MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). Glow Bug TDI (sold)
because it's just who I am
I'd be so much money ahead if I entertained myself with videogames and lived in the cities in some rental arrangement right next to work
but what you earn you've gotta spend, and they tax you several times along the way, so... Much more interesting to spend an hour cleaning up a 30 dollar MLS gasket for reuse than spending the hour and a half at work it'd take to buy one after shipping and such. Besides, I wanna be driving tomorrow and not in a week.

the black silicone topcoat wire wheels off really easy and leaves nice shiny stainless
the zinc cold-galvanizing paint that I used to seal it up last time does not come off nearly as easily, means it's strong haha
Ok lol. I find that interesting.

You remind me of all the cool elderly folk who made stuff themselves from stuff they had on the farm. If a part broke you made a copy or found/made something that would work instead. Growing up in the depression era they learned to do with what they had so theres a lot of pretty interesting home engineering out there.

So are you honing and re-ringing that piston then or swapping in a new one?

Also curious to see what the inside looks like once its opened up since youve been running your fuel for quite a while now

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Piston's destroyed, just dumping in one from the stash complete with "worn in" rings, bore was okay looking so it doesn't even get a hone.
getting real low on 1/2 pistons, got a bunch of 3/4 ones. Might look into recutting the valve relief on one of the 3/4s if I end up needing another 1/2

I don't have pictures off my phone yet from this time, but I got some combustion chamber pics from the last time it ate a valve
I'll make a thread over in the alternative fuels section, because others will find it interesting

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I have a couple 1/2 pistons in a shortblock coming out of a car now. Rods are pre-bent and the pistons all have melted combustion lips.
Heh, I haven't run into one with actual melting going on, even with my tendency to totally dismiss the pyrometer reading.

Seems just about every ALH I take apart has the witness marks of bent rods on #2 and #3, both in the wear on the rod bearings and the coating on the piston skirts, even if they were seemingly running just peachy before tearing them down for parts.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Heh, I haven't run into one with actual melting going on, even with my tendency to totally dismiss the pyrometer reading.

Seems just about every ALH I take apart has the witness marks of bent rods on #2 and #3, both in the wear on the rod bearings and the coating on the piston skirts, even if they were seemingly running just peachy before tearing them down for parts.
Seems everyone finds bent #2 and #3 rods. Weather they are actually bent or not no clue, but also a range of reasoning. seems everyone has different ideas of why. More air flow because of intake design. People who load the cars with boost while the rpms are low (under 2k they say) aka wot under 2k. And a few more.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Seems everyone finds bent #2 and #3 rods. Weather they are actually bent or not no clue, but also a range of reasoning. seems everyone has different ideas of why. More air flow because of intake design. People who load the cars with boost while the rpms are low (under 2k they say) aka wot under 2k. And a few more.
my idea has to do with the crankcase oil building up in the intercooler alongside the intake manifold coking

clean out the intake and suddenly you've got enough airflow to suck through the big slug of oil that'd been happily burbling along in the intercooler
little bit of "hydrolock at speed"

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
my idea has to do with the crankcase oil building up in the intercooler alongside the intake manifold coking due to low velocities through the intercooler

clean out the intake and suddenly you've got enough airflow to suck through the big slug of oil that'd been happily burbling along in the intercooler
little bit of "hydrolock at speed"
Fixed. Causes range from a clogged intake, to non-functioning boost control or just simply babying your otherwise perfectly functioning car 100% of the time.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Both my cars when I did the egr delete and cleaned the intake I drained the SMIC for this reason. Of course there was nothing in there due to my driving styles. I also drained them when I first got them because of not knowing how they were driven previously. I bought them from elderly gentlemen so assumedly they drove them nicely-ish.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Fixed. Causes range from a clogged intake, to non-functioning boost control or just simply babying your otherwise perfectly functioning car 100% of the time.
heh
yeah I suppose that's a more appropriate diag, fits many more cases rather than just one...

had a saab in with the LPT 2.3 motor, you know the ones with the garrett gt1752s turbo on them, it's got the same neckdown turbine shaft as a lotta GT17 stuff did

well they must have never actually drove it at freeway speed because when I test drove the thing after fixing about a thousand dollars in stupid oil leaks, it snapped the turbine shaft
taking it apart to diag why it suddenly became a smoke machine and I noticed the wastegate actuator was rusted solid to the arm
it made "all the boost" for a second or two

maxmose

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey Maxmose,

Read up on the door micro switch. Known problem with these cars. Luckily mine failed in the door closed position. And has been that way for 300,000 miles. But it will relock the car if I don't put the key in the ignition in 20 seconds.

Spam
thanks! Turned out to be a bad starter. Really weird how the first time it failed coincided with me setting off the alarm like that 🤷🏻‍♂️ I guess that’s just how it goes sometimes. I swapped out the starter at home this weekend and it’s cranking up with ease!

While I was under there I noticed a fair amount of oil or something else leaking on the outside of the transmission, so I may be taking it into the shop after all. Any recommendations in the metro area would be great.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats odd, but im glad it worked out for you!

What side of the trans? Does it seem to be coming from the trans or leaking down from the oil filter/pump housing area? You will know if its motor oil if you touch it lol.