MN Chat Thread

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I'd love to drive up to your place Jon, but it's a freaking hike.

Anyone local-ish to Chaska with a VCDS I can take a quick log with?
Compared to Jon I am local as I am in Hopkins right off of 169 and Excelsior and I have VCDS Hex-Can and can do a scan for you.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
That is a really good price -- they wii go fast to someone who wants to mount some winter tires.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I would love to learn vds pro but would prefer to learn from a seasoned user instead of going it on my own. I always thought the wagon hatch lock was just stupid.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I hope all the fuel stations are selling properly winterized diesel -- it's going to be cold the next few days.

The only PS I have is the summer Diesel Kleen; I thought I had some Diesel 911 for emergences but it's not where I thought it was.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
We had a cold front roll through here friday evening and our high temp yesterday was around 70, low near 55.

I will have to do some adjusting to get used to Minnesota weather again.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
With the colder weather, I had to turn the seat all the way to 3! I also put my winter front on.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Busy weekend.
With the colder weather, I had to turn the seat all the way to 3! I also put my winter front on.
Twas a busy weekend. Desludged a 1.8T only to find the owners had driven too long without oil pressure and now it needs a turbo. Swapped over the winter tires on the Eurovan along with an oil change and inner/outer tie rods. Jetta got the winter tires, radiator block and winter front....seat heater set to 5 to sooth my back this morning. :eek:

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
I hope all the fuel stations are selling properly winterized diesel -- it's going to be cold the next few days.
With all the driving you do I wouldn't worry about it. Does your car even shut off?

I am on tank 6 for the month, probably two more to go before it is over. Not too worried about getting up to date fuel.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With all the driving you do I wouldn't worry about it. Does your car even shut off?
With all the driving I must do, I have to be concerned about winterized fuel. If my car doesn't start, it costs me money. I got a bad tank last winter, from a usually reliable source -- I intend to be more diligent this winter.

prabbit

TDI
2012 Golf
I noticed my fuel economy took a hit around mid-to-late October. That's likely when my regular station switched to winterized fuel.

Pincushn

TDI
2005.5 Jetta, 2007 Touareg
Hello Everyone, I am in need of a good recommendation for a tdi mechanic, or at least someone whom can check out my jetta.
Historically I have done all my maintenance including suspension, brakes, filters, glow plugs & harness replacement, master/slave clutch cylinders, etc...
My clutch finally went out at 120k miles @ a stop sign luckily only 3 blocks from home. This is when the fun began, I was able to ease/force the vehicle into gear w/o the clutch to get it home and subsequently to a shop 2 miles from home. I ordered a Silent Design SBC Stage 2 Endurance that the shop installed for me. Now that I have it back it drives great with the new clutch.
My problem though is that there is still a vibrating noise unless the clutch is pressed or in gear. More recently I've started having another vibrating noise at highway speeds. The vehicle can be both in and out of gear, and I even shut down the engine with the noise continuing. Last, I have a slight oil leak that I did not have before the clutch originally went out.
I haven't a clue of where I can take the vehicle to get her looked at and I don't have any faith in the standard mechanic down the street. I've parked it for now in fear that further driving may be bad. I'm willing to pay what is necessary at this point, but want someone with extensive tdi experience so we can resolve this and I can get it back on the road. I'm in S. Mpls but willing to take it wherever.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Hello Everyone, I am in need of a good recommendation for a tdi mechanic, or at least someone whom can check out my jetta.
Historically I have done all my maintenance including suspension, brakes, filters, glow plugs & harness replacement, master/slave clutch cylinders, etc...
My clutch finally went out at 120k miles @ a stop sign luckily only 3 blocks from home. This is when the fun began, I was able to ease/force the vehicle into gear w/o the clutch to get it home and subsequently to a shop 2 miles from home. I ordered a Silent Design SBC Stage 2 Endurance that the shop installed for me. Now that I have it back it drives great with the new clutch.
My problem though is that there is still a vibrating noise unless the clutch is pressed or in gear. More recently I've started having another vibrating noise at highway speeds. The vehicle can be both in and out of gear, and I even shut down the engine with the noise continuing. Last, I have a slight oil leak that I did not have before the clutch originally went out.
I haven't a clue of where I can take the vehicle to get her looked at and I don't have any faith in the standard mechanic down the street. I've parked it for now in fear that further driving may be bad. I'm willing to pay what is necessary at this point, but want someone with extensive tdi experience so we can resolve this and I can get it back on the road. I'm in S. Mpls but willing to take it wherever.

Get a hold of Nick greengeeker, he is a mn tdi guru.

mimalmo

TDI
2013 JSW 6MT
OP lives in South Minneapolis and would pass several qualified VW repair shops on his way to Cambridge. That's why I posted the link to SCI's website.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm willing to pay what is necessary at this point, but want someone with extensive tdi experience so we can resolve this and I can get it back on the road. I'm in S. Mpls but willing to take it wherever.
It sounds like you need a very good VW mechanic, not necessarily a TDI guru.

I second the recommendation of South Central Imports, East 37th Street between Hiawatha and Minnehaha. I was steered toward them earlier this year, and they did a great job of bringing the overdue maintenance up to date, then fixed a major transmission problem.

Chad is very knowledgeable about VW's (and Audis). He's even authored a book: http://www.amazon.com/Water-Cooled-VW-Performance-Handbook-Motorbooks/dp/0760337667 What he doesn't know, his sidekick Paul does.

https://www.facebook.com/SCIperformance

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
My problem though is that there is still a vibrating noise unless the clutch is pressed or in gear.
Single Mass Flywheel will vibrate or "chatter" more than your original Dual mass flywheel did. I also have the SBC Stg II Endurence.

More recently I've started having another vibrating noise at highway speeds. The vehicle can be both in and out of gear, and I even shut down the engine with the noise continuing.
Is there any certain speed range that this happens at? Can you speed up and get past the vibration? You may have lost a wheel weight, or have a CV axel in need of repair. I am assuming that when you shut the vehicle off at speed you also have the clutch depressed or the transmission in neutral?

Last, I have a slight oil leak that I did not have before the clutch originally went out.
Any ideas which side of the engine the oil is coming from? Sounds like this is something that Chad could help you with. With that said, you can't go wrong with Nick (greengeeker).

Redrockjk

TDI
02 jetta
Hello, new to this forum and kinda new to TDIs.....planning on doing a 5 spd swap on my 02 jetta auto

I have my donor 99.5 5 spd car and I'm ready to pull the plug and get this swap done.....

Question.....the electrical connectors have diff styles between 99.5 and 02......I see that the 99.5 jetta has older style spring clip connectors vs my 02 jetta has the newer style connectors that just have the plastic release on them.....I'm wondering what if any issues that might give me??

Hopefully someone knows soon as I'm tearing the 5 spd car apart today

Btw I will have a lot of extra jetta parts for sale too

Thanks
D

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Yes, the connectors are different but that doesn't matter as all the parts they plug into you'll be removing from the 99 and installing on the 02. Make sure to get as much of the clutch sensor pigtails as you can.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Drywall Movers Needed

We are finishing the basement and I hope that the weather is good that day. On Saturday, Dec 15th I need strong men to help me move all the sheetrock from the driveway/garage to the basement. I have two sheerock carry tool. I haven't order the sheetrock so I don't know how many but I do know that it is a lot! There are 4 rooms in the basement plus the hallway.

If you can help and up for the challenge, please email me at deafbug at gmail dot com. I can give you my address in Blaine. The more people I have the easier it will be. The challenge is that the stairs a U turn type not straight. The drywall sheets will be 4x8. If you have drywall tools that I can borrow, let me know. I have some already so email me first if I need it

Remember that I fracture my L1 vertabrate and I am not allow to stress out my back. So your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you.