MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
And if that transmission isn't claimed already, I may be interested. Depends on how this shift tower rebuild goes on my daily. It will save me from pulling a gasser one and seeing what it takes to transfer diesel final drive over.
Looks like GG's going to pick it up.
IIRC shift tower just more or less pulls out without major disassembly, why not grab one from the junkyard from a gas motor trans and jam it into your diesel trans?

Anyone got a junk automatic they'd give away?
I'd like to look into building one up with a full manual valve body.

TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
Looks like GG's going to pick it up.
IIRC shift tower just more or less pulls out without major disassembly, why not grab one from the junkyard from a gas motor trans and jam it into your diesel trans?
If the tower is actually shot that is what I will do, but I fear that the trans is bad - possible shift fork. Tower rebuild stuff got here today.

Worst case ontario, I pull the trans from my mk2 and put that in the daily while I figure out a solution. The gasser trans isn't that different in gear ratios, but it is in final drive. With the amount of gas transmissions I can get for $100 at the junkyard, I would probably go that route for the mk2 anyways.;)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
With the amount of gas transmissions I can get for $100 at the junkyard, I would probably go that route for the mk2 anyways.;)
low ratio final drive is the hot rod thing to do anyways. :p

My idea of an 02j would start with a 1.8t trans for the close ratios and high first, then TDI fifth and final.

Last edited:
TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped

My idea of an 02j would start with a 1.8t trans for the close ratios and high first, then TDI fifth and final.
That was my idea for the mk2 if it comes to that. I'd rather not have to but you know how it goes...

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS

I have a 1.8t 02j if anyone wants to go that route.

violentaesthete - Did you just post on the eurowerks FB group about your broken shifter? I have a complete 99.5 shifter box you can have if that helps.

[486] - I have a dead 01m you can have. I'd be happy to bring it along when we meet up.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
[486] - I have a dead 01m you can have. I'd be happy to bring it along when we meet up.
Cool beans.

Been wanting to tinker with one, as nobody seems to.
Got a c4 in my go-fast foxbody and no boost lag after shifts is really nice.

TDI
Mk2 ALH Swapped
violentaesthete - Did you just post on the eurowerks FB group about your broken shifter? I have a complete 99.5 shifter box you can have if that helps.
I actually did, also in TCEuros. I am buying a mk3 tdi o2A and flywheel (single mass!!!!) for cheap and will probably use the o2j out of my mk2 for the wagon, and throw the o2a in the mk2. That is unless I drill and tap the o2a for a dogbone mount, then its getting put in the wagon as it has a lower final drive.

My trans is junk - shift tower bearing looked brand new, but I pulled bits out of the bottom of the trans. Still dailying it, threw some syncromesh in it to help with the hard 2nd gear shift. I am 90% sure its the 1-2 hub at this point as it occasionally pops out of 1st and the noise that I thought was dual mass noise seems to be actually 1st gear rubbing the case. The fluid looked like kesha puke.

Also, after looking at the bentley, it appears the diesels have a quick 1-3 and then overdrive 4 and 5 from the factory. No need to play tranny whisperer.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Before I hit the phones tomorrow, does anyone have a braided turbo feed line laying around that'll work on an ALH? Also may be looking for a 5 speed manual trans. bearings are going on my 03. Trying to button this thing up to sell. Thanks.

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
Craigslist TDI purchase

Hello Minnesota TDI club members. I am a long term owner of 2004 Jettas with the BEW engine. I have entered in a verbal agreement to purchase this Jetta from your local craigslist. Unfortunately I am about 4 hours drive from him. I am very familiar with everything to look for as far as maintenance and have had most of my questions answered to my satisfaction from the seller. Fenders, and rockers were replaced before he bought it under the VW rust warranty, timing belt was done at 100,000 miles, correct oil used. He sent me a video of it starting along with many other high quality photos from different angles and they all look nice.
It's a long shot but I'm wondering if anybody on here has looked at this car or seen it and knows any more just to double check before I make the drive.
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/d/2004-jetta-tdi/6386904390.html
thanks in advance

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
The fact that the steering wheel is so far off from the wheel position disturbs me.

mrowens33

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta sedan slushbox, 2004 Jetta wagon manual( my Noble Steed)
steering wheel

The fact that the steering wheel is so far off from the wheel position disturbs me.
Sam - Good observation. I asked about the steering wheel. When I asked about that he quickly sent me a photo and a video that shows it straight when the wheel is straight. So I'm not sure what was up in that photo. As well as 3 videos if it running and it sounds just like my other BEW's

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I guess the only other things I would wonder about, window regulators and door microswitches.

I do also note that the lower driver's side grill is missing, but we are talking about a 13 year old car.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Congrats!

BTW gang, I finally hit 300K this weekend.

Do you have a std commute that has been the bulk of the miles or trips or ??

I put around 200k on my 99.5 before I sold it and my "new" brm is about to turn 300k. On the brm only about 20k of those are mine;-)

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Long trips, my 1 mile commute doesn't help much.

I see that IBW is at 357K

Should get a couple of thousand this weekend.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
<- 170ish
and apart for another head gasket, actually decking the head and block this time though

brokaw101

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Manual tran 234k
Turbo out

Posting for a friend to see if anyone recommends someone to replace turbo in their TDI. She lives in Andover and was just quoted $3300.

I will try to get Year details in a bit.

It is an 09 Jetta.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Posting for a friend to see if anyone recommends someone to replace turbo in their TDI. She lives in Andover and was just quoted $3300.

I will try to get Year details in a bit.

It is an 09 Jetta.
oof! that's downright painful

greengeeker up in cambridge is good people, so's jfettig in blaine if he's still doing work, haven't seen him around the forum in a bit though
I've met both in person and traded parts.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Anyone local with the bearing tool willing to help me replace a front bearing on my b4v?

I hope to confirm it's the bearing vs cv or whatever tomorrow.

Scott2armstrong@gmail.com

Thanks much!

Last edited:

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
wheel bearing tool kit

Hi Scott - you have PM & email. I have a wheel bearing tool kit, happy to loan it out, maybe can lend a hand, timing/time permitting . . . it's typically not that difficult of a job with the proper tools, planning, parts, patience, etc.

Anyone local with the bearing tool willing to help me replace a front bearing on my b4v?

I hope to confirm it's the bearing vs cv or whatever tomorrow.

Scott2armstrong@gmail.com

Thanks much!

anplushf

TDI
2001 Beetle “Rudy” 350k mi, auto ☹ 2013 Passat Stock 147k & climbing
ALH swap into B5 A4

Long time member/ lurker and TDI owner. Had a 2001 TDI beetle since new have 350k on it.
Transmission just went out again and can’t justify the $3000 to rebuild it.
So in my infinite wisdom / midlife crisis I decided I was putting it in a car I liked.
After some research I settled on a 2001 A4 Avant.
Found one at auction for a steal with only 113,000 on it, V6 5spd.
I think I can handle most of it but was wondering if anyone in the area can do ECU flashes/tunes and is fimiliar with Audi VW interactions ?
I am located in Milltown, WI but Work in Arden Hills, MN.
Any tips or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
I’m a truck mechanic by trade and have done all the maintenance on my car ( minus automatic transmission work)
Thanks
Tony

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
I'm looking for a mechanic in Northern Minnesota. Anyone from Duluth have any experience with Autobahn Service or Foreign affairs and/or have a preference? Or, if you have a recommendation closer to Grand Rapids/Hibbing, that's even better. Thank you.
Aron, I dunno if you still post here, but I took my 2011 to Autobahn for maintenance when I lived up in Duluth. The guy that runs it was an Audi technician for about 10 years and has factory Audi training.

Mike is a great guy personally, too. I bet he still remembers my car. It was red, loud as ****, and had racing stripes.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Long time member/ lurker and TDI owner. Had a 2001 TDI beetle since new have 350k on it.
Transmission just went out again and can’t justify the $3000 to rebuild it.
So in my infinite wisdom / midlife crisis I decided I was putting it in a car I liked.
After some research I settled on a 2001 A4 Avant.
Found one at auction for a steal with only 113,000 on it, V6 5spd.
I think I can handle most of it but was wondering if anyone in the area can do ECU flashes/tunes and is fimiliar with Audi VW interactions ?
I am located in Milltown, WI but Work in Arden Hills, MN.
Any tips or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.
I’m a truck mechanic by trade and have done all the maintenance on my car ( minus automatic transmission work)
Thanks
Tony
Try Orr Autosport in Eden Prairie or Nur Technik in Burnsville. They may be able to help.