MKVI Stage 2 tune=clutch slip?

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Just picked up a 2013 TDI Golf, great car but I have a hard time leaving my cars stock.

Wanting to hear what those who have Malone stage 1 or 2 experiences are with respect to clutch slipping. How many miles on the tune and total miles on the stock clutch? TIA

RL

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Well I'm sure others will agree with me but it's all how you drive the car. If you drive it like its stock I'm sure it will last for a while. If your hammering on it all the time I'm sure it won't last very long.

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Also if I'm not mistaken I think anything past a stage 1dsg tune will require dpf delete so watch for emissions. But I'm not 100 precent positive on that

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Also if I'm not mistaken I think anything past a stage 1dsg tune will require dpf delete so watch for emissions. But I'm not 100 precent positive on that
I have studied up on the tunes and understand Malones requirements, what he does not mention at what level does one need a stronger clutch. I have read of people that have no issues with clutch slipping even with stage 1.5.

I don't want to do a clutch up grade for quite awhile so I am wanting those with tunes 1&2 to share their experiences so I can make a more informed decision on which to get.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't so much the tune as how it is driven. Those that have no clue can eat up a clutch with a stock tune. Those that know what they are doing it doesn't matter so much.

psrumors

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
I've got 400 miles on my stage two and haven't detected any clutch slippage, the car only has 6k miles on it.

I didn't get the stage 2 for all out hammering on the car but rather very good driveability. I doubt my clutch wears out any faster than if I was stock.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
It isn't so much the tune as how it is driven. Those that have no clue can eat up a clutch with a stock tune. Those that know what they are doing it doesn't matter so much.
Of course it matters what the tune is. If a clutch is designed to hold 300lbs of torque and the tune bumps the the torque to 350lbs driving style can't do squat when you try and use all the power.

I haven't been able to find out what the stock clutch on the MKVI's are rated at with respect to torque value. The hand full of reports from folks that have stage 1&2 tunes the torque value has not been exceeded so no slipping reported. The dance the DMF does is a concern, but driving style can minimize it.

I agree with you though, there are some that shouldn't be allowed to own a car with a standard tranny.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
im more then sure the stock clutch can handle stage 3, let alone 2...even with full stage 2 and 6.5x10 enclosed trailer with 2 heavy snowmobiles going up very hill roads i couldnt make the clutch slip at all...i have 70,000kms on stage 2 and 170,000kms on the car.

Now dmf shake is very common and is the down side to the manual....mine is getting worse as time goes on

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Of course it matters what the tune is. If a clutch is designed to hold 300lbs of torque and the tune bumps the the torque to 350lbs driving style can't do squat when you try and use all the power.
The issue is you don't "have" to use all the power. How you use that power and when makes a huge difference as well. If all the driver knows how to do is floor it and dump the clutch, well they are in for trouble.

martiniwg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta 6M - 2015 Golf 6M
I usually floor the clutch and then take it out slowly (depending on speed).
My question is: is it better to floor it or not ?
What do you guys do ?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Clutch holds Stage 3, flywheel is the one who isn't happy.

Treat it well and it will treat you well.

whiteTDIpowa

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, 2011 Jetta TDI (sold)
I have 50,000kms on my stage 2, 76,000kms on the car. No slipping at all, the car drives and pulls great every day i drive it.

Secret is dont spin and light up the tires in 1st gear, and avoid dumping the clutch. These cars are very quick and impressive once tuned correctly, but they are not race cars.

uninc

TDI
2012 GOLF TDI MKVI
Curious if the Valeo Clutch w/ Single-Mass Conversion will hold up to a stage 3 setup. SMF will fix the shudder issue but will it hold the additional torque from stage 3? Would be nice not to have to spend $1,000.

senour

TDI
2012 VW Golf
I have a 2012 golf TDI just got the stage two programing and rawtec exhaust turbo back. My clutch will shudder in fifth and sixth gear under 2000 rpm if you floor it. Keep the rpms up no problem.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
I have a 2012 golf TDI just got the stage two programing and rawtec exhaust turbo back. My clutch will shudder in fifth and sixth gear under 2000 rpm if you floor it. Keep the rpms up no problem.

That's the flywheel, not the clutch.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Another voice here. Stage 3, no hint of clutch slip.. but do get flywheel shudder during the boost & torque spike around 2k rpm. I generally drive around it, while I try to find a solution I am happy with. Clutch itself seems fine.. though I'm very easy on it. Almost never launch from a stop, zero "power" shifting.

Jim_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf
Curious if the Valeo Clutch w/ Single-Mass Conversion will hold up to a stage 3 setup. SMF will fix the shudder issue but will it hold the additional torque from stage 3? Would be nice not to have to spend $1,000.
I keep hearing the 6 speed synchros aren't happy with a smf conversion....

Don't know how much truth there is to that.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Look at your torque limiters in field 008 in measuring blocks (vcds logging)
stage1 should be at min of 350nm, stage2 at 450nm min, and stage3 550nm min, and stage 4 at 650nm min. (typical RC numbers)

Clutch will probably slip above stage 2 values with CR. You will see 3x control values (drivers request (DR), torque request, and smoke limiter, the smallest of these values displayed represent your tune's max torque control limiter.

oem max torque limiter is 417nm. Even if drivers request map asks for 700nm, engine will only give as much torque allowed in min value of torque/smoke limiters. Note there are 3D control limiters, 2D control limiters (ie baro/lambda/temp open-closed loop corrections), and 1D max/ceiling limiters with corresponding time constants, not to exceed 2xxx ms or limp mode occurs.
Jeff ;-))

note: these numbers are empirical values used in calculating engine control parameters in the mappings, not real flywheel numbers, but are close approximations, and very useful parameters describing your tune's capability, and actual health of your sensors reporting (ie. maf, map, o2, temp, fuel rail, boost/baro, etc.)

Last edited:

Littlejon2202

TDI
2013 Jetta
Malone stage 2 here.
Got my '13 jetta with 110k and installed the rawtek dpf delete and stage 2 tune at 113k?
I haven't had any issue and I'm at 120k now. A little chatter when it's cold and not warmed up.

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
No slip on2014 with 120K same setup at you asked in your post. Little chatter. Thinking about going cr170 but that's like 1 grand for 30HP???.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I changed my clutch when I got the stage II tune, and for the most part, I don't utilize the full torque available to me while driving. Although while driving in the North East, I'm sure that during certain times, like merging from one highway to another, the max torque that I use to squeeze the car into rush hour traffic probably exceeds the original max the clutch can handle. I think that you will eventually have problems with the original clutch at some point so don't be shocked if you torch the clutch sooner than you thought. I also agree that any clutch is only as good as the technique used to engage it. I have a daughter who has burned through a couple clutches (10 years ago) on a old ratty Toyota before she got the hang of it. Now that she knows what she is doing, she only wants cars with a manual tranny.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I don't know about all smf clutches, but I did have an issue with my southbend endurance stage II toasting the 2nd gear synchro over about 10K miles. I bought a fluid dampener, and a beefy throw out bearing, and all seems fine now.

Joshuawheat

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Not to revive an old thread, but If anyone is ever worried about these clutches, DON'T.. They will hold almost anything you throw at it. I have a Rocketchip stage 3 tune and a CR170 turbo with everything deleted. I make roughly 390-400 ft lbs at the wheels depending on temps. I have 288k miles and I am still on the factory original clutch and flywheel. no shudder (I never go full boost below 2400-2500 rpm) and I don't always drive the car easily. Never slipped once in it's lifetime and I have been on this tune and turbo since 117k miles (and was stage 2 Malone prior to that for 20k miles). So the car has been tuned for a total of 190k-ish miles with roughly 170k of those stage 3 and cr170.