MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
all you need is a 13mm short socket and ratchet, and a channellocks to adjust the timing
pull the timing cover, make note of where the three pump flange bolts are in their slots, loosen them (the pump shaft might jump forward or back at this point) then just set it a little bit clockwise of where it was and hold while tightening the 3 13's back up again

they might be 12mm heads if they've been replaced
if it is too far advanced it'll just set a totally ignorable trouble code, it'll set codes about 5 degrees before you even reach where it'll start nicest

if you manage to adjust it way too far you'll just have hard starting and bad fuel economy. You just about can't hurt these motors with the stock fuel injectors' output
i just don't know a whole lot when it comes to timing. and idk it it's retarded, or the injectors are failing...
the reason i haven't done injectors is i felt like if im gonna put money into injectors i might as well upgrade (like the euro ones), but ive read you might as well do a tune before that. but i can't spend the money for a malone stage2 tune, clutch and having injectors popped, so now i just wait and think about having a stage 2 car lol... until i bite the bullet and send them in for stock tips.

Last edited:

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
After 14 years and 215K, I needed rear brakes. But After 14 salty winters, I wasn't able to get the bracket off to replaced the rotors. Since they original pads lasted so long, I hope the new pads make it 100K with the small ring I had in one.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
still selling the wagon, or going all in on it?
Well I am thinking of selling all the 5 speed swap stuff separate now. Nice 5 speed with Wavetrac, 5 speed axles, South Bend Stage 2 clutch 23 lb steel flywheel, all sorts of cables and pedals etc. Maybe I should have a garage sale and sell all the parts.

Right now I am thinking of driving it until the transmission fails then sell it as is.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
After 14 years and 215K, I needed rear brakes. But After 14 salty winters, I wasn't able to get the bracket off to replaced the rotors. Since they original pads lasted so long, I hope the new pads make it 100K with the small ring I had in one.
What bracket? With the pads and their carrier removed the rotor comes right out.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
What bracket? With the pads and their carrier removed the rotor comes right out.
on mk4 you can get the rear rotors out without removing the caliper bracket, mk6 may not be the same story
I know that the A-4 chassis is pretty unique in this and every lifelong mechanic is astounded when I show them that.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Oxy/Acetylene wrench for the win :)
good to know! when my front strut (original) was stuck in the steering knuckle i just held a 3" by 2' round stock bar on top of the knuckle while my dad slammed it with a 35lb sledge hammer. gotta love the MN salt lol. didn't work (strut was to bouncey) so i re attached it to the top strut mount and jumped on it a few times, that did it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
i think im going to por-13 and epoxy the underside of my car this summer. all the spots that rust normally.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
i think im going to por-13 and epoxy the underside of my car this summer. all the spots that rust normally.
pour 15? pour 15 is great and really hard, but it's a little watery so don't do it on cement if you can. you can also go over light rust and it'll cover/stop it.

im buying a sand blaster to do the same thing to my calipers rotors, a-arms ect. idk if ill used pour-15 or truck bed liner tho.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
yeah por 15. info in my head gets jumbled sometimes. id just do the wire brush way. my underbody is very clean. And i want to keep it that way. i plan on driving this car till its done. mamy years. hoping i can get 15+ years from it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah por 15. info in my head gets jumbled sometimes. id just do the wire brush way. my underbody is very clean. And i want to keep it that way. i plan on driving this car till its done. mamy years. hoping i can get 15+ years from it.
hehe, happens to me all the time, and im only 19. I was pretty sure, but i wanted to make sure i was thinking of the same stuff. ya, a wire brush will work well, done that and pour-15 on a motorcycle frame before and it turned out good.
im only getting the sand blaster because theres a lot of small areas on the rotor, and caliper that i can't reach with a brush, and im just gonna paint it all down there.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
/im having trouble waiting. just paid for a stage2 and dsg tune. i spent the better part of a day cleaning my summer wheels.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
i know the feeling. i'm ready for the semester to be over so i can get on to summer things. like my red beetle project, and atv trips.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
How sad is it that I kind of thought those ugly i3 (BMW EV) were maybe a good idea, just because the body is Carbon fiber and aluminum frame.
Narrow tires also help in the snow. I need help, or to relocate....
Wonder if I could rip out the gas generator and put in a diesel one....

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
How sad is it that I kind of thought those ugly i3 (BMW EV) were maybe a good idea, just because the body is Carbon fiber and aluminum frame.
Narrow tires also help in the snow. I need help, or to relocate....
Wonder if I could rip out the gas generator and put in a diesel one....
I've long thought that a little electric car would be neat with one of those tiny little kubota z482 motors spinning a generator.
Kinda too bad the electric cars don't seem to be having battery capacity troubles like they said they would, so the reason to stuff a genset in one just ain't there, and the affordability certainly ain't there with what they're going for used.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I looked online at the space the existing motor has, and there is little little to work with. I was mostly kidding for the reasons you pointed out.
Not sure why VW is waiting on the ID.3 and not selling it here, but I guess they figure the US will only buy crossovers......

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I've long thought that a little electric car would be neat with one of those tiny little kubota z482 motors spinning a generator.
Kinda too bad the electric cars don't seem to be having battery capacity troubles like they said they would, so the reason to stuff a genset in one just ain't there, and the affordability certainly ain't there with what they're going for used.
There is a non-trivial amount of code to overcome if y'all want things to drive and charge at the same time. Or, y'all might get by with just cutting into the orange wires and sticking in the output of the main rectifier pack. I would not like to trust the gen set not to overcharge the big Li pack, and that is a wee bit unhealthy.
cheers,
Douglas

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
There is a non-trivial amount of code to overcome if y'all want things to drive and charge at the same time. Or, y'all might get by with just cutting into the orange wires and sticking in the output of the main rectifier pack. I would not like to trust the gen set not to overcharge the big Li pack, and that is a wee bit unhealthy.
cheers,
Douglas
I'd imagine you could just plug it into the charging port and see what it does.

though modern car prolly has some stupid parking brake shenanigans going on, like the jeeps and acuras that throw it into park when you open the door while moving

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

Does anyone want this CARGO mat? I'll include 2 of those blocks, wife needs a couple for hers. It came out of a 2010 JSW, not sure what else it fits.
(floor mat not included)

Free fifty Free.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I'd imagine you could just plug it into the charging port and see what it does.

though modern car prolly has some stupid parking brake shenanigans going on, like the jeeps and acuras that throw it into park when you open the door while moving
Rest assured the EV's have a thorough code implementation to prevent the IC-engine equivalent of driving away with the gas hose's nozzle still in the car...:)
cheers,
Douglas

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
what would you guys think about adding some thin rubber to the bottom of the factory mud flaps? i hate hearing the sand being kicked up onto my rockers.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
what would you guys think about adding some thin rubber to the bottom of the factory mud flaps? i hate hearing the sand being kicked up onto my rockers.
it's do able, idk how long they would last with MN winters (depends on the rubber). I took mine off and added O'Reilly ones that work good. i also extended them out past the wheel wells so it doesn't pick up as much snow, and salt where the rear bubble fender hits the body. I could try and attach a pic...

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
it's do able, idk how long they would last with MN winters (depends on the rubber). I took mine off and added O'Reilly ones that work good. i also extended them out past the wheel wells so it doesn't pick up as much snow, and salt where the rear bubble fender hits the body. I could try and attach a pic...
be awesome if you could

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
i have to figure out how to upload pic's. i tried but tdi club says the file exceeds the limit...
so it might take a bit.