MN Chat Thread

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
So, who is the owner of the black Mk4 Golf GL TDI with a ~1.5" drop, 17" Ariettas, roof rack, and a bit of smoke that I pulled up behind yesterday about 2pm @ University and 280? My 4 door blue Golf 1.8T was very, very jealous (though I have gotten 32.5-33mpg on the last 2 tanks).

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Has any one ever used one of these intakes before?
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2090754/...&utm_content=retail&utm_campaign=PD_ES2090754

My car is an 03 ALH that has almost 107,000 on it. The thing is completely stock. My guess is that the intake is probably slightly clogged from all those miles and never being cleaned. The car still gets 46-48 mpg. I was thinking about getting rid of the EGR and cleaning out my intake. Wondering if this might be a good option.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Curious, does anyone have one near the Twin Cities area???
I have VCDS Hex-Com that would work on your car. I live in Blaine. Send me a PM I am assuming your car is a 2000 Golf as my VCDS only works on ALH and back engines; or put another way not on any PD engine.

Last edited:

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Has any one ever used one of these intakes before?
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2090754/...&utm_content=retail&utm_campaign=PD_ES2090754

My car is an 03 ALH that has almost 107,000 on it. The thing is completely stock. My guess is that the intake is probably slightly clogged from all those miles and never being cleaned. The car still gets 46-48 mpg. I was thinking about getting rid of the EGR and cleaning out my intake. Wondering if this might be a good option.
Chances are good you do have a lot of carbon sludge in there but cleaning it would be a lot cheaper than replacing. If you do wish to replace you might consider a PD 150 manifold. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=255267 scroll dow a few pics to see it. The listed price works out to $150.34. You can clean the dirty one by soaking it in solvent or WD 40 the torching it.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
With the economy the way it is, I need to save every penny. So I'm considering performing the timing belt change on my A5 Jetta myself. This is not preferred, since I don't have the time to dedicate hours at a crack - so it's going to take me a few days to get it done.
I've got the TB kit and a crankshaft lock (will make the camshaft lock pin), but need a fender mount engine support bar. I was planning on making one vs. renting, since I don't know how long I'll be using it. From the looks of it, the fender support brackets on the car don't protrude forward far enough - with some tension on it, it appears the support would want to tip forward. Anyone who works on the A5/BRM that uses a support like that have advice?

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Support the engine from below with a floor jack and a large block of wood.
I'd planned on that, but is that sufficient? All DIYs I've read mention supporting the engine from above as well (for safety, and to keep engine from shifting for easier mount reattachment). Not necessary?

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
CADtechTDi

Green Geeker knows his stuff, since he probably won't blow his own horn...

He is a recognized MN Guru and a snappy dresser.

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
& a good judge of micro brew too, I might add. ;)
Hehe - I didn't intended to question GG's reputation or expertise. I know you guys know your stuff. In the end, it's still my car and safety - and I'm pretty partial to my body parts - so just wanted to confirm. I do appreciate the help!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hehe - I didn't intended to question GG's reputation or expertise. I know you guys know your stuff. In the end, it's still my car and safety - and I'm pretty partial to my body parts - so just wanted to confirm. I do appreciate the help!
No worries. :) (thanks for the kind words guys...especially the microbrew comments)

Safety is always a valid concern. You do will have the transmission pendulum mount and dogbone to steady the engine while it is on your jack. It also doesn't "flop" around while you have the mount out. It helps to be accustomed to how sensitive your jack is while lowering.

In the end, if you're not comfortable doing it then it is the wrong method for you and there are plenty of members who have the fender mount that you could borrow.

Good luck.

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
What ever happened to the dyno day, did anyone go? What kind of power did you get?

Later

Nick

Johnny Canola

TDI
03 Jetta Wagen TDI
Can anyone enlighten me on the maf twist??? I plugged my egr with a golf tee but got a cel the next day!!?? Although the cel went off after I re-connected the vacuum line!!

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
There should be a how-to thread if you search for it. It will probably work, but long-term I think you will be happier with an EGR delete (and more power) tune.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
We have the trans out. It appears the flywheel bolts are 12point star bit for some reason. I got a set from napa, 6,8,10,12mm in size. 10's to small, 12's to big.

Anyone have a 11mm one?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
We have the trans out. It appears the flywheel bolts are 12point star bit for some reason. I got a set from napa, 6,8,10,12mm in size. 10's to small, 12's to big.

Anyone have a 11mm one?
I just went to the garage to check. My set jumps fron 10 to 12. :(

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
hey any one on here looking for a 5-speed conversion setup? I'm looking to sell mine! local would make things easier. I'm going a different route on the TDi and the stock 5-speed isn't even close to going to work!

v8 coupe

Veteran Member
TDI
09 rabbit 2.5L Gas
Jason you want a stage 2+ unitronics ECU mine's just collecting dust in the garage the new engine won't even be close to able to use this ECU!

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
Last years GTG

Little panorama, if you look in the far right hand side you can see the mk2 :D which does not quite look like that anymore!!

Nick better be ready for a ride sometime soon!

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
So, looking closly at my old clutch, there's plenty of meat on the disc. flywheel looks good, it's not heated up. the pressure plate has a broke finger and throwout bearing is solid.

I was just over powering the clutch, possibly the finger wasn't helping..

Anyone want this old setup? make me an offer.