MN Chat Thread

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Stay tuned Flying Kasper FMIC coming up for sale shortly. All the plumbing for an ALH and VNT 17/22. Nick will be taking pictures as he has my car. PM me if you want first dibs.

I will throw in a 40psi VD0 Analog gage too.

Last edited:

1st_TDI:)

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
interested

Stay tuned Flying Kasper FMIC coming up for sale shortly. All the plumbing for an ALH and VNT 17/22. Nick will be taking pictures as he has my car. PM me if you want first dibs.

I will throw in a 40psi VD0 Analog gage too.
PM sent:rolleyes:

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Curious Chris

Unrelated to Chris's post: There is an untouched ALH/5spd Beetle at the East Bethel UPullIT yard. Looks to have a broken timing belt.
Nick,
Was hoping you could PM about what is available with 17/22 Pics would be great:D

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The FMIC is posted in classifieds. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5208386#post5208386 The turbo works but Nick experienced the same thing I did a couple of times where you stomp on it and the engine stumbles and dies and is hard to start. Not sure what that is about but I know it only occurs when you stomp on it from maybe 2100 rpm. I just got into the habit of not doing jack rabbit starts and it worked fine for me. Caveat emptor and I am thinking of taking any offer for the turbo or throwing it away.

Ah back in the FMIC goes as my 17/22 is good although I know that it has some strange characteristics.

Last edited:

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Regarding the Buyback, I am wondering if anyone in MN has done one yet and what they have done about the Seller's Notice of Sale part. Usually when you sell a car to someone who's not a dealer (Volkswagen of America is not a dealer, right?), you have to notify the DMV of the sale to release your liability. But from what I've read, they don't fill out anything on the title when you hand in the car, they just have you sign a POA so they can fill out the title on your behalf later.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Interesting - let me know what you find out. I'll bug a friend who should be turning his over soon to ask the question.

11JSWTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta SW 6MT(sold)
Regarding the Buyback, I am wondering if anyone in MN has done one yet and what they have done about the Seller's Notice of Sale part. Usually when you sell a car to someone who's not a dealer (Volkswagen of America is not a dealer, right?), you have to notify the DMV of the sale to release your liability. But from what I've read, they don't fill out anything on the title when you hand in the car, they just have you sign a POA so they can fill out the title on your behalf later.

I completed my buyback the afternoon of the 20th at Luther in Burnsville. How you described the process, plus completing the mileage certification, was how it went. I was not overly concerned about the NoS aspect since I felt there was sufficient email traffic to show I had actually transferred the car if an issue had arisen. But my curiosity, and your post, got the better of me so today I stopped at my local Deputy Registrar's office to see what they had in the system. Apparently, nothing has been changed yet so they suggested I email DVS via their website and ask what, if anything, I should do about the NoS. I'll post again once I receive their response to let you know.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Possible TDI Compensation from the state

Heads up to Minnesota CR 2.0L TDI owners. The state was previously awarded $11.5 million and they potentially have an additional $43 million they are seeking from VW as well. Upon direction by another owner I contacted the Attorney General's office regarding our "Eligible Seller" claim. I've been told sometime in the next 60-120 days the AG office will be mailing information to owners they have in their database with details on possibly qualifying for additional compensation if you feel you were not at least made "whole" by the settlement.

Although nothing has been determined yet, it sounds like most "Eligible Owners" who are getting the full buyback and restitution would probably not qualify for additional restitution however many of the "Eligible Sellers" might have a case since they probably sold or traded their cars in for less along with only getting 50% of the restitution amount. There may be other owners scenarios that come into play as well I'm not thinking of.

We traded in our car shortly after the announcement and they did show our information in their database however they did tell me some other "previous" owners who have contacted them have not.

If you believe you were not made whole and want to get their mailing you may want to contact the AG's office directly to make sure you are on their list.

11JSWTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta SW 6MT(sold)

Below is the response I received from MN DSV. I requested they flag my vehicle as sold and provided VWGoA's Corporate location in Herndon, VA and Auburn Hills, MI since that was the return address from the Final Offer letter.

[FONT=&quot]"When a vehicle is sold we recommend filing a report of sale. This type of report of sale would not be able to be completed online. If the vehicle was given back to the dealership we will need to know the dealership name, address, and the date of sale (mm/dd/yyyy). If the vehicle was sold out of State we will need to know the State and we can flag the record for you."

[/FONT]Unless they come back asking me for additional information, it appears an email to DVS with your full name as shown on the registration or title, your plate number and the sold to state, requesting the vehicle be flagged as sold should be sufficient.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I used the 'Contact info' from their website to submit my initial question.

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
Oh, does anyone know if a source for 5th gear set and related parts (synchro, synchro hub, needle bearing) for a PD? Preferrably Southern MN or Metro. Might look at used trannys also.

FraggyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Hey guys, I have an ALH block bored oversized and honed and comes with 2 brand new pistons if anyone is interested. Also have the crank and ported head to go with it.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
I was at the Twin Cities VW Club dinner last night. There was a guy there from Luther VW, sorry I didn't catch his name. He was saying that VW would be ending production on Diesel vehicles after the emissions debacle. They will be ramping up production on electric vehicles though.

I also received a call from Luther yesterday. They are going to take care of my rust issues. I just need to get it scheduled. I guess I'll hang on to my '05!
David

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I highly doubt that. They might end imports to USA but they wouldn't end production of their primary power plants. EPA is pushing them to import EV's to make up for their sins.

GlenB4

TDI
06 Jetta / 02 Jetta
Yeah, I'd definitely delete the emissions. Thank goodness MN doesn't have E-testing, hopefully it stays that way. The walnut blasting, is that a BMW dealer only service? Any HPFP-type failures as long as you have good fuel? Is there a go-to BMW type forum that knows much about the diesels? I know it won't compare to TDI Club, but I'd like to know what you've found to be the best resource. Do you plan to DIY repairs/maintenance as much as possible?
You can PM me if you'd like, this is getting a bit off-topic. :eek:
Eurotech in New Brighton is a good option for the intake cleaning service (or any BMW service).

We just picked up a diesel X5 too, CEL is on for a bad sensor, $1,300 to replace, might as well spend that on a DPF delete instead, right Jon? :)

It's going to replace our 06 TDI, which is now for sale if anyone is interested
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/5969704356.html

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Love my Dewalt DCF 889 XR impact tool. 1200 ft-lb in reverse: axel nut came right off. 700 ft-lb forward, under 60 seconds front bearing came out.

Thanks to Farmboy for the bearing tool lending. New bearing going in tomorrow or Monday depending on my motivation.

Last edited:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Eurotech in New Brighton is a good option for the intake cleaning service (or any BMW service).
We just picked up a diesel X5 too, CEL is on for a bad sensor, $1,300 to replace, might as well spend that on a DPF delete instead, right Jon? :)
It's going to replace our 06 TDI, which is now for sale if anyone is interested
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/5969704356.html
Thanks. I've heard of them, good to hear an endorsement from a fellow TDI'er though.

How do you like the X5? I've only test drove one for about 10 minutes, but I still get a grin on my face when I think about it. I'm still hoping to get one this year, just working on saving up enough for a down payment and I am budgeting for mods already. I'm figuring around $2300 for tuning, EGR race pipe and exhaust mods (with cat). Will get rid of the swirl flaps too when I clean the intake.

I'll definitely be keeping the old TDI around though, I like having a pair and a spare.

GlenB4

TDI
06 Jetta / 02 Jetta
Thanks. I've heard of them, good to hear an endorsement from a fellow TDI'er though.
How do you like the X5? I've only test drove one for about 10 minutes, but I still get a grin on my face when I think about it. I'm still hoping to get one this year, just working on saving up enough for a down payment and I am budgeting for mods already. I'm figuring around $2300 for tuning, EGR race pipe and exhaust mods (with cat). Will get rid of the swirl flaps too when I clean the intake.
I'll definitely be keeping the old TDI around though, I like having a pair and a spare.
Prior to the diesel we had a 3.0 X5 (super rare 6-speed manual), so from my perspective the 35d is a much better tow vehicle, but my wife has been driving it daily and she loves it (I think the heated steering wheel alone won her over). We'll just have to see how reliable it is long term.

I've been watching the price on these for more than a year and I would say the local market is flooded right now and prices are very low, it's a good time to buy.

GlenB4

TDI
06 Jetta / 02 Jetta
Prior to the diesel we had a 3.0 X5 (super rare 6-speed manual), so from my perspective the 35d is a much better tow vehicle, but my wife has been driving it daily and she loves it (I think the heated steering wheel alone won her over). We'll just have to see how reliable it is long term.

I've been watching the price on these for more than a year and I would say the local market is flooded right now and prices are very low, it's a good time to buy. 09 and 10 are pretty much fully depreciated with many good miles left in them, but like any BMW that old you have to be able to do your own maintenance.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
I picked up my '05 Passat from Luther after they replaced the hood, trunk lid, both front fenders and repaired one rear quarter panel under the rust warranty. They did a fantastic job! The paint matches, they buffed the entire car, realigned the doors and cleaned the interior!
I am impressed, the car looks new!
david

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hey I am thinking of a summer GTG at my place in North Minneapolis this summer.

I have 2 car garage that I can empty out if people want to work on there cars and I have VCDS for scanning.

It would be BYOB and I would have the grill fired up and the deep fat fryer hot. Y'all can bring something to share etc.

Right now I have FarmBoy's Wheel Bearing Kit that I should get back to him. I have the Snap on tool for rear bearings. I have injector slide hammer. Rear trailing arm bushing install tool.

Been a while.

If there is interest I will start a new thread,

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Hey I am thinking of a summer GTG at my place in North Minneapolis this summer.

I have 2 car garage that I can empty out if people want to work on there cars and I have VCDS for scanning.

It would be BYOB and I would have the grill fired up and the deep fat fryer hot. Y'all can bring something to share etc.

Right now I have FarmBoy's Wheel Bearing Kit that I should get back to him. I have the Snap on tool for rear bearings. I have injector slide hammer. Rear trailing arm bushing install tool.

Been a while.

If there is interest I will start a new thread,
GTG sounds great.
Work schedule may play havock, but will see what works.