MN Chat Thread

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
rabbit made it 1800 mi to duluth then bemidji with only a couple glitches.. popped off a boost hose a couple times. fixed for now, but i really need to get some custom pipes made. was a good stress test for the rabbit.. i sped just a lil bit ;)

rear strut bushings also gave out at the end of the drive. they weren't very old, poly, but were pretty squished already so the struts were really banging around. lot of rough roads in this country. fixed them for now with some $.99 thick rubber washers from menards :)

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
VW dealership techs are having enough trouble trying to figure out how to work on a single TDI engine model (two actually, 2.0-liter and 3.0-liter). It is too much to expect them to learn about other 3-, 4-, 5-, and 6-cylinder engines.

In fact, the dealer techs don't really understand gasoline engines either.
The problem is that they are ASE certified. :D

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Timing belt/water pump time! I hate to ask because i feel I have gotten more than I've given. I hope some of ya would like to GTG at my place again. This time I plan to do the T-Belt etc on the Jetta Wagon. I have the parts, I'll get some beer maybe pizza. I just need a cpl hands and some timing tools. Any takers? Also I can be here most days so whatever works best I can plan. Thanks again in advance!!! ha ha get it advance? (timing humor) I know it's retarded.... oh snap There I go again. OK I'm done.

I am technically available a lot of the times. If you want to do the labor yourself, I can be the tool guy. The job will be done in 3 hours. I have done it before and it goes fast. Since I know what tools you need for the next step and I can it ready to hand it to you. (like a dentist assistant)

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
i'm in long lake now until next sat or sun. just picked up an HF engine support from farmboy - thanks tom! if the weather is good, hopefully do my dads bew timing belt/camshaft tomorrow, else looks like monday the weather is supposed to be good.

while i'm here, i might take my fenders off and get them 100% rust-proofed and sound-deadened. also the underside of the hood cleaned up + primed/painted. went to menards.. i'm thinking of adhesive w/asphalt roof shingles that i found in my parents dumpster, then slathering with black fibered roofing coating. i'm tired of spending a fortune on the rustoleum/etc underbody rubbercoat stuff. i can't see why this stuff wouldn't do the job, and it's $10/gallon compared to $25/quart. going to give this a shot on the fenders, which i already got most of it undercoated, but i never actually took them off to get in all the nooks and crannies...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I got some underbody coating from Fleet Farm that was much cheaper in a rattle can. I sprayed the insides of my fenders on my Passat. They now make more of a thunk than a dink
I have no idea if its really quieting it down or not.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
2 Questions.....

1) How does the first sat in June look for T-Belt GTG? (Sat June 2nd) Say Noon or 1pm after Cars n Coffee?

2) My Father in Law is looking at a 140k mi. 2005 Passat GLS TDI for $8900. What should we be looking for and asking about before buying?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
weather is gorgeous.. just about to start my dads BEW timing belt + camshaft replacement job.. if anyone's bored, come over :) just shoot me a pm. rabbit isn't running at the moment, as i took the fenders + hood off to do some painting/undercoating, but hopefully it will dry and be ready to put back together later this evening.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
SAI Delete indeed. More deletes to come.

Can you believe I did all of that in my work clothes without getting anything other than my hands dirty?

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
SAI Delete indeed. More deletes to come.

Can you believe I did all of that in my work clothes without getting anything other than my hands dirty?
Nice, I do that all the time. :D That's what I love about doing TB on VW/Audi's can do them in suit or dress clothes with withe shirt and won't get dirty. :) BTW why did you had remove whole front end? could have just moved into service position.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Its getting more than just a timing job. I like to get a good look at every seal and its easier to reach around to the back of the motor to do the cam chain tensioner and other misc.
It takes a lot less time in my opinion to remove the front end than work around the lock carrier. It has green coolant in it too so I'm draining all of that too.

This gasser sounds like a high idling *sick* TDI at hot idle :D

Last edited:

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
Any thoughts on the 05 Passat GLS TDI? 140k $8900. (my Father in law wants to buy it)

Also, Is anyone avail. June 2nd in the afternoon to help with the Jetta wagon T-belt/water pump?

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Joey, 8900 in good condition is probably a decent price, better if it's a wagon.

Check torque converter lockup in 2nd and 3rd gear, if it's slipping a lot, it's the beginning of the end and those are, I believe ~800 after core, there are upgraded ones available.

Definitely pull the valve cover and check out the cam and lifters. Chances are it's marginal. PDs require specific 5w40 oil. If you replace, Frank06 makes modifications to improve oiling.

Listen for chain noise in the engine. It most likely needs a BSM swap or delete. The louder the chain noise is, the sooner it needs to be done. If you can't hear the engine over the noise with your head below the license plate, the tensioner has probably failed already. The delete is $750 with bora's kit. A complete BSM gear drive is going to run you ~$1400, but rumor has it they aren't in stock anywhere right now.

Oh, and check the CV boots. Metalmanparts.com has the outer joint kits and boots.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If you live in an area with cottonwood trees, you might consider changing out your cabin air filter -- it could be clogged with that puffy "cotton" which carry tiny seeds on the wind.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
well on the way home, near syracuse, ny... somehow my fuel tank partially imploded, and then my clutch cable broke soon after. lol. managed to make it home bump starting in 1st using the starter and speed-shifting :D need a new fuel tank now though, it's all loose and warped. ughhhh ***!

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Over the weekend I took a trip up to Buhl, Mn. I loaded three others in the car with all their stuff, hooked up the 8' Aluminum trailer with my ATV on it and headed the 200 miles north. With the cruse set at 71 (indicated) I did 403 miles on 12.55 gal round trip. On the way home I fought a strong head wind. The EGT were about 900-950 sustained and the turbo was running about 8psi to maintain speed. When passing I could hit 1400 degrees EGT during a longer pull. Over all I can't complain about the mileage considering the weight.

Emtfireboy76

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI/ 03 2500HD Duramax
Cant Thank Jfettig enough! Wife loves the extra pull said she cant belive it was so slow before! It was a awsome experiance your a hell of a nice guy thankls again! I will keep you all up to date on the milage with the new tune!

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm glad you guys are enjoying it! Don't keep track of the first tank or two, you might be enjoying the extra power too much to get an accurate reading ;)

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
I'm still enjoying mine that much after a year and more. I've only had two really good tanks since. But since it's diesel, that means I'm "only" getting 44mpg.

Ironically, my CB1000c only gets 37-39.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
Can anyone make it Sat (after cars n coffee) to help with the T-Belt on my Wife's Jetta?
I have tools. Just need VCDS and assistance. Will get Pizza. maybe beer.

Namakan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 2011 JSW (gone), 2004 Jetta (gone)
Can anyone make it Sat (after cars n coffee) to help with the T-Belt on my Wife's Jetta?
Wish I could make it but we have friends in town to entertain. I would however like to get my Golf detailed and have the headlights restored. How does your schedule look over the next few weeks?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I had some bad luck and some good luck today.

The bad luck was that something went seriously wrong with the Golf's differential or the gearbox. There was a lot of gearbox oil under the hood and under the engine, and some pieces of aluminum lying on top of the DG Panzer skid plate.

The good luck was that it happened just a few miles from Chad's shop, South Central Imports in south Minneapolis-- and on a side street and not I-94 during rush hour which I'd just pulled off of. Additionally, I was making a delivery and my car died across the street from the delivery address. Additionally, I signed up for AAA about six months ago, so the tow didn't cost me a cent. Additionally, it was just a short walk and then a short bus trip for me to get home. And finally, Chad was still there when the car was dropped off, and said he might have a spare TDI manual transmission, or at least a TDI 5th gear.

There are a few other things that I can get done at this time; for instance, Jon told me a few months ago that my CV boots were nearly kaput, but the inner ones in particular require removing a lot of parts to gain access. I think it makes sense to replace the boots and check the CV joints now.

There wasn't much warning before this failure, whatever it turns out to be. A few miles previously it felt like my tranny had slipped out of gear, which was not the case. Then in the last block or two, there were several major "thuds", so I was looking for a place to pull over and investigate. I just managed to pull over in front of my destination.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
1:00 pm? We are thinking of cruising over and I have VCDS Hex-Com.

Of course I like Snake Dog Flying Dog IPA so I will bring my own beer. Let me know if you want us to bring anything else. PM will do.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
Wish I could make it but we have friends in town to entertain. I would however like to get my Golf detailed and have the headlights restored. How does your schedule look over the next few weeks?
I have openings next week but filling up. following week looks good.

@ Curious Chris........ Great! Thanks! 1pm should work fine.