MN Chat Thread

sennister

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
99tdivw said:
Unfortunately you just not found the right person there. I know the Owner( the old Schmeltz) Hi Ill be not happy if hi know the story, i guess is worth to let him know abaout My 2c
Now his daughter husband running the store down...

I am wondering about the dealers in the Metro Area. Schmeltz pissed me off
I wish I knew his name I threw his card on the floor of the show room as we left. After I caught him telling me BS. He was there trying to talk me out of a TDI and into a different platform that I didn't want and he wouldn't let it go. Mainly because they didn't have a TDI Sportwagon which is what I went there to look for. I don't mind when a sales person will admit that they don't know something the sales lady I spoke with at Inver Gove was this way and I am fine with that. But don't make crap up because I will catch them every time and make them look stupid. A great one was when we were looking to buy our A4. The sales idiot told me the + - buttons on the wheel were for the volume on the radio. I flipped the transmission into manual mode and downshifted the car. I turned to the salesman and told him he better have a mechanic look at this car because the volume button just downshifted the transmission. Yeah, I didn't buy from him.

He was really

02tdivw

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf Tdi
Couple people pissed me of to, after one week I was painting the steelership, i meet whit john, explened my r32 thre 3 weeks ago , and not even started working on. One of the service dude learned from me: I am the costumer:D

that's how I know him.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I've owned four VWs; three came from West Side and the current one from Burnsville VW.

My WS dealer was Don Jurva; I think he's retired from there now. I'm on the other side of town now, though, so getting to WS for sales and service was becoming a pain.

My Bville dealer is Tammy Anderson; she's the Internet Sales Manager there and the whole transaction sans exchange of money and car took place electronically (it was an '03 Jetta Wagon instead of a '99.5 Jetta sedan; I didn't need a test drive). She was very easy to work with. I've never been back to Bville for service.

Frankly, dealing with Bville was about as simple as it gets. I'd consider them again for another purchase.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
I would say that the people at the Westside service department did well for me when my battery went earlier this year - prom a previous jumpstart I had gotten the security code for the radio from Burnsville VW for free - I just called them from the Westside waiting area, and the also tracked down and fixed an annoying problem with the radio after it was reinserted after that.

Their parts counter also did well for me as well on a water pump issue in 2008 (the water pump that had issues was the replacement pump Deafbug installed as part of a TB job in 2007).

Other things you may want to keep in mind is that for some hard-to-find parts, you will want to get the part number of the failed part, and then give the part number to the parts counter. I had one elbow-type part that was leaking and submitted the part number in an online parts request to what was then Denny Hecker VW - I had the part a few days later.

All in all, a willingness to learn is vital with a TDI.

sennister

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
I happen to have ETOS but it is only good through 06 I think. Not much good for the 2009 Jetta TDI 6 speed MT that I just put money down on. :D

Long story but we test drove 3 vehicles today. One happened to be a Jetta TDI 6 speed manual that showed up on Schmelz's lot this morning after a deal fell through. We quickly tossed down a depaosit to hold the vehicle and are running through the paces of getting the loan and trade worked out.

The one thing about the car is that it has hail damage. It isn't bad but there are some hits on the roof that can be seen. We had the option of letting them do the repair or taking the car with the damage and they would take $1300 off the price. We went with the $1300 off. I figure I can take apart the headliner and take it in somewhere and save on some of the labor. I didn't notice anything on the hood or trunk but the hits (10 maybe) on the roof could be seen easily. Any recomendations on a place to have those dents worked out?

If all goes well by the end of the week I will have a TDI :D

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
sennister said:
Any recomendations on a place to have those dents worked out?
I would recomend this guy any day. It's kinda a drive from the cities, but he does excellent work... Long story short, my car used to be a completely totalled car...

Josh's Autobody
32389 Highway 71http://forums.tdiclub.com/
Browerville, MN 56438-5098
(320) 594-7113

sennister

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
Kriesel said:
I would recomend this guy any day. It's kinda a drive from the cities, but he does excellent work... Long story short, my car used to be a completely totalled car...

Josh's Autobody
32389 Highway 71
Browerville, MN 56438-5098
(320) 594-7113
Thanks for pointing out someone.

sennister

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
We are getting close on the deal. The financing is in line. The first trade has been accepted and I have a wiper motor to replace on my A4 so I can get that down there to be evaluated for trade. Maybe this week or early next and it should be a done deal.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Steve-o said:
I've owned four VWs; three came from West Side and the current one from Burnsville VW.

My WS dealer was Don Jurva; I think he's retired from there now. I'm on the other side of town now, though, so getting to WS for sales and service was becoming a pain.

My Bville dealer is Tammy Anderson; she's the Internet Sales Manager there and the whole transaction sans exchange of money and car took place electronically (it was an '03 Jetta Wagon instead of a '99.5 Jetta sedan; I didn't need a test drive). She was very easy to work with. I've never been back to Bville for service.

Frankly, dealing with Bville was about as simple as it gets. I'd consider them again for another purchase.
i bought one of my TDIs from westside and another through tammy @ burnsville. definitely very good to work with.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Burnsville VW will be moving to a new location on August 24th. They will relocate to the old Saturn Dealership location which is just south of the Burnsville Shopping Mall.

JONZDOG

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA WGN, 2004, SILVER
I just wanted to give a kudos to deafbug on my timing belt change this weekend. This was my 2nd timing belt done for me by Brad. Thanks
Steven

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Just wanted to drop a line and say hi. I live in vadnais heights and I just picked up my first TDi last week. Do you guys have any preference as to which brand of Diesel you buy? Ie. do you like Holiday vs. BP vs Super America?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
isonic said:
Just wanted to drop a line and say hi. I live in vadnais heights and I just picked up my first TDi last week. Do you guys have any preference as to which brand of Diesel you buy? Ie. do you like Holiday vs. BP vs Super America?
Hello and welcome to Fred's! You've come to the right place.

The biggest thing is to go where there is high turnover on diesel...particularly during the cold months so that you are getting the best protection against gelling. Power Service in the white bottle is always a good idea in the winter though.

Beyond that, most fuel is the same. The possible exception being Diesel Gold which comes out of Rosemount. My car seems to like that stuff...but it could just be in my head. Most Fleet Farms have it. Here is a locator link: http://www.premiumdiesel.com/availability/list.aspx?s=MN

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
2009 Fest and other stuff

Was just looking at the names listed as registered for the Fest.
So far I only recognize Vikingrob.
Anyone else around here attending that I missed.
We are flying this year as the whole family wanted to go since it is DC for the end of summer vacation. Try and find a VW to rent, hah. Nobody has diesels even, in any brand for rent in DC although I have seen a few mentions of other places in the US that are offering them now.

Terry, if I have not said it before. Thank You for the Frost kit install. I am looking forward to another winter of not freezing in the morning and quick starts.

Cash for Clunkers I here ends this Monday, trade in you clunker for a new Diesel, if you can even find one.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
isonic said:
Just wanted to drop a line and say hi. I live in vadnais heights and I just picked up my first TDi last week. Do you guys have any preference as to which brand of Diesel you buy?
Let me add my welcome, too, isonic.

I would agree that fresh diesel trumps great diesel that's been sitting for a while. You can always add the stuff that makes "premium" diesel worth the money; it's much more difficult (and expensive) to take out the stuff that's in old diesel.

I fill with Koch Gold (Koch Arctic in winter) at a Fleet Farm near where I work. My favorite alternate location is a small station in the industrial area near I-94/Cleveland (Pro Stop) that moves a lot of diesel because they're surrounded by factories, warehouses, and trucks. There are other more visible stations out there, but I'm pretty sure they don't sell as much diesel as these places.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Hi all, My name's Joey. I live in Chanhassen, MN and am leaving in an hour or so to pick up my first TDI. Well sort of. My GF has an 02 TDI Beetle but this one's for me. I am buying an 03 silver, 4dr, 5sp, TDI Golf with 180k for $1500. I need to replace the Turbo and that is all. Anyway, Hi.
-Joey

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
joey944 said:
Hi all, My name's Joey. I live in Chanhassen, MN and am leaving in an hour or so to pick up my first TDI. Well sort of. My GF has an 02 TDI Beetle but this one's for me. I am buying an 03 silver, 4dr, 5sp, TDI Golf with 180k for $1500. I need to replace the Turbo and that is all. Anyway, Hi.
-Joey
Nice price.

I would suggest that you spend some time in the TDI 101 section and do some searching here before starting the work. Unless the turbo has grenaded or is dumping oil into the intake or exhaust...the car likely doesn't need a new turbo. The problem could be as simple as a couple bucks worth of vacuum line. There are other possibilities as well, some easy and some more involved...all are definitely cheaper than turbo replacement.

If the turbo HAS grenaded or is dumping oil, then you've got a fair amount of work to do beyond just bolting on a new turbo. In that case you would need to clean the intercooler and all plumbing between the turbo and the engine. You would also need to make sure that the cylinders are free of oil before turning the engine over...followed up by a compression test to make sure no rods were bent.

Take some time to get to know the many excellent vendors here, they have any part you need and lots of other good stuff for very fair prices. The dealer is okay for getting some parts, but I would suggest removing them from your vocabulary as much as possible.

www.tdiparts.com
www.boraparts.com
www.metalmanparts.com
www.dieselgeek.com
www.metalnerd.com
www.worldimpex.com
www.1stvwparts.com

I would also STRONGLY suggest meeting up with one of our local TDI mechanics to look over your car and to teach you more about how to fix it and other things to look out for like the timing belt and related components. They may chime in here as well, but you might want to try and contact them to see when they could meet up with you. Remember what I said earlier about removing "dealer" from your vocabulary? The same thing holds true for service. Either learn how to do it yourself, the right way, or have one of these guys do the work. They can do it much better and much cheaper than the dealer.

greengeeker

http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=41071

Deafbug
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=2872

Merkerguitars
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=21605

Have a good one, good luck. :)

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
joey944 said:
-Joey
Lots of turbos are replaced unnecessarily, when the real problem is N75 turbo control valve or a vacuum leak or a bad actuator. Of course, if oil comes out of it like a sieve, then it's probably the turbo and I hope you are towing the Golf home and not driving it.

om4eccv

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hi, this is my first post. I've been lurking here for a while, trying to learn as much as I could, as fast as I could. I'm in Eau Claire, WI, which is 70miles east of MN on I-94.

I've got an '03 Jetta TDI with 177k miles. The timing belt was redone recently, before I purchased it. I've been driving in for 4 months now, put about 12K on it, and love it, but have a few small things that I'd love to get re-assured about. I do have a VAG-COM, if I can get added to the list.

The big problem right now is a nice high-pitched whine/squeal when the turbo kicks in, just above 2k RPM. It also happens on the highway at WOT, when the turbo kicks in. The local import guy here test drove it, and said it wasn't a major problem. No real loss of power. The last time I drove it, I had exhaust fumes coming into the cabin if the blower was on and recirculate wasn't. I'm assuming it's an exhaust leak under the hood, related to the turbo issue. It did seem to be slower to accelerate too.

I'd love to get it looked at this week, (multiple long trips planned for the nest 2 weeks) and I've seen the names merkerguitar, greengeeker, and deafbug show up for MN, and JasonTDI in Madison, WI.

I know deafbug can be contacted at his gmail address, but what about the rest - anybody have a good way to contact them ASAP (email/PM/phone) or know their availability? (Weekdays/nights/Weekends)

Thanks, and hope to meet up with you guys sometime.
Chris

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
TDICADDGUY said:
Nice price.

I would suggest that you spend some time in the TDI 101 section and do some searching here before starting the work. Unless the turbo has grenaded or is dumping oil into the intake or exhaust...the car likely doesn't need a new turbo. The problem could be as simple as a couple bucks worth of vacuum line. There are other possibilities as well, some easy and some more involved...all are definitely cheaper than turbo replacement.

If the turbo HAS grenaded or is dumping oil, then you've got a fair amount of work to do beyond just bolting on a new turbo. In that case you would need to clean the intercooler and all plumbing between the turbo and the engine. You would also need to make sure that the cylinders are free of oil before turning the engine over...followed up by a compression test to make sure no rods were bent.

Take some time to get to know the many excellent vendors here, they have any part you need and lots of other good stuff for very fair prices. The dealer is okay for getting some parts, but I would suggest removing them from your vocabulary as much as possible.

www.tdiparts.com
www.boraparts.com
www.metalmanparts.com
www.dieselgeek.com
www.metalnerd.com
www.worldimpex.com
www.1stvwparts.com

I would also STRONGLY suggest meeting up with one of our local TDI mechanics to look over your car and to teach you more about how to fix it and other things to look out for like the timing belt and related components. They may chime in here as well, but you might want to try and contact them to see when they could meet up with you. Remember what I said earlier about removing "dealer" from your vocabulary? The same thing holds true for service. Either learn how to do it yourself, the right way, or have one of these guys do the work. They can do it much better and much cheaper than the dealer.

greengeeker

http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=41071

Deafbug
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=2872

Merkerguitars
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=21605

Have a good one, good luck. :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate allthe advise. I am happy to report that she has good compression and doesn't seem to have any mechanical issues besides the turbi. It is dumping oil in the exhaust and intake etc... She is in the garage and will need some loving care. I have done turbo swaps before just not on this particular car. I plan on doing much research and reading before I start. I am and have been a Porsche Nut so Naturally I have a soft spot for VW. I am stoked to finally have one to call my own. Not to toot my own horn, but I have done everything myself most my life and am a pretty capable mechanic. I think this job will be fun as I can't wait to drive my TDI.
I was thinking of doing a Cartrige on the turbo. Thoughts? I also plan on using an install kit. New gaskets/bolts etc... Besides cleaning out all the plumbing, is there anything else you suggest? ie: oil line(s) ????
Thanks again guys.
-Joey

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
joey944 said:
Thanks guys, I appreciate allthe advise. I am happy to report that she has good compression and doesn't seem to have any mechanical issues besides the turbi. It is dumping oil in the exhaust and intake etc... She is in the garage and will need some loving care. I have done turbo swaps before just not on this particular car. I plan on doing much research and reading before I start. I am and have been a Porsche Nut so Naturally I have a soft spot for VW. I am stoked to finally have one to call my own. Not to toot my own horn, but I have done everything myself most my life and am a pretty capable mechanic. I think this job will be fun as I can't wait to drive my TDI.
I was thinking of doing a Cartrige on the turbo. Thoughts? I also plan on using an install kit. New gaskets/bolts etc... Besides cleaning out all the plumbing, is there anything else you suggest? ie: oil line(s) ????
Thanks again guys.
-Joey
Do not go the cartridge route. All the cartridges I've seen out there are Chinesium crap. www.tdiparts.com has excellent prices on stock and bigger turbos. Stock is the VNT 15, VNT 17 and VNT 17/22 hybrid are nice upgrades. I would replace the oil line, also available at TDIparts...it can be hard to get the old one off sometimes without damaging the oil line.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
om4eccv said:
The big problem right now is a nice high-pitched whine/squeal when the turbo kicks in, just above 2k RPM. It also happens on the highway at WOT, when the turbo kicks in. The local import guy here test drove it, and said it wasn't a major problem. No real loss of power. The last time I drove it, I had exhaust fumes coming into the cabin if the blower was on and recirculate wasn't. I'm assuming it's an exhaust leak under the hood, related to the turbo issue. It did seem to be slower to accelerate too.

I'd love to get it looked at this week, (multiple long trips planned for the nest 2 weeks) and I've seen the names merkerguitar, greengeeker, and deafbug show up for MN, and JasonTDI in Madison, WI.

I know deafbug can be contacted at his gmail address, but what about the rest - anybody have a good way to contact them ASAP (email/PM/phone) or know their availability? (Weekdays/nights/Weekends)

Thanks, and hope to meet up with you guys sometime.
Chris
Take a look at your EGR cooler pipes that run between the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve. The flex portion up by the EGR valve will often break and cause the sounds you describe. If you want to keep the EGR functioning and in place, I do have my old parts here (I disabled the EGR and removed them) if you'd like them.

Eric (merkerguitars) would probably be your best bet since he is in Hudson. Send him (or Nick - greengeeker) a PM on here since they are fairly active here. JasonTDI is also an excellent mechanic if you want to make the drive. www.jasontdi.com

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
jeff's got you guys taken care of. I guess for both of you I would suggest keeping an eye on the classifieds here for some good deals on both used turbos and EGR flex pipes which are typically removed (like tdicaddguy) for modding purposes. DO your research though...look up past posts by the seller for threads or posts asking about exhaust leaks or turbo issues. Geez, can you tell I've been ripped off a few times in the last month by tdiclub members, some of which were vendors? :rolleyes: :mad:

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
greengeeker said:
Geez, can you tell I've been ripped off a few times in the last month by tdiclub members, some of which were vendors? :rolleyes: :mad:
That really sucks...any luck with getting stuff resolved? Was there more stuff you had problems with besides the 5th gear issue? PM me if you want.

It definitely does pay to look at previous posts of sellers. One of my favorites was the injection pump a guy was selling. It sounded fishy from the start, then I went back and looked at his posts and he had done some WVO experimentation. Did he think we wouldn't figure it out?

The EGR flexpipe I have didn't leak when I took it off...but I'd be glad to refund money if someone bought it and it ended up leaking.

I hate scammers...