MKV JETTA...WHAT ARE YOUR MPGs?

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Really wondering what everyone is getting for real world MPGs?

My DSG is getting 53mpg at 55mph.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Well, I'm on the other end of the Mk5 model years. I have a 2009 JSW (CBEA CR engine). The majority or my driving is in the city with only occasional trips on the freeway. Most tanks (all city driving) average around 34 to 38 mpg, but you have to consider where I live. On the way to work in the morning I usually have no need for A/C and I usually get 38-43 mpg (depending mostly on how I hit the traffic lights). However, on the way home from work (car sitting in the sun all day, ambient temps well over 100 degrees) the A/C is blasting and I am lucky to get 32 mpg. I always get my best mileage in the spring and the fall - summer fuel and no A/C (most of the time) and my worst mileage in the summer due to A/C.

On the highway, I always do much better. My worst highway tank average was about 41 mpg and my best long trip was 46 mpg. I live in the world of 75+ mph speed limits, so this is cruising at 80 mph (or more). At highway speeds the A/C makes only a few mpg difference, but in the city (with a hot car) it makes a big difference.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I also have a Revo tune and a bit of a heavy (size 15) right foot.:D

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
As Fuelly shows, I took a big hit over the winter and all spring due to stuck rear brake pad. Fixed and finally seeing close to 50 MPG tanks (not trips). Pretty good for 283K.

carkey351

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed 157K(to replace 09 when it goes away)2009 Jetta 6 speed-414K (and climbing), 2002 chevy duramax (303k and climbing).
i hand calculate each tank and it has varied from 43 to a high of 47. Last tank was 45mpg. A couple of factors -I do not have the plastic skidplate installed (i know naughty, but i haven't been able to locate the fasteners for it). I either drive all highway or a bunch of short trips across town, hindering getting a highway only mpg test. My car is an 09 with the 6speed manual and i tend to hot rod through the gears as well (it's fun). Also the car has 381K on it so it is broken in.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Getting 39 to 44 depending on amount of city vs highway driving we do. We drive down to Mexico for the winter and get great mileage to the boarder (45+) but then drop over 10% or more when we fill up with Mexican diesel.

carkey351

TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed 157K(to replace 09 when it goes away)2009 Jetta 6 speed-414K (and climbing), 2002 chevy duramax (303k and climbing).
Thanks kcunniff for showing me that. I put all the bolts in a bucket and now can't find it. I may just order them via the link you provided. Thanks again

jjtoutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (BRM) DSG Transmission
I usually get too excited to get good MPG:)

Around 35-40 with mostly city and weekend drives.

Last edited:

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
34 pulling a motorcycle and trailer, and 36 around town, up to 47 on back road around 60 mph

I recently bumped my torsion value up to +.96 from - 1.96 and so far the car is running a lot smoother, haven't been able to tell how much that has effected the milage yet

arrzilla

TDI
2009 Candy White Jetta Sedan.
I get around 33-36mpg city driving. 38-42mpg if all highway (depending on speed).

I can easily get 42-45mpg of easy mixed driving.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Thanks there Mr.Dandy. It seems that im getting superb mileage while still rollin coal. That may have made my day.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I only get about 39mpgs as my daily drive is a 70 mile round trip. I like driving 55 and listening to music in the right lane but that's only for about a 1/3 of my commute, this TDI loves the highway. Problem is city driving for about 10 miles daily, ugh.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Very consistent 42+ MPG. 500km per week mostly highway, full to empty tank every two weeks, bit of a heavy foot on highway sometimes, car parked on Saturday & Sunday (we use the SUV hybrid). 2009 CBEA with 168,000kms all stock. I have been able to achieve much better mileage on long road trips via highway.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
during the winter I was getting around 40, now that it has warmed I was getting 42-44 mpg. I plan on making some changes after I get some money together. The DPF delete and tune is not cheap.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Yeah 54 of my 60 mile round trip to work is 55mph speed zones. And i drive 55 cause i get great mpgs and i dont want any hits on my mvr. Cheaper insurance. Cars happier. Wallets happier. Nice relaxing drive.

wanabe

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Laser Blue, manual transmission
I have recorded every drop of fuel (including some that was spilled on the ground when pumps did not cut off) in a spreadsheet and on fueleconomy.gov. Over 76K miles I've averaged 44.8 MPG. The worst tank was 33.4 which was 100% city driving in Tampa, FL. The best was 53.6 driving from Laramie, WY to St. Joseph, MO. That was at altitude (up to 9000 feet) and mostly descending with a tail wind.

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
2006 5-speed. I have a consistent 47mpg until I use the air conditioner extensively which will drop me to 44mpg. Best I ever got I think was 51. This is 5 years worth of checking manually every fill-up for over 100K.

apaterso

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
totally depends on how I choose to drive. In normal daily driving I am getting about 40 MPG over a full tank. That includes the occasional 50+ mpg highway driving at 65MPH and the stop and go 30mpg of commute and city driving.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
The real answer is "it depends"!

I have a lot of stop and go driving, and that will average 37 MPG. In the summer in the Hotlanta south, 2 factors, hot ambient air temperature and running the AC non stop pulls my Miles per gallon down, so maybe 38-40MPG.

In the winter when temps are much lower, i can get 42-44.

The biggest factor is speed. I once average 54MPG but was going 58 MPH and the ambient temp was 48 degrees and very humid.

I also have a DSG.

newbeetleman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
My wife's 13 JSW is getting 46-48 driving 65 with AC on.. actually AC doesn't matter, I can turn it off with windows down or AC on.. mpg doesn't change.

Spiked1Z

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Here in Texas you will get run off the road if you travel any less than 65 mph on the freeway, and even then you will have people tail gating, swerving around you and road raging at you... Plus I figure it's good to romp on the throttle atleast once a trip... freeway trips around 70 to 80 mph, even towing the bike and trailer I'm happy with 34 to 36 mpg with a/c blowing on max

mwhite1206

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
I've logged every fill up on mine since I got it almost a year ago. Worst tank was the very first one, averaged 32.5 mpg. Best tank was 42.3 mpg and over the year I've averaged about 38 mpg combined. I think I have some issues that are hurting my mileage. I'm hoping if I can get things straightened out a bit I can increase my average.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Currently getting 39.9 (47.9 Imp) MPG mostly highway. I used to consistently get 42 but a few things have changed and I haven't had the time to experiment and fine tune it. A year ago I replaced my camshaft with a Colt Stage II.

I set my torsion value to 0.0 and it runs great at that value but the tag on the timing belt cover indicated that it was factory set to -1.1 which could have affected the economy.

This spring when the snow tires came off I had to replace the worn out Michelin Energy MX4 tires but chose to go with a set of Nokian eNTYRE's. I prefer the smooth quiet ride and stability of the Nokians but with the combined cam replacement and new tires I've lost about 100Km's or 60 miles range to a tankful. Even though the Nokian tires are the same size as the Michelins they have made a difference of 2 Km/h indicated speed compared to my GPS so the Nokians are rotating more revs per Km than the Michelins.

I hope to be able to tweak it back where it was but will have to see if I can find the time to play with it. At least I'm getting way better mileage than my wife's 2007 Chev (GM Korea) Optra Hatchback 2 litre gasser that can't do better than 22 MPG :mad:.

Last edited: