MN Chat Thread

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
MPLSTDI said:
Well I just got my Jetta back from the shop, I never thought I would miss a car so much. I was driving a 09 Cobalt as a loaner, it's not half the car my Jetta is. For those at the GTG at leppy's it ended up being a little over two thousand.
And it didn't look that bad...
My Jetta spoils me :)
No it didn't look very bad but parts & time add up pretty quick. I like your Jetta too. :D

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Thanks, darkhorse

plus it didn't help that during the 4 days I had the loaner I went through a tank of gas. (but it was 350 miles)

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
They painted the bumper skin, but most of the grills and support for them were replaced. The driver side head light and mounting ( it looked fine until they took it apart, the support and tab on the head light were broke) The whole support for the radiator.
Parts were around 1,200 paint and body labor were near $800

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
BTW, I didn't realize there are so many part to the bumper alone. The insurance guy told me that the VWs were the most expensive cars to fix front end damage. There is like 20 parts to the front bumper!

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
MPLSTDI said:
BTW, I didn't realize there are so many part to the bumper alone. The insurance guy told me that the VWs were the most expensive cars to fix front end damage. There is like 20 parts to the front bumper!
Ha! I'll admit it is very unlikely the adjuster has had to deal with a wrecked S8, but car and driver did: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q1/2007_audi_s8-long-term_road_test

$29,969 repair bill, and it took 5 months to fix!

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
OK a take that back he said one of the more expensive.

He was talking about a little bump like mine, if it had been at 70MPH it would have been different.

OUCH on the S8

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
greengeeker said:
Forget about that 2006 Jetta -- the ad is all over Craigslist from Boston to Cleveland to Sacramento to New Orleans and San Antonio. I hit the "spam/overlist" button on all of them, and some were already delisted, but sometimes the bogus listings will stay up for several days even after the webmasters are notified.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
A friend of mine crash his TDI last week and didn't have collision insurance, so he is throwing Jewelery party rasied money for another TDI(used and over 100k for miles). His TDI almost made 300K before the accident. Here is the facebook if anybody wants to go the party.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=346104861400&ref=nf

BTW thanks Nick posting those CL listing.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
I think he should buy the 99 Jetta on CL. Right now money tight for him and he is planning to save for his kids college which only a year away.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
MPLSTDI said:
Well I just got my Jetta back from the shop, I never thought I would miss a car so much. I was driving a 09 Cobalt as a loaner, it's not half the car my Jetta is. For those at the GTG at leppy's it ended up being a little over two thousand.
And it didn't look that bad...
My Jetta spoils me :)
I could have written this post (except for the GTG part)!

I got my JSW back from Raymond Auto Body Thursday evening, after two weeks in a Chevy Cobalt (now I know why GM went bankrupt). The only nice thing about the Cobalt was that it generated heat way faster than my TDI.

The damage (literally) came to a sobering $3,700, which included a VW OEM rear hatch, a reman bumper cover (only reman'd part in the whole escapade as far as I can figure), a fair number of interior hatch and latch pieces, and lots of pieces behind the bumper (including one that delayed repair for two days because the unnamed VW dealer sent a sedan bumper support for a Wagon and they had to "air" one in because they were out of the right part). Also included were several hours of labor for the repair and paint (I'm not near the invoice to see the exact figure) and even two hours of rack time to make sure the frame was straight because the hatch opening was a bit compromised.

The car looks really good. The paint looks nice, gaps are even, lettering is on straight, ... Too bad I got the same faded rear-wiper-nut cap; otherwise, it looks new.

Part of Raymond's deal is to do a mini-detail on the car, so the interior was vacuumed out and the plastic cleaned (too bad they couldn't clean the StainMagnet (TM) upholstery) and the outside of the car was clean and looked waxed. Everyone there, from the receptionist to the techs, was very nice, and, except for the Cobalt, it was a painless process.

All in all, I can highly recommend Raymond to anyone who needs body work for their VW.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Steve-o,
Bills did the same for me, wash and maybe a little buff and wax, interior vacuumed and plastic and windows were wiped down. I also think they conditioned the seats.
So glad to have it back, BTW you are right about the heat! Gas gauge went down faster too!

I have looked at that add for the 99 a few times. Looks like a great deal for the right person. My wife and I were talking about getting a third car since she doesn't trust her Prius. But I would rather get something to keep my Jetta from pulling the boat.

Last edited:

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
MPLSTDI said:
Steve-o,
Bills did the same for me, wash and maybe a little buff and wax, interior vacuumed and plastic and windows were wiped down. I also think they conditioned the seats.
So glad to have it back, BTW you are right about the heat! Gas gauge went down faster too!

I have looked at that add for the 99 a few times. Looks like a great deal for the right person. My wife and I were talking about getting a third car since she doesn't trust her Prius. But I would rather get something to keep my Jetta from pulling the boat.

You guys are lucky that the other party had insurance. I on the other hand a few years back was not so fortunate. Lady ran a red and put the entire side of her olds alero across my front bumper. Needless to say she did not have insurance and thus the reason why I am running a less than comparable front bumper.

On a slightly nicer note. Go with a toureg :D :D :D v6 tdi That baby will pull your boat like a champ!

herrh

TDI
wantabe
Hi guys, I'm a new member in Winona and am ready to buy a JSW. Does anybody care to recommend dealers to go to or stay away from? I would go from St. Cloud to Madison and places in between. Thanks for any info.

Leppy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 white TDI 1.9l
herrh said:
Hi guys, I'm a new member in Winona and am ready to buy a JSW. Does anybody care to recommend dealers to go to or stay away from? I would go from St. Cloud to Madison and places in between. Thanks for any info.

I go to Winona fairly frequently. I would come up to St. Cloud. Eich is a pretty good dealership. I would like to hear how others feel about this as well.

scarletvw

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
So hello there everyone, been a while since i've posted anything in here because of not much to say overall. But I am now in a pickle, my 2005.5 BRM equipped Jetta has passed 104k miles and I have yet to have a proper timing belt change completed, and thus I ask the TDI community for assistance.

I need 2 things, I need to be pointed at the best kit to get for the Timing Belt change on a MK5 BRM Jetta 5sp.

And secondly I require someone to do the work, I spoke with GreenKeeper briefly but he was looking into what kit I would need but that was the last thing I heard from him and didn't get a response to my last message.

I drive at least 86 miles daily and my miles keep going up and I'd like to get this taken care of pretty soon, I got money back from taxes so i'm ready to buy parts and pay labor, but I just don't know who to talk to.

So if anyone here is interested send me a PM or email me at scarletvw@gmail.com I live in Chisago City if it matters.