MN Chat Thread

Woookie

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
yea figured out it was about half tooth off...i work for a dealer in the area my other buddy went to his shop (another local dealer) thats still open to pick up the tool

Woookie

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
you see.....im a new school VW tech and this old A3 stuff screws me up so thats why i have old school vw tech as a mentor/friend.

Woookie

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
THE DIESEL LIVES......CHEERS heres to another 60k before i have to do it again:p:):D 800 bucks later im back on the road

Last edited:

Woookie

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
well 800 dollars you ask lets start the list on the 97 1Z tdi with 290k.........$300 for a clutch kit from ecs tuning $120 for a timing belt kit from dieselgeek $300 from VW (mycost) for an intermediate shaft $104 from VW (my cost) intermediate shaft pulley,bolt,key,washer and finally $109 from VW (my cost) glow plug relay fuse block (the one that bolts to bulk head by the coolant resevoir) so my math is off about 1000 bucks

Woookie

TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
well the guy i bought the car from had some HACK (add a crap ton of curse words here) aftermarket shop install Tbelt and water pump they forgot to install the key way on the shaft causing the shaft to wear along with the pulley. ill post pics at a later time

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

sy552

TDI
15 Passat SEL , 15 Jetta SEL
You have a pm or you will in a moment. Brad is a good guy but it is hard to know how busy he is.
Nothing appeared yet.

If I am unable to get ahold of him, who else around should I contact? I could probably do it myself, but I have never done one and really don't want to mess anything up and I don't have the TB tools. I've got a vag-com though....

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Sy552, try contacting Nick (greengeeker) or leppy could help you as well, if all above fails you can always come to Sioux Falls, and I would gladly do it for you.:)

sawdustgf

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Brad just finished the timing belt on my wife's car a few hours ago. If you need to email him check post #3958 for his email address.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Brad just finished the timing belt on my wife's car a few hours ago. If you need to email him check post #3958 for his email address.
Well, there you go. That's an easy email address to remember. Deafbug@...

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
If I had more garage space and time, I'd happily help you out :)
Jon you need a bigger garage. Maybe next spring you put in a slab and we will increase your work space by 30 or 40 feet with a building party. :) You need more projects in your garage and more room for machine tools.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Jon you need a bigger garage. Maybe next spring you put in a slab and we will increase your work space by 30 or 40 feet with a building party. :) You need more projects in your garage and more room for machine tools.
Not only that but make the floor more level. It is a steep angle that if you play marbles with those green toy soldiers. One side will always win.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
well the guy i bought the car from had some HACK (add a crap ton of curse words here) aftermarket shop install Tbelt and water pump they forgot to install the key way on the shaft causing the shaft to wear along with the pulley. ill post pics at a later time
I would like to see the pictures. I am concern about how good did the shaft spin along with the pulley when it is without the key. I know you said that Macgyver it but ..... the word I am thinking is... oil.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Jfettig's AHH didn't have a woodruff key on his Ishaft either. It was TORQUED down to keep from spinning. Surprisingly no damage to the pulley.