MN Chat Thread

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
prsa01: you would have to check to see if they are the same or not, as I don't know, but I do have both front spindles out of my car that I could sell you. I have an 03 5spd.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Thanks guys,

Greengeeker,

I am assuming that Isonic's B5 spindles would be different. Do you know or know ho I could find out?

What would you charge to do the spindle swap? I know I am going to be up in your area next Sat & Sun.

Thanks

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Greengeeker,

I am assuming that Isonic's B5 spindles would be different. Do you know or know ho I could find out?
No, the b5 spindles are completely different.

You can pull from either of the B3 and B4 passats redlabel so kindly looked up so long as they are 4cyl engines. VR6 passats will have different spindles from your tdi.

My next service weekend is May 26th & 27th. If it can wait until then I'd happily help you with the change out.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Thanks Nick, I needed it done sooner.

Does anybody have good experience or know of someone with a good rep for alignments? Mine is a b4v

Thaks

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Wow 24 hours and no lost coolant. It has been a long time since I have not lost any coolant. I am suspecting now that while I blamed the relocation of my coolant heater, it probably was the head to heater core (use to be head to egr cooler) hose that has been slowly been eroded by contact with the brake line.

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Whos got a good working stock 01 alh turbo? maybe something slightly upgraded?

Or trade + cash?
the ecu wants to pull fuel on mine due to the vnt vane thing not reacting fast enough. i dont wanna mess around with fixing. swap and go! :)

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Who ever it is loves the fact that they have a TDI. I have never understood the patena on a modern car, but to each their own.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Anyone know where to set the vane actuator stop screw on a vnt15? Mine was loose when I reinstalled my turbo. I set it a bit on the conservative side (just to be safe) and now I'm only making 8-10psi and my car is a total TURD!!!! I also need to check timing on both of my tdi's so anyone nearby ish with VCDS, I would greatly appreciate a hand. Thanks.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
set screw is 2.5mm, locking nut is 8mm.
Set my stop so that at 19.5" of vacuum applied to the VNT actuator the VNT arm hits the stop.

Some opinions on adjustment vary from 18" to 21"

I have adjusted mine to 19.5" and will be running logs tomorrow so I am not sure yet.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone know where to set the vane actuator stop screw on a vnt15? Mine was loose when I reinstalled my turbo. I set it a bit on the conservative side (just to be safe) and now I'm only making 8-10psi and my car is a total TURD!!!! I also need to check timing on both of my tdi's so anyone nearby ish with VCDS, I would greatly appreciate a hand. Thanks.
You have a PM. I live pretty close to you. I have both VCDS and a MityVac to set the actuator.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Perfectly working actuator with oem set screw reads out with vacuum pump, like this about 5-7 inch vacuum rod starts moving once hits stop screw reading should be 18-20 inches depending how big of stroke you pumped before stoped pulling vacuum once rod stopped. So starts moving at 5 inch and stops at 19 or 21 would be perfect setting, rest you can dial in bit more fine tuned with reading boost actual vs. requested via VCDS.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Yes, all these are true, but it matters very little once you've tampered with the stop screw.

The stop screw needs to be set on a flow bench, or at least with an EMP gauge.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, all these are true, but it matters very little once you've tampered with the stop screw.

The stop screw needs to be set on a flow bench, or at least with an EMP gauge.
I agree with you here. As the start of movement and achieving full movement vacuum is only a measure of how smoothly the actuator can move the linkage. Setting the initial is better on flow bench or an EMP gauge, but lacking that you can move it a little, log the data, move it a little more (oh crap burn't my fingers), until you get there.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
I guess I misread his info, didn't read that he had stop screw loose for whatever reason it was. You don't come across this very often where stop screw is loose so I never paid close attentioned to you. I was just thinking about actuator rod adjustment nut.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Chris, you can easily blow a turbo real quick with improper stop screw adjustments. Get those exhaust manifold pressures up over 30psi and you're probably saying goodbye to a little VNT15.

Joey, if you want to do it right, go get about 3' of 1/8-3/16" copper tube, a compression fitting, drill and tap the EGR block off plate on the exhaust manifold and hook it up to your boost gauge.

Take the copper tubing, coil it around a soup can, hook one end up to the compression fitting in the exhaust manifold, the other up to the line that goes to the boost gauge.

Get a plug for the size hole you tapped into the EGR block off plate.

Your EMP shouldn't spike above 2:1 IMP(boost) and it shouldn't sustain much more than 1:1.

If I was to do this right now, I'd back the stop screw all the way off such that the vanes close completely, then screw it in to touch the lever, then in another 3-5 turns and use that as a starting point. This is if I wasn't to set this up without the turbine housing off of it.

I have not personally done this myself but from what I read and have discussed with people who do, it is the best of my knowledge.

Jon

JasonCzerak

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Know Linux? Looking for a job?

I'm looking for a Linux / Storage engineer with at least 2+ years experience with Linux in the enterprise and basic understanding of storage.

If your skill set is a senior level, I'm open to that as well.

Give me a PM.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
VNT rod adjustment of 3.5" vac for start of movement and 19.5" for stop of movement resulted in a slight overboost (very minor) on my car.

Malone Tuning wants to see it closer to requested before writing a tune as he will be putting more boost into it and does not want to over do it.

He requested turning the rod out 1 full turn which he believes will put it closer to 4.5" vacuum for start of movement.

I will reply once it is adjusted and logs are done That way everyone will have a good idea for base adjustments.

Does anyone know a link on how to convert logs into graphs? Malone has been sending them back as graphs but I would like to know how to do it myself.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Microsoft excel. Highlight top left to bottom right, click the graph button, scatter plot, and do the lines, not the splines.

double click the low one that barely shows above zero, second tab check the secondary axis option.

^excel 2003

A good base adjustment has too many variables, thats why it is specified 3-5inHg lift off. Generally I shoot for 4 and tune around that. I have also tuned around 3inHg for faster spool but it is difficult to contain spikes.

joey944

Veteran Member
TDI
03 TDI Jetta Wagon Auto, 03 Golf TDI 5sp.
Well, Thanks for all the input on my vane stop set screw. To be honest I think I am more confused now. I guess I just think like a bike mechanic. Wish there was a simple base setting like.....Screw it all the way in and then back it out 3,4,5 turns etc... Grrrr. I hate to guess again and be wrong and blow up my friggin car!!!! Guess I'll drive slow and save up for a vnt 17 er smthg. Fak!!