MN Chat Thread

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If you Edit your Options, you can view 100 posts per page, in which case this is only page 61.

If you have a really slow connection, you might not want to do this.

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Went on a trip to Salt Lake to go skiing, and then to Moab (rented a jeep this year), for a week. We drove the Jetta out there and back though. I got a roof rack from CuriousChris (THANKS!!), and borrowed a Thule roof box from a friend. With the roof rack and box on top of the car, I got horrible mileage... I averaged 35.5 mpg over 7 tanks of fuel, with a worst tank of 32.2 mpg, and a high of 38.8 mpg. I'll put up some jeeping pics tomorrow probably.

I think a stage 2 tune is in my near future...

Last edited:

Kriesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
5 over the speed limit in most areas (speed limit is 75)

Roughly calculating, I averaged 72 MPH traveling to Utah and back...

Johnny Canola

TDI
03 Jetta Wagen TDI
Timing belt, waterpump mechanic??

I am looker to buy a 98 Jetta TDI with 180,xxx miles on it and would like the timing belt/ water pump done if I buy it just to secure it. Who is the most reasonable, best mechanic on here??? I haven't been on here for along time since my last 00 Golf TDI which a guy named Chris helped me on alot and I lost his number. Thanks TDI'ers!!!

Last edited:

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
I am looker to buy a 98 Jetta TDI with 180,xxx miles on it and would like the timing belt/ water pump done if I buy it just to secure it. Who is the most reasonable, best mechanic on here??? I haven't been on here for along time since my last 00 Golf TDI which a guy named Chris helped me on alot and I lost his number. Thanks TDI'ers!!!
If you're referring to CuriousChris he recently moved out of state. Contact "greengeeker" or "deafbug" for assistance with the TB job. Good luck!

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Hush now, don't be a tease GG.

Moab is very pretty, though my weekend includes Cleveland, and maybe DC.

Last edited:

Johnny Canola

TDI
03 Jetta Wagen TDI
Thanks Namakan, deafbug cannot receive private messages and I sent one to greengeeker and no response yet. 612-221-6874 John, if that makes it easier for them.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Look through the posts i think db has his email somewhere amongst the 6000.

sy552

TDI
15 Passat SEL , 15 Jetta SEL
Anyone local have a spare set of ALH injectors I could briefly use as a test. I am pretty sure a lack of power issue I have is tied to my injectors, but want to verify. Everything else checks out. I just had them cleaned and balanced and think something may not be right.

Update: Borrowed a set and that was the problem.

Last edited:

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Look through the posts i think db has his email somewhere amongst the 6000.
A lot! :cool: I did a search to find this post While searching, I see that many other young users says such thing about me and many older users say that I am still "alive"

Quick status: I have until May 15th to finish the basement. But I need funds to help complete the project. Waiting on the tax refund, even though it is not enough. I also got in another car accident. Thanks, Mom! My back injuries got re-irritated. Once the basement is done, I need to make a number of furniture for our house. Most of them come from Ana White, quick and easy while still looks good.

Brad

blzzrd

TDI
01 Jetta GLS
transmission jack?

It's clutch time! Anybody have a transmission jack with the adaptor pins for an 02j for rent/loan? Last time I used an engine hoist, which wasn't a lot of fun. I'd be looking for a weekend in the next 6 weeks or so. I'm in Dayton, commute to St Paul, but am willing to drive about anywhere.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
This past weekend I was going to rotate my tires -- from the Altimax Arctics to the all-season Michelins. I got busy with other stuff and put it off until Monday morning.

Monday evening I heard about the winter storm warning. Now they're predicting up to 14" of snow for a wide swathe across central Minnesota and Wisconsin including the Twin Cities metro area.

I guess I'll find out how those all-season tires work in wet slushy snow.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
This is probably some of the nastier stuff that I have driven in all winter. Sliding down banked curves...

socks

TDI
Blue Graphite 2006 Jetta 5sp, 0 pkg
This past weekend I was going to rotate my tires -- from the Altimax Arctics to the all-season Michelins. I got busy with other stuff and put it off until Monday morning.

Monday evening I heard about the winter storm warning. Now they're predicting up to 14" of snow for a wide swathe across central Minnesota and Wisconsin including the Twin Cities metro area.

I guess I'll find out how those all-season tires work in wet slushy snow.
While I'm not happy that taxes took most of last weekend:mad:, it did prevent me from changing out my snows. I don't think I've waited to change out snows this late before...

1st_TDI:)

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Rotated from the Altimax Arctics to spring all season on Saturday when I changed my brake fluid.
Snow is snow regardless there are just some drivers that should not be on the road. found one this morning doing 30mph in a 60. Make my day and have them stay off the road until after sunrise please.

Worse on Thursday; person was going 10 -15 mph in the 60 in both East bound lanes at the same time...
Please bring the sun and melt the snow so I do not have to enjoy the company of these fools any more.

Last edited:

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The Altimax Arctics are still on my JSW (and on my wife's car). My replacements are pure summer tires (Ecopia E100). I was on them during our fall freak thunderstorm before I got the Arctics. :eek: Very good tires but less than worthless in snow and ice.

Later this month I bring my car to Burnsville VW for the fender-rust TSB and corrosion on the driver's A-pillar. No drama. I brought the car in last week (on a driveby), they took pictures and filled out their form, and a few days later I got the call that it's all covered. Including, apparently, a loaner. I don't know if that's because I bought the car there or because it's a warranty repair, but I'll take it. I suggested maybe a nice CC or something for the loaner, but the advisor laughed a little and said the rental will come out of their Luther fleet. Whatever. It'll be nice to have wheels that week. I'll post the outcome.

Last edited:

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
Surface rust on front fenders

Later this month I bring my car to Burnsville VW for the fender-rust TSB and corrosion on the driver's A-pillar. No drama. I brought the car in last week (on a driveby), they took pictures and filled out their form, and a few days later I got the call that it's all covered. Including, apparently, a loaner. I don't know if that's because I bought the car there or because it's a warranty repair, but I'll take it. I suggested maybe a nice CC or something for the loaner, but the advisor laughed a little and said the rental will come out of their Luther fleet. Whatever. It'll be nice to have wheels that week. I'll post the outcome.
I have heard of this warranty work for front fender rust, but when I ask about it the dealer just looks at me funny and avoids the subject.
Is it real and if so how can I get the dealer to honor the warranty?

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have heard of this warranty work for front fender rust, but when I ask about it the dealer just looks at me funny and avoids the subject.
If your TDI is a 2000 model, then the 12-year anti-corrosion warranty has expired.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Take a look at my photo albums. I posted a copy of the tsb there.

TDI
2000 Jetta Forest Green
You had it right on with the 10 year coverage. I talked with the stealership service representative that I purchased the car from. I thanked him for his time and thanked the sales person that I purchased the car from four years ago for being so forth coming with the information regarding the service bulletin when I purchased the car. I would gladly warn off anyone from buying a car from a dealer or having one serviced at a stealer.

Last edited:

Mitral

TDI
2013 SportWagen TDI
This will be redundant for many but since 5/01/2013 is right around the corner it's worthy of repeating.

From the Alternative Fuels Data Center

http://www.afdc.energy.gov

Biodiesel Blend Mandate
Diesel fuel sold or offered for sale in the state for use in internal combustion engines must contain at least 5% biodiesel (B5). In November of 2011, the commissioners of the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, Department of Commerce, and Pollution Control Agency recommended that implementation of the B10 mandate, originally set to begin May 1, 2012, be delayed one year because certain statutory conditions required for the blend increase had not been met completely. Therefore, beginning May 1, 2013, during the months of April through September, diesel fuel will have to contain at least 10% biodiesel (B10). Diesel fuel sold during the remainder of the year will have to be B5.