MkV / MkVI Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010)

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
TDIClub Bluetooth FAQ (Updated 12/30/2010 - Look at new 9W7 info)

There seems to be a lot of questions that recur on a regular basis regarding the Bluetooth option that is availalbe in the '09 and '10 Jetta and JSW. If you have retrofit Bluetooth in your car, some of this information may pertain to you as well. I will admit I don't know it all on this subject. If you see mis(sing) information, please let me know and I'll update or correct the FAQ. I don't have a lot of info on cars outside of the USA, so if anyone else wants to add information, replay I will add the info to the FAQ.

These questions have been answered in a number of threads that sometimes drag on for pages. This is simply an effort to consolidate the information that is available.

Thank you to the countless members and forums that I have gathered this information from. Special thanks to SeaBear for providing the coding to enable the MFD Phone menu on the 2010 Jetta Sedan!

What can the BT function in my car do?

That's what this FAQ is here to address. The answer may be as simple as it only acts as a hands free, to something complex like downloading of the phone book to display on the instrument cluster and on the screen of the Navigation unit. Much of the "depends" depends on the equipment in your car.

There's up to four components in your car's BT system, and two are required. The two required components are the BT module, and something to control it. Most commonly, it's the Multi Function Steering Wheel (MFSW). The two optional components are the full height MFD in the Instrument Cluster, and optionally the RNS-510 Navigation system.

OK, that's all well and fine. So what's all this mean to me and MY car?

2009 JSW

As far as I know, and from what information I've been able to track down this car was not available with a factory bluetooth option. The big limiting factor here was the lack of a MFSW option for this car. Retrofit of the MFSW and a BT module is possible though.

2009 Jetta Sedan

The 2009 Jetta Sedan came optional with 2 different BT options. The 9W3 BT option stickered for $275 and included the 1Z0 035 729 A module under the passenger seat. This car also came standard with the MFSW. This module is considered to be the "premium" BT module in that it has voice command and the capability to download the phone book from the handset. However, the module seems to not support display of the "Phone" menu on the MFD. The phone book can only be interacted with via the RNS-510 on the '09 Jetta.

The '09 Jetta also sometimes was sold with the Volk-L option, stickering for $350 and sometimes listed as a port installed option. This module is the same module that can be had at the parts counter in the Volk-L retrofit kit. This module does NOT support any transfer of the phone book, nor does it support voice command. It DOES however support A2DP (Bluetooth streaming audio.). When paired with a Premium 7 head unit, it will support mono audio. When paired with an RNS-510 head unit, it has the capability of streaming stereo audio to the head unit. Special wiring is required for stereo BT audio. The module also must be long coded for the proper head unit.

2010 Jetta Sedan

The 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan includes BT as a standard feature. 2010 sedans have been known to include the 1Z0 035 729 C module, and one user reports having the 1Z0 035 729 D module in their car. These modules are considered to be premium in that they have voice command and the ability to download the phone book from supported handsets. For some reason unbeknownst to the masses, the module supports the ability to display the "Phone" menu in the MFD but the functionality is not enabled from the factory. A simple change with a dealer VAS 5051/5025 or a VCDS can enable the "phone menu in the MFD. When paired with the RNS-510 you can interact with the phone book.

2010 Jetta SportWagen / 2010 Golf TDI

The 2010 JSW and 2010 Golf TDI come equipped with the 9W2 "UHV Low" Bluetooth option. This module allows for basic handsfree answering of calls and phone initiated hansfree outbound calling. This module also streams A2DP audio to compatible head units, most commonly the RNS-510 and the RCD-510. This module does NOT support voice command and a phone menu in the MFD. It absolutely cannot be enabled with this module!

2011 Jetta SportWagen / 2011 Golf TDI

The 2011 JSW and Golf cars now are shipping with VW's recent 9W7 Bluetooth option. The 9W7 module provides voice command, a phone menu in the MFD equipped cars, and A2DP BT audio streaming all in one module. Users are reporting that cars coming equipped with this module require no additional coding or modification to make any of this work. Basically, "it just works out of the box.."

I have the RNS-510 and a "Premium" BT module. What does this do for me?

When this module is paired with the RNS-510, it is also possible to dial from the phone book, dial from an on-screen dial pad, and display operator and signal strength information on the RNS-510.

Here's a link to a video showing how the Premium BT module and the RNS-510 work together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcSE0B7aRpE

But I want to do it all! I want A2DP (Streaming stereo audio), phone book functionality, and voice command!

2010 owners, you are in luck! You can now acquire the 9W7 module and install it in your vehicle in place of the 9W2 or 9W3 module that your car came equipped with. The part number for this module is 7P6 035 730 C. This will give you voice command, a phone menu in the RNS-510 if your car is so equipped, and A2DP audio streaming to either the RNS-510 or the RCD-510 head units. Note that some users are reporting that the overhead BT console in cars originally equipped with 9W2 modules does not function properly with the 9W7 option.

2009 owners are unfortunately may be out of luck as the 9W7 module is NOT compatible with the red highline MFD in the 2009 cars. This module pairs with other BT devices via the MFD, however member rolfovolvo has informed me that the 9W7 module will remain visible for 3 minutes after the vehicle has been turned on and can be paired via the handset. It is highly unlikely that an OEM module will be made to provide compatibility with the red MFD functionality for the 2009 cars as the red MFD and it's protocols are no longer actively manufactured or developed for by VW.

New 9W7 Info:

Member rolfovolvo has provided some more detailed information on the 9W7 family of BT modules:

Module with part number 7P6 035 730 B does not have Voice Recognition and Text to speech but HFP and A2DP as normal and sells a lot cheaper. This device might not be sold in the US via the parts counter, but might be imported and sold on the grey market.

Modules with part numbers: 7P6 035 730 C and 7P6 035 730 D both have voice recognition but the D variant is also capable of connecting to an external phone cradle for charging.

Needs confirmation / Coding information: Regarding some issues with the overhead buttons not working on some cars: The coding of the 9W7 has a flag for en-/disabling the buttons, in case the car doesn't have the buttons. Maybe the guys with the problem have taken a coding from a car without the buttons built in. Taking a coding from a car with working buttons might fix the issue. (Can

Needs confirmation: For the BT activity LED there is no coding flag, means it is technically not possible to enable the LED.

A non-OEM option is the Kufatec BT module, which should provide this functionality. Please see Kufatec's website for more information.

My MkV doesn't have Bluetooth. Can I add it?

Yes, but it is an undertaking. First, you need to have some way to control your BT module, this is either an MFSW, or an RNS-510 navigation unit. If your car does not have the MFSW and this is how you want to control your unit, then you will need to retrofit this first. There's plenty of information out there on how to do this and can be almost a FAQ in it's own. If you decide to go with an RNS-510, you need to ensure your BT module supports the RNS-510. There's no hard and fast rule on this, however the three parts above are known to work. See http://www.vwnavi.com for more information on the RNS-510 and Bluetooth configurations.

Once you have your MFSW/RNS-510 in place, you need the BT module. They are available in a variety of places. The easiest is to go to the dealer and get the Volk-L retrofit kit. It should work in any MkV based car with the MFSW. Installation requires splicing and routing of wires, and access to a VCDS. If you aren't comfortable with this, leave it to the pros.

Some modules are available on eBay, and may be sold as a "Skoda BT module." Skoda is just another divison of the VAG group selling in Europe only. Some of these modules work similarly to the Premium modules as above, and others requrie a phone capable of the RSAP (Remote SIM Access Profile.) Most US phones DO NOT support this and you will not be able to place or receive calls with an RSAP module. You will also need a wiring harness for modules sold by themselves and not as part of a kit.
There's plenty of info on retrofitting Bluetooth at http://www.vwnavi.com in the forums there.

You mentioned that you can enable the phone menu on my 2010 Jetta sedan? Spill it!

You need access to a VCDS. Connect to module/address word 77 - Telephone.

The coding in the 2010 1Z0 035 729 C module from the factory should be: 0011070

Many users have had success in enabling the phone menu in the MFD by changing the coding to read: 0000477.

Changing the third digit to "1" (0010477) should enable the menu in the MFD and the menu on the RNS-510 if your car is so equpped. If you have just retrofit the RNS-510, be sure to reset your RNS-510 by hodling in the left and right arrow buttons, as well as the day/night button, all adjacent to the DVD slot. Otherwise, the RNS will not recognize the change.

Last edited:

clem151

TDI
'09 Jetta
Thanks for the comprehensive FAQ.

So, we have a 9W3 bluetooth in our '09. Sounds like I should be able to enable BT support in the phone menu, which would be awesome.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
clem151 said:
So, we have a 9W3 bluetooth in our '09. Sounds like I should be able to enable BT support in the phone menu, which would be awesome.
No. On the '09, nobody has been able to get the phone menu working in the MFD. The '10's are reporting that the phone menu can be enabled.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
dzcad90, thanks for the BT FAQ. There is a lot of info on vwnavi.com but it's nice to see a bunch of it consolidated here. It's unfortunate that the '09 cars don't offer the MFD Phone menu, but I believe it's an instrument cluster issue (lack of the BAP protocol) and one that can't be rectified with a coding change. I have been pondering swapping in a '10 sedan cluster and the 9W3 BT.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Pelican18TQA4 said:
dzcad90, thanks for the BT FAQ. There is a lot of info on vwnavi.com but it's nice to see a bunch of it consolidated here. It's unfortunate that the '09 cars don't offer the MFD Phone menu, but I believe it's an instrument cluster issue (lack of the BAP protocol) and one that can't be rectified with a coding change. I have been pondering swapping in a '10 sedan cluster and the 9W3 BT.
Yeah, I think you're right about the BAP issue. I didn't want to get into all of that on the FAQ.

I think you might be in for a pound if you're in for a penny with the new white cluster.. My thinking is that anything that speaks to the cluster would probably need to speak BAP. I'm thinking CAN gateway, possibly ECU, etc..

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
dzcad90 said:
Yeah, I think you're right about the BAP issue. I didn't want to get into all of that on the FAQ.

I think you might be in for a pound if you're in for a penny with the new white cluster.. My thinking is that anything that speaks to the cluster would probably need to speak BAP. I'm thinking CAN gateway, possibly ECU, etc..
You may be correct about that and I don't think that anyone's attempted this to know for sure. Not sure that I want to be the guinea pig!

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
I confirmed this "upgrade" ;) works for my 2010 Sedan. I have the standard radio (no navigation). Part Number: 1Z0 035 729 D. Original Coding: 0011070, Modified Coding: 0000477. Made the Phone menu show up in the dash display *just like the owners manual states it should... Now all my contacts sync to the dash, as well as caller ID, received calls, missed calls, etc. This IS an easter egg, and a great one!!! Best of all, now I don't have to answer the phone all the time since I will know who is calling... HA! Thanks for the information! Here are some pics of the functional PHONE menu:
Phone Menu:

Last Calls:

Received Calls:

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
That is pretty darn sweet. I think VW is just stupid for not integrating something like this from the factory when it's only a matter of a coding change. It just doesn't make sense, especially in a car without the navigation where you don't get the Phone menu on the radio :confused:

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
Pelican18TQA4 said:
That is pretty darn sweet. I think VW is just stupid for not integrating something like this from the factory when it's only a matter of a coding change. It just doesn't make sense, especially in a car without the navigation where you don't get the Phone menu on the radio :confused:
My guess is that they neutered it on purpose to encouraged sales of the premium nav units which display the information on the radio. Another note, if you are on any of the other screens in the multifunction display (e.g., consumption, etc.) when a call is received, the phone menu automatically opens up so you see the caller ID and when the call is terminated, it reverts back to the original selection - sweet! I tested it out some yesterday and so far, it's a keeper.

dieselbreath

TDI
2010 golf tdi
My 2010 Golf has that oddball 1K8035730C you were talking about. Any new info on it? Is it just the runt of the litter?

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
As of now, Bluetooth module with part numbers starting with 1K8 = Lowline / 9W2. No menu in MFD, no menu on RNS, and no voice command.

dieselbreath

TDI
2010 golf tdi
Thanks for the info, dzcad90. I see your in Chicago and you have a Vag-Com? Care to shut off my DRL's? Id be happy to pay for your time and trouble.

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
I've got a friend who does it for a small fee. PM me if you want it done, takes less than 10 minutes.

rickcrna1 said:
Starbucker

Where did you get this re-coding done? I, too, live in the Vancouver, WA/Portland, OR area?

Thanks

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
Hi. I just got my 2010 Jetta Sedan TDI on Friday. I'd really like to enable the phone menu on the MFI. I'm in Kenosha, WI (Just north of Chicago). Gurnee VW is very reluctant to to do this, and most likely won't. Racine VW may do it for me, but won't know for a few more days. Anyone with a VAG Com willing to help out? Please PM me!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
If you wanted to drive to Joliet, I'd do it for you. Takes 5 minutes. Send me a PM if interested.

vdubJettaTDI_2010

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Starbucker,

Well either I find someone in Southeast Georgia with a VAG-COM or have a great road trip to the Pacific Northwest. Which could be quite fun. It would be nice to turn on the phone book.
Oh, the part number for the radio, where is that displayed? or do you need a device to read it, with out ripping out the dash board?

thanks

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
vdubJettaTDI_2010 said:
Starbucker,
Well either I find someone in Southeast Georgia with a VAG-COM or have a great road trip to the Pacific Northwest. Which could be quite fun. It would be nice to turn on the phone book.
Oh, the part number for the radio, where is that displayed? or do you need a device to read it, with out ripping out the dash board?
thanks
You need VAGCOM to get the part number the easy way :) Check the link at the top of the board (VAGCOM List) for others who may have a VAGCOM in your area.

vdubJettaTDI_2010

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Starbucker

That's for pointing out that link on the webpage. Didn't open. I'll try later, hopefully just networking issues on the site.

take care & thanks.

10TDI

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Posted this in my thread, but it fits here as well.

Just had a really great experience with the service department. Originally scheduled the appointment because my steering wheel was slightly to the left and I thought my alignment was off. When I went in, I had printed out the instructions on how to reprogram the car's computer so that it would show the phone menu in the MFD. They said they'd do it for no charge, and afterwards they thanked me for bringing that information in because VW wouldn't tell them how to fix the issue and they've had a number of new customers complaining about it. So they said they don't usually do alignments and all that before 1000 miles on the car, but they went ahead and did it anyways because I had brought that info to light.

I think it's pretty amusing that the guys here at TDIClub.com know more about reprogramming the car's computer than the guys at the dealerships. :D

Also I would like to say that if you live in the Denver area, check out Lithia Volkswagen on 104th. They have some great people all around and are willing to flash the bluetooth fix on 9w3 modules for free!

boska

TDI
2010 JSW, Salsa Red, Corn Silk Beige, 17" Goal Silver, Panorama Roof, Mat Kit
Thanks so much for this! I took delivery of my 2010 JSW on Friday. I've been going crazy figuring out how to access the elusive Telephone menu as illustrated in the Premium Bluetooth pamphlet included in my owner's manual packet. I'm not leaving the dealership tomorrow until it is activated.

Starbucker

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan DSG
boska said:
Thanks so much for this! I took delivery of my 2010 JSW on Friday. I've been going crazy figuring out how to access the elusive Telephone menu as illustrated in the Premium Bluetooth pamphlet included in my owner's manual packet. I'm not leaving the dealership tomorrow until it is activated.
As a quick word of warning, the 2010 SW's seem to come with the 9w2 BT modules, which means that you won't be able to activate it unless you install a new BT module (9w3). Does your SW have the voice activated function when you push the mic button on the left side of the steering wheel? That's typically a quick indiator if you have 9W3. Best of luck.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
I cant figure this out. 2009 JSW TDI do NOT have steering wheel controls. I have the basic radio (6 CD changer)

What are my options for blue tooth?

Someone who has done this, please comment.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
ekkoh99 said:
I cant figure this out. 2009 JSW TDI do NOT have steering wheel controls. I have the basic radio (6 CD changer)

What are my options for blue tooth?

Someone who has done this, please comment.
'09 JSW is covered in the FAQ.

You need to either retrofit the MFSW or the RNS-510 to get factory Bluetooth to work. There is also an overhead console option that has bluetooth buttons, however I don't know much about it.

At this point, you can either shell out for Navi or an MFSW retrofit, however you might do just as well getting an aftermarket unit.

boska

TDI
2010 JSW, Salsa Red, Corn Silk Beige, 17" Goal Silver, Panorama Roof, Mat Kit
Starbucker said:
As a quick word of warning, the 2010 SW's seem to come with the 9w2 BT modules, which means that you won't be able to activate it unless you install a new BT module (9w3).
Went to the service dept. today, confirmed I have a 9w2. The service manager made a good-faith effort to figure it out, I think there may have been some trial unit swapping going on.

I'm a tad disappointed mostly because I'm coming from 2001 SAAB 9-3 Convertible which was pretty sparse gadget-wise. I was looking forward to coming into the aughts:p. Not that big of a deal since I don't make many calls while driving. At least the Bluetooth connectivity works well and sound quality is clear.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
how was your guys experence with 2010 sedan non nav radio and syncing phonebooks? Last night i vagcom the coding to allow mfd display, worked like a charm. But it won't transfer my contacts of my phonebook over to the mfd. I see recent and last calls, but can't surf through the phonebook.

I have an LG Chocolate Touch and when I tried sending my contacts via bluetooth (i updated the bluetooth id so it reconnizes it now as skoda) it says I need to disconnect from the bluetooth device, like it can't send it over. I remember someone else having troubles with it.

Thanks

Last edited:

jeremy1701

TDI
2010 Jetta, 2002 Bettle
I have a 2010 Sedan and dzcad enabled the phone menu on the MFI for me. My iPhone 3GS synced perfectly; recent, contacts, missed all came up. I edited an entry and the next time it paired, the edit was synced. I turned off the missed and recents and they also synced (where gone) the next time I paired.