort of thing that you quickly pass on the freeway because you aren't sure if it is about to come apart

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
i will
I'll take pictures when it happens.
knowing myself, it'll be more the sort of thing that you quickly pass on the freeway because you aren't sure if it is about to come apart
ill definitely look forward to those lol. I like seeing those vehicles, the creativity is always neat too see lol

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Despite telling him twice that I was no longer interested, he's sent me more photos and some videos. The engine sounds okay and the exterior has less rust than most Mk4s in Minnesota. Earlier he'd sent me a screenshot of VCDS showing a number of faults, but nothing seemed too serious. It runs, it drives, and now it's cheap.

Edit: He had quite a few other cars in his shop, including a Mk7 Jetta (?) and a Mk6 Jetta Sportwagen.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
odd, very eager or he's not telling you something...
I've never heard of or seen someone jumping down the price ladder like that. Maybe moving and can't take with? seems a bit odd, but if it turns out doesn't seem half bad. Wonder how many miles, I'm going to send it to a friend.
He says, " It’s got 156k miles. Originally got it at 144k miles. I have the carfax info of its updates"

Edit: The video he sent showed the odometer at 148,593, so about 6000 less than what he says it has now. Also, it has the EGR deleted, but no CEL so it's got a tune of some unknown variety -- OR else he'd just cleared the CEL and it hadn't come back yet. . He says it needs a serpentine tensioner and it definitely sounds like it needs one.

So, whoever buys it will probably want to install a complete timing belt kit, possibly an N75, possibly reseal the injection pump, and possibly replace the coolant temp sensor (along with a new and possibly hotter thermostat).

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
hmm, seems odd that he's trying so hard. unless he needs the cash. i told my friend, but he wants to wait till next year. maybe ill try again seeing as how it only has 156k it'd be worth at least checking out.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
he wants a tdi but he specifically wants a cheaper, low mile one, so this could be his shot.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hmm, seems odd that he's trying so hard. unless he needs the cash. I told my friend, but he wants to wait till next year. maybe ill try again seeing as how it only has 156k it'd be worth at least checking out.
I don't even know why I asked him about it in the first place. I have all the TDIs I need. I guess I was just curious -- it looked good in the photos and it was local to the Twin Cities. The last time I communicated with the guy I told him that I hope it goes to a good home.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
ya, it can just be fun seeing what's out there. i almost contacted a guy on a $500 obo beetle few weeks back, but i didn't. still wonder if i should have as a flip but i feel like the buy/sell car market isn't all that strong right now. I don't think a lot of people are buying and selling. I'm now down to one tdi, and am not able to use two so i just have to get him to get one so i can try out the golf/jetta style. Another friend almost went and bought a good deal on a o'l diesel rabbit truck in the area for $1200. hardly any rust on the thing. I wanted to look at it for a toy to have for next summer, but still needed to downsize my other tdi, and the truck disappeared pretty quick.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
That is almost worth an adventure to run out and get...:) Just the picnic meal preparation to avoid stopping would be an exercise.
cheers,
Douglas

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Anyone with a dieselgate "fixed" and tuned car have warranty experience with any of the local dealers? Did you flash back to stock first? Did they comment and/or deny warranty based on flash count or flash?

I eventually want a dpf, turbo, and mpg friendly flash but not at the expense of losing the warranty. It would be nice to know that there is a local dealer that will work with us on this.

All related experiences would be of interest.

cjman

TDI
2002 Jetta
Anyone have any experience dealing with VW of Duluth? Good or bad. I am starting to look around for a TDI Touareg 2009-2011 and I see they have a few of them currently. Anyone in particular you would recommend talking to there?

Thanks

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone have any experience dealing with VW of Duluth? Good or bad. I am starting to look around for a TDI Touareg 2009-2011 and I see they have a few of them currently. Anyone in particular you would recommend talking to there?
The reviews are not good. And Hutchinson is a long way from Hermantown if you run into problems.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
can't figure out their search box
I'd be interested at $500-1000, lol
it'd need a lot of sawzall work the first time anything "engine" went wrong, though timing gears speak to me in a good way

ETA: the one at $6500?

Last edited:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know if this is someone on the forums that owns this car, but I saw a blue golf type R in Cambridge yesterday. I don't know how common they are but it has to be the first maybe second one I've ever seen. Definitely a nice looking car!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
can't figure out their search box
I'd be interested at $500-1000, lol
it'd need a lot of sawzall work the first time anything "engine" went wrong, though timing gears speak to me in a good way

ETA: the one at $6500?
Yeah, FB search is garbage. I've found I have to put anything I really want to search for in quotes. Yeah, that was the price. Sold already.

I don't know if this is someone on the forums that owns this car, but I saw a blue golf type R in Cambridge yesterday. I don't know how common they are but it has to be the first maybe second one I've ever seen. Definitely a nice looking car!
Look for us in the blue E-golf. :cool:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Nice! had one of those come in a couple years back for a tire repair.
Wasn't enthused by the "half tank" on the gauge and 50mi on the DTE indicator. It was like 0F at the time so the heater mighta been on, and probably two years ago, so maybe taking some hit in battery tech.
Assuming the new model will do the fridley commute?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
We use the Jetta to run down to the cities. The Egolf is for running around Cambridge and Isanti which is 95% of our driving now. Winter range is <<100mi but works just fine for our usage.

Pretty sweet deal as East Central Energy gave me $1000 to install the level 2 charger and then when done cut the price of electricity in half (during non-peak hours). With this factored in here is how the $/mile energy cost compares:

25mpg gasser Golf: $.08/mi
50mpg TDI Jetta: $.04/mi
E-Golf: $.02/mi
🤘

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
We use the Jetta to run down to the cities. The Egolf is for running around Cambridge and Isanti which is 95% of our driving now. Winter range is <<100mi but works just fine for our usage.

Pretty sweet deal as East Central Energy gave me $1000 to install the level 2 charger and then when done cut the price of electricity in half (during non-peak hours). With this factored in here is how the $/mile energy cost compares:

25mpg gasser Golf: $.08/mi
50mpg TDI Jetta: $.04/mi
E-Golf: $.02/mi
🤘

I'll keep an eye out for your golf! I'm always looing at VW's I see rolling around. That's a pretty neat system you got going there, I've never seen a E-Golf though I've heard of them.