MN Chat Thread

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Just throwing it out there because that's the kind of vehicle he's competing against in the used market.

That and I'd like more to chime in with what they've paid/gotten lately. Always interesting to know what the value of things is.
Not even close. His car is well kept and in good condition.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Not even close. His car is well kept and in good condition.
I guess it's an issue of perception.
I see the automotive wrapper as a low importance item. Motor's all I care about in the car, it'll probably end up in something else when the body's gone.

Fauvay, feel free to ignore me. I'm not really a volkswagen guy.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Its not an issue of perception, its luck.

Fauvay, post up an ad here and CL, it'll go quick. I don't recall all the specifics on your car but you'll have no problem selling it.

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
Got the serpentine belt tensioner, driver side mirror and cabin air filter changed this weekend.

Nice to have at least a couple of things done.

Next will be the window regulator. Fussing with door trim has never been my version of fun.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

najel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5 speed
I'm just glad to get the winter tires off and summer slicks on. I'd prefer if they were not slicks, but I hope to get another 10k or 15k miles out of them. When the time comes for a set of new tires, I'm considering the new Michelin Premier A/S.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/02/michelin-premier-season-tire-review.html
Haha, yeah I put mine on last week. So nice to have the nicer rims on the car again, but I do not like my summer tires all that much. They are Kenda Kaisers that came on the car and they ate noisier than my Michelin xice winters.

Oh by the way there is a chance of snow in the forecast for the weekend :banghead:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Oh by the way there is a chance of snow in the forecast for the weekend :banghead:
hahahahahahahahahha good one
:(

I just put on a pair of almost bald summer tires on the rear, too. Narrower shorter 175/65s though, so I'm gonna see what that does to my 41mpg so far. Should sit .75" lower in the back too, for what little aerodynamic gains that'll get... Might be worse though, my rear brakes look like they're sticky (rust on the rotors turns a brighter shade of orange when it has gotten overly hot) and with the smaller tires the sticky brakes will have more leverage on the car...

In other news, I bought a sachs DMF from the scalpers at a-abco (oh man do I hate supporting them rather than the smaller friendlier junkyards) and drilled the rivets out only to find that the whole thing is welded together in a puzzle like fashion. Gonna see about making an SMF out of it that weighs in the 30lb range by turning a cast iron insert to stick in it with some countersunk socket head cap screws and gnarly red/green locktite. The TDIs are internally balanced from what I read so it should be dirt simple to balance out on the tire balancer at work.

Koopakhan

TDI
99 New Beetle
Hi guys, I'm new to the Eagan area. I moved here from California. The cold weather tips helped greatly. I've had Delilah (my '99 Beetle) for about 3 years.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Hi guys, I'm new to the Eagan area. I moved here from California. The cold weather tips helped greatly. I've had Delilah (my '99 Beetle) for about 3 years.
You picked the wrong winter to move to MN. Welcome Koopakhan!

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Been trying to get a hold of Greengeeker via PM, but no response. Nick, if you are out there, send me a PM please!
Greengeeker should be back in town. He was out on a business trip till yesterday I think, so he's probably playing catch-up today I would imagine...

lakillie

TDI
Beetle - Sportwagen
2013 tdi wagon runs cold

Whenever the temp is close to zero or colder I get engine temps of 130 -150 degrees even after a 40 mile commute. In town it drops to the bottom of the gauge. Dealer installed new t stat assembly (after much prompting). Had it in 4 times,no codes, only once did it run a little colder for them. (they work inside imagine that!!) it is always at temp when i arrive, almost 90 miles to the dealer.
Now that is warm it runs much better and runs at 190, gets to temp in just a few miles instead of 60 -70 miles. Any ideas?? I want to get it fixed and better yet covered before its out of warranty 21,000+ miles now.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Whenever the temp is close to zero or colder I get engine temps of 130 -150 degrees even after a 40 mile commute. In town it drops to the bottom of the gauge. Dealer installed new t stat assembly (after much prompting). Had it in 4 times,no codes, only once did it run a little colder for them. (they work inside imagine that!!) it is always at temp when i arrive, almost 90 miles to the dealer.
Now that is warm it runs much better and runs at 190, gets to temp in just a few miles instead of 60 -70 miles. Any ideas?? I want to get it fixed and better yet covered before its out of warranty 21,000+ miles now.
There is nothing wrong with your TDI -- that is why your dealer can't fix it. It is not a problem common to TDIs only, but to all diesel cars and trucks. Do a Google search for "cold weather radiator cover diesel" and you'll find that the TDI and Duramax and Powerstroke and Cummins and Mercedes owners all ask the same question and get the same answer.

Gas engines have a fixed fuel-air ratio, but diesel engines do not. Diesels have a lot more cold air blowing through them, so they tend to run cooler and cool down quicker in cold weather. A different thermostat doesn't make any difference. Installing a cold weather cover in front of the radiator (or directly behind if that's possible) helps to keep some cold air from reaching the engine, and in Minnesota every little bit helps.

Two years ago was a very warm winter, and my Golf averaged 41.6 mpg from December 1st till April 1st.

Last year was a normal winter, and my fuel mileage dropped to 40.9 mpg.

This was a cold winter, and fuel mileage dropped further, to 39.7 mpg.

Each fall I tell myself that I'm going to put in a cold weather cover, and each year I procrastinate until it's too cold to go out and do it. Not again, though.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I often wondered on my gas car if I should have scavenged one of those exhaust manifold heat stoves (that heated the intake air) off an old carbureted car. The cold's no doubt hell on fuel atomization on a gas motor, and while a modern fuel injected car (or a diesel) CAN run with -30 degree intake air, I can't imagine it is efficient.

Bet you anything that the reason the heat stoves stopped being installed was mostly just cost savings, as most cars never absolutely needed them, and the few cars that saw the benefit can now limp through the winter with the advent of EFI.

Eh, something to screw with when I'm done fiddling with this funky EGR coolant heater setup.

bkrahmer

TDI
2006 Passat Wagon
There is nothing wrong with your TDI -- that is why your dealer can't fix it. It is not a problem common to TDIs only, but to all diesel cars and trucks.
Sorry, but I don't buy that at all. My '03 would get to 190 after five minutes, maybe 10 if it's below 0. Never, ever 40 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes to get the cabin fully heated at -15, but definitely not operating temp. The only time I ever saw the temp gauge actually fall was going down a very long hill at -15. Went from 190 to 120 in about a minute, but quickly came back. Full operating temp seems to be a bit slower on my '10, by about 5 minutes, but have heat within 2-3 (thanks to electricity, not coolant).

brian

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry, but I don't buy that at all. My '03 would get to 190 after five minutes, maybe 10 if it's below 0. Never, ever 40 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes to get the cabin fully heated at -15, but definitely not operating temp. The only time I ever saw the temp gauge actually fall was going down a very long hill at -15. Went from 190 to 120 in about a minute, but quickly came back. Full operating temp seems to be a bit slower on my '10, by about 5 minutes, but have heat within 2-3 (thanks to electricity, not coolant).
brian
lakillie's profile shows that he lives in Chisholm, which is on the Iron Range in northern Minnesota -- much colder in the winter than the Twin Cities, and much colder than most places in Colorado. When it is -15° in the Twin Cities, it can be -25° or lower up in the Iron Range, and this winter just ending has been one of the coldest in decades.

So what he described seems entirely reasonable to me.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
It should get to temp pretty decently, especially if all the emissions equipment is in place - and I assume it is. Jerry, don't you have your EGR deleted? If so it won't get to temp nearly as fast as a common rail with EGR.

His stock CR should get to temp. Mine wouldn't until I blocked the grills when it was -10 or colder without EGR.

Its too bad its not cold anymore, they won't know if they fixed anything and you'll probably be past warranty. They could try swapping the thermostat - maybe the original is bad.

A-Mark

TDI
03 Jetta
How much is it to have the thermostat replaced?

I think my 03 needs a new one. All winter it was running significantly below 190. At the time I thought it may just be due to the super cold weather, but even now when its in the 50's - 60's, its running one hash mark below 190.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It should get to temp pretty decently, especially if all the emissions equipment is in place - and I assume it is. Jerry, don't you have your EGR deleted? If so it won't get to temp nearly as fast as a common rail with EGR.

His stock CR should get to temp. Mine wouldn't until I blocked the grills when it was -10 or colder without EGR.

Its too bad its not cold anymore, they won't know if they fixed anything and you'll probably be past warranty. They could try swapping the thermostat - maybe the original is bad.
Jon, I don't think it's a question of how fast the engine warms up, so much as it is how quickly it cools down when idling or going downhill. Does the EGR affect that?

lakillie said the dealership already replaced the thermostat assembly. Wouldn't that be just the thermostat, or is there more to it than that? Sounds to me like replacing the thermostat didn't make any difference.

And if the VW TDI's EGR is a factor, why are the enthusiasts of other diesel engine cars and pickups also discussing ways to get and keep their engines running hot in sub-zero temps?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
EGR kicks in anytime you're not into the throttle hard.

I missed the part he mentioned about the thermostat. I'm not sure where to take it at the moment without some good diagnosis.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Okay, sure, exhaust gases are going to be warmer than clean frigid fresh air. So that can be one factor.

But before I had the EGR deleted on my Golf, I made several cross-country trips from SoCal to the Midwest in the summer, and I never had my engine warm up on those long steep grades that cause gas-engine cars to overheat. So from my personal experience TDIs tend to run cooler even in the heat of summer.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I guess you should hook up a scan gauge to your OBDII port and find out what temp the computer is getting. IFRC there are two outputs from the sensor, one to the computer, the other to the gauge. If you have the Scan Gauge on, you can see that 190 degrees on the gauge can be anything from 170 to 210.

Some thoughts.

If you are working your engine hard at 0 F degrees (70 on the highway)
you should be in the 180 to 190 range.

If you have disabled the EGR you will need a winter front to keep you decently warm.

Check your Thermostat. My car was full open at 170, now with the new one, I can see 193. (the gauge never saw the difference). Just because you have a new thermostat, don't assume it works, some people have gone through 3 or 4 to find a good one.

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Maybe spam's other points are the real issue here. Still, I like his comment about validating the thermostat you have in the car. I had intended to address this point, he beat me to the punch. For all I know there are multiple threads on TDIclub and elsewhere on the web addressing this. I'm just thinking about it, so I'll lay out my perspective.

You might feel I'm laying out a wild goose chase. Or, you might feel I'm laying out how you can eliminate possibilities so you can narrow the focus of what's really going wrong.

Validating thermostats:

Hopefully you got the old thermostat. If you didn't, it's just something to think about in the future. If you did, is it fully closed at room temp?
Did you see the new one before it went in, was it fully closed at room temp? Although you'd like to think the mechanic would have cared enough to notice this . . .

Further, it's an easy thing to put a thermostat in a pan of water on a stove/range with a cooking thermometer, turn the heat up and down, note the temp when it cracks open, when it's fully open, when it starts closing, when it's fully closed. Basically, get an idea of how it's really working.

And. If you do your own work, and you think it's time to replace a thermostat, consider this. Before you go to the time and trouble of putting the new thermostat in, by the method above you can verify it's operation is different than the last one, and hopefully closer to how you really want it to work.

At the least, you can get a new thermostat now, check it, and then swap them, and check the one that you just removed. If you still have warranty, your choice, of course, whether you want to go to all of the trouble.

Yeah, it's not supposed to be necessary to do this. Life just works that way sometimes . . .

If anyone feels I've made a mistake here, please let me know, I'll be happy to come back and correct or delete.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
When I changed my thermostat in the middle of winter in MN, I logged the data and it showed a vary fast ramp to 190 degrees.

Whooee Koni FSD's on my Golf and Moog springs one weight rating up. I will be in my in July for a few days.