MKV Fuel Filter Replacement Procedure

sebring96hbg

TDI
2006 Jetta
40X40 said:
In what looks like yet another running change on the manufacturing line.....

My newest car (06.5 Jetta) looks different from my earlier 06 Jetta in regards to the fuel filter BRACKET. The bracket is one piece and does not unclip from the car like the older car does.

EDIT,
Neither one of my cars have the fuel filter bracket that will unclip... both are bolted on with what looks like three bolts. At the local GTG I noticed at least one other 06 that looked like it would unclip so you could dump the canister rather easily.
So some do and some don't. Sound familiar?;)
EDIT

Bill
same here and mine was built in March 2006.

ejpilger

TDI
2006 Jetta
Mine was purchased in August 2006. Had to unbolt the canister.

Used 2 straight blade screwdrivers to slowly leverage out the old filter (after dumping as much fluid as possible). Once I had the filter out, I dumped the remaining fluid, rinsed it once with some diesel treatment I had purchased, and put the new filter in.

Put everything back together and let the car do the priming. Worked like a charm. Minimum of spills. Since I use B100, what did leak out was not at all obnoxious (though I made sure to get it off any plastic or paint).

Filter was covered with a slight film of black slime.

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had to use pliers to get a good enough grip to pull the old filter out halfway out, after that it wasn't too tight. Was really tight pushing the new one down in and got a little splashed back at me. The top of the cannister did not completely close down until I screwed the bolts down. I did notice that the center tube in the filter assembly seemed a little loose, does anyone know if that is normal?

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
bombero said:
I had to use pliers to get a good enough grip to pull the old filter out halfway out, after that it wasn't too tight. Was really tight pushing the new one down in and got a little splashed back at me. The top of the cannister did not completely close down until I screwed the bolts down. I did notice that the center tube in the filter assembly seemed a little loose, does anyone know if that is normal?
I had the exact same experience. The replacement filter was definitely a tighter fit, it seemed, than the filter I took out, and the cannister would not shut all the way until I tightened the bolts. The center tube also has a lot of "play" in it - in other words, it's a little wobbly. But the filter fits around it snuggly, so it doesn't move.

I hope this is normal!

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
My 06.5 was built Aug 8 2006. Just verified the Vin with Peter at TDIparts.com and he said that it is an 07 build and was surprised that it was not a diesel edition. At any rate, went to change the fuel filter last night for my 20k service. Fuel filter recieved was the old style like in the pics at the beginning of this post, however upon opening up the canister, I found that I had the new style. My factory p/n is 1KO 127 177B which makes this the third p/n for our vehicles of which I am pretty sure has already been discussed in the forums. Damn that was long winded, on to my point.

Peter was AWESOME:D, not only did my filter kit and oil arrive as promised, when I called him this morning to tell him about the fuel filter, he immediately said that he would send out the correct filter and a return label for the one I have so that I would not have to pay to send it back!!! :cool:

This is fantastic customer service and recommend him to anyone here looking to do their own servicing **not to take anything away from the other highly recommended vendors on this site**

Finally since I have the new style filter and canister setup from what is pictured (underneath the lid is completely different) I will be taking pics and documenting for those of us with the new style. Thanks to TerribleTDI and everyone else that contributed to this thread for a great write up and pics, as it made it very easy for me to start the filter change. btw, it is the 30torx bit for the screws holding the lid in place, which is the same bit used on the 3 rear screws holding the plastic skid plate in place for the oil change.

Eric

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You are supposed to empty the container and clean it when the filter is out. How did it splash back if the container was empty, or did you miss this? Glad to hear it went well for you though! Isn't this forum great!

bombero said:

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Lightflyer1 said:
You are supposed to empty the container and clean it when the filter is out. How did it splash back if the container was empty, or did you miss this? Glad to hear it went well for you though! Isn't this forum great!

Thought I could just be careful about it, next time I will use the wife's turkey baster and she can get a new one! The fuel did look really pure though. Started right up w/no problems. This forum and this site are great with good people on it.

Last edited:

Bullfrog

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey Terrible TDI,

Thanks for the pics and description. Get this. I popped the lid off my filter container and did so very carefully so as not to spill everywhere. When I lifted it off, NO OLYMPIC GASKET!!! I checked under the lid and even got out down in the engine bay with a flashlight and it was nowhere to be found.

TerribleTDI

TDI
06 VW Jetta TDi, DSG, PKG 1, North Sea Green
Good to see that everyone's getting some use out of this thread. Last I checked it'd been tossed in the back caverns of the TDi library.

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
TDI 4 RD said:
I had the exact same experience. The replacement filter was definitely a tighter fit, it seemed, than the filter I took out, and the cannister would not shut all the way until I tightened the bolts. The center tube also has a lot of "play" in it - in other words, it's a little wobbly. But the filter fits around it snuggly, so it doesn't move.

I hope this is normal!
Ditto for me. Was an extremely tight fit, including the canister not shutting until bolts tightened.

No problems after 5k miles.

-Chris

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
robbinsresort said:
Ditto for me. Was an extremely tight fit, including the canister not shutting until bolts tightened.

No problems after 5k miles.

-Chris
Same for me, I actually pulled the filter out about 5 times trying to figure out if something was wrong. I even put the old one back in. The center column seems to be spring loaded to maintain pressure on the olympic gasket.

My TDI ran much smoother after the fuel filter change, and I did it 8000km early on my first interval.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Bullfrog said:
Hey Terrible TDI,

Thanks for the pics and description. Get this. I popped the lid off my filter container and did so very carefully so as not to spill everywhere. When I lifted it off, NO OLYMPIC GASKET!!! I checked under the lid and even got out down in the engine bay with a flashlight and it was nowhere to be found.
The olympic gasket was installed upside down in mine. Even though it only goes in one way, whoever put the filter together put it in flipped over.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
SuperJ said:
Same for me, I actually pulled the filter out about 5 times trying to figure out if something was wrong. I even put the old one back in. The center column seems to be spring loaded to maintain pressure on the olympic gasket.
My TDI ran much smoother after the fuel filter change, and I did it 8000km early on my first interval.
As long as the center column doesn't twist everything should be fine. There's pins on top of it that line up with holes in the cap.

RichOxfordBlue

TDI
2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Restart after filter change out

Followed the thread which made changing the fuel filter a breeze, but did have some problem restarting. Followed the procedure to turn the key on for 30 seconds and off then repeat several times. Started right up then died after 10 seconds. Repeated the procedure, but would crank and not start. Tried leaving the key off for 30 seconds for a number of cycles also and the engine kicked over without problems. I noticed what sounded like a pump running for about 15 seconds after the key was off. Can anyone tell me what I was doing wrong and what the pump sound is?

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
Received the correct fuel filter on saturday. So the filter from the factory on mine was p/n 1KO 127 177B which is the same as the 434B filter. Changed it yesterday in about 10min tops including completely draining the canister with a turkey baster. All in all had about 12oz of fuel in it with nary a trace of water :D. As mentioned by others you do have to screw the lid down using a star pattern for it to seat the filter to the housing attached to the lid. Will be posting pics soon. The only thing that is different is the way the filter looks and you only replace the o-ring for the lid. Extremely easy and very intuitive to change this filter out.

Also, for me, all I did was get in and turn the key waiting for the glow plug light to go out, there was a very audible rush of fluid filling the canister which lasted all of 2 seconds. Glow plug light went out, and she turned right over with no problems!

Eric

bubbanc

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, DSG, Pkg #2
LF06VWJTDI said:
Yes that is the 434 A, shared by both 2005.5 and 2006. However, VIN splits in 2006 (aka 2006.5) use the 434 B.
Ahh, I recieved my filters today and when I didn't see the olympic gasket in there, I called WorldImpex. They went back and checked and said for my VIN they sent me the right part number (1K0 127 434 B). I was perplexed because this filter only has one hole in it as the rev A appears to a hole all the way through the filter, and the green thing appears to be a built-in rubber washer. We'll see this weekend! I'll try and get some pictures during the process. Below is what mine looks like:

Received the correct fuel filter on saturday. So the filter from the factory on mine was p/n 1KO 127 177B which is the same as the 434B filter. Changed it yesterday in about 10min tops including completely draining the canister with a turkey baster. All in all had about 12oz of fuel in it with nary a trace of water :D. As mentioned by others you do have to screw the lid down using a star pattern for it to seat the filter to the housing attached to the lid. Will be posting pics soon. The only thing that is different is the way the filter looks and you only replace the o-ring for the lid. Extremely easy and very intuitive to change this filter out.

Also, for me, all I did was get in and turn the key waiting for the glow plug light to go out, there was a very audible rush of fluid filling the canister which lasted all of 2 seconds. Glow plug light went out, and she turned right over with no problems!

Eric
Eric, did you encounter much leaking when unscrewing or much resistance when removing the current filter?

Last edited:

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
Rev B fuel filter change 2006.5 Jetta MkV

Sorry to all for the delay in getting the pics posted.. and thanks again to TerribleTDI for the initial great write up and pics for the Rev A filters.

bubbanc said:
Eric, did you encounter much leaking when unscrewing or much resistance when removing the current filter?
No and Yes... I had a towel wrapped around the canister just in case. I did not have any leaking while removing the torx screws, however the black nipple under the lid brings the filter up with it when you lift the lid up (be very careful here as you will have fuel draining out of the filter. At this point I gently rocked the filter back and forth as there is some resistance until the green washer released from the nipple. I then let the filter drain as much as possible while keeping it vertical, every now and then tilting it a little to let more fuel drain out into the canister, I transfered the filter with a rag under it to the waiting pail as fuel was still dripping out of it. I think that next time at 30K I will possibly have something waiting so that i can just transfer directly to the waiting pail (in my case an empty cat litter plastic pail with some litter in it to absorb the fuel).

Parts needed to perform.
Rags
Flathead screwdriver
T30 torx driver
Torque wrench to do it correctly.
Torque specs are 9Nm for the 5 T30 Torx screws in lid.

Fuel Filter P/N 1K0 127 434 B

Bottom of fuel filter lid, note the tube in the middle pointed directly at you, this is what fits into the green rubber washer already on the filter. **(Reminder screws are a Torx30) and as discussed in previous posts, you will have to gently rock the lid back and forth in order to get it to release... be careful as fuel will splash if not careful, hence the towels in place as a preventative measure**

Fuel filter with 20K miles

Remaining fuel left in canister after removing filter **it is not necessary to remove the remaining fuel unless you see debris or perhaps water**

**Not necessary unless debris or water is observed in the fuel canister, I do this every time as a personal preference only** Removing fuel (approx 12oz) with a turkey baster **note this is a plastic baster and after several weeks has shown no degradation after being in contact with the fuel** I also had no visible traces of water or debris.

Wiped clean with "lint free" rag.

Installing new o-ring **note location**

O-ring installed

Filter inserted into canister

Lid back on and tightened down using a star pattern at 9Nm with a Torque wrench.

Turned key and waited for glow plug light to go off **Note**very audible sound of fuel filling the canister that took approx 2 seconds. Started right up with no hesitation. Visibly inspected around the canister lid to make sure there were no leaks, then took her for a quick drive around the block and reinspected. All good. Entire procedure took around 10min for my first time.

Hope that this helps

Eric

Last edited:

bubbanc

TDI
Thanks so much for the updated pics for the late-model 2006/2006.5! My wife will appreciate me not making her take pics of me doing this now :)

BTW, I checked my Bentley that have the new filter and procedure for this setup and they mention that the torque specs are 5Nm (44 in-lbs) for the bolts around the top of the housing. I like the turkey baster idea and have a spare one, but in testing things, it tends to leak a bit. I was thinking about using my Oil Boy with a different end (not the one I use for oil extraction). Since you mentioned that the baster didn't have any issues after the extraction, it makes me think the the Oil Boy would be fine (I would empty it out after the procedure).

Thanks again to both TerribleTDI & Eric!

Last edited:

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
bubbanc said:
but in testing things, it tends to leak a bit.Since you mentioned that the baster didn't have any issues after the extraction,
Yea I had the same problem with the leaking (at the suction end after bring it up out of the fuel) all I did was let it fill up then put my finger over the end of it before transfering it to the pail. Like you I am sure that there is a better way, but since I will only be doing this every 10K I will just stick with using the baster as it wasnt that much of an inconvenience for me. Glad that this is helping others and thank you for the torque specs :cool: for the screws. I am in the process of getting both the bentley manual and Vagcom.

bubbanc

TDI
Did the procedure today with few issues. I found it helpful to have a suction device (used my oil boy) ready for after the lid is pryed off while the filter is still connected to the lid. That way you can suction off enough fuel to not spash when you take the filter off (I dropped it back in the canister), then suctioned the remaining fuel out. I also put the new filter on the lid before putting it in the canister.

I did accidently clean off 2 of the 4 fuel lines with a rag that had fuel on it. I wiped them off with a clean rag and put some armor-all on them and cleaned some more. If anyone has another suggestion on what to clean/treat those rubber lines with, I'm all ears. Other than that, no issues.

DieselDavid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6M, 2015 Golf SEL TDI DSG
bubbanc said:
I did accidently clean off 2 of the 4 fuel lines with a rag that had fuel on it. I wiped them off with a clean rag and put some armor-all on them and cleaned some more. If anyone has another suggestion on what to clean/treat those rubber lines with, I'm all ears. Other than that, no issues.
When I raised the fuel filter canister lid, a few drops of diesel fuel landed on the big fat rubber hose near the fuel filter canister. After using some choice words I cleaned the fuel off first with a paper towel and then with some SimpleGreen.

Da~da~da

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6
bubbanc said:
I also put the new filter on the lid before putting it in the canister.
Bubba, great that you did this as I was going to suggest it and also try it on the 30K. Nice to see that it worked for you.

bubbanc

TDI
Da~da~da said:
Bubba, great that you did this as I was going to suggest it and also try it on the 30K. Nice to see that it worked for you.
I was hoping it would make the lid go on a little easier, but it didn't. It did ensure that there was a good seal between the lid and the filter (instead of the lid perhaps pushing the rubber grommet into the filter - not sure if this would be possible, but that is what I was worried about).

rgiskard

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
Excellent thread!

I changed out my fuel filter today, it didn't take very long at all considering it was my first time. The old filter was as black as those in your pics. After a slight hiccup, I could definitely tell it was driving more smoothly...I had recently noticed some hesitation and what seemed like small surges at low rpms and in stop and go traffic.

Maybe it was just me, but I could not hear a sound of the cannister being filled with new fuel. I put the ignition in run 3 times, waited 30 seconds after the glow plug light went out each time, and on the last cranked it up. It cranked very easily, and was running smoothly, but while I went to check there were no leaks it started to sputter and stalled. I tried to re-prime a few times, but after each it still would not start. At this point I am starting to get worried, so I break out my newly received Bentley service manual and start looking for Instrument error codes...a timer with a "26" beneath it was showing.

After not finding anything, I tried to start once more, and this time gave it some fuel while cranking. It started up and after revving it some all was good again. After restarting it twice just to be on the safe side, I took a drive to test it all out. All appears normal now.

Any ideas what could have caused this? I didn't do anything outside of what has been posted in this tread...

Last edited:

74plb

TDI
Jetta
2006 Jetta

We changed my fuel filter at the PNW GTG and the boys from Longview, Wa. suggested that I cycle the fuel pump on and off about ten times.
I suspect that your fuel lines had enough fuel to start and idle; but not enough to keep it running until the filter container and lines were completely full.
Mine started and ran fine w/out any stalling or hesitation. My Jetta had a build date of 7/06 btw and had the one hole fuel filter....

Thanks guys!
74plb

MWCAdmiral

TDI
Jetta '06
I've been looking forward to doing my fuel filter change and the directions found here were great. However, I encountered a little snag, I'm hoping someone might have some helpful suggestions. After replacing the filter, I turned the key to the start position to let the canister fill up with fuel. I did that a few times then start the car. It started right up. As I got out to check for leaks, it died. I tried starting it again and it cranks, but doesn't start. I tried the priming procedure again and that didn't help. As a last resort, I opened up the canister to see if it really was full of fuel and it was. I went ahead and pulled the filter out and put the old one back in, hoping it might be an issue with the new filter. No luck. The car just won't start. I even tried giving it some fuel while cranking. Anyone got any suggestions? I'd appreciate any help.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
MWCAdmiral said:
I've been looking forward to doing my fuel filter change and the directions found here were great. However, I encountered a little snag, I'm hoping someone might have some helpful suggestions. After replacing the filter, I turned the key to the start position to let the canister fill up with fuel. I did that a few times then start the car. It started right up. As I got out to check for leaks, it died. I tried starting it again and it cranks, but doesn't start. I tried the priming procedure again and that didn't help. As a last resort, I opened up the canister to see if it really was full of fuel and it was. I went ahead and pulled the filter out and put the old one back in, hoping it might be an issue with the new filter. No luck. The car just won't start. I even tried giving it some fuel while cranking. Anyone got any suggestions? I'd appreciate any help.
I have not encountered this problem on the PD engine but suspect that you have air that has entered your fuel injector system. I think the final solution will be bleeding the system. You might try a boolean search using key words such as:

• bleeding AND fuel AND system AND PD
Hopefully one of the experts will help with more details specific to this engine.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Da~da~da said:
Sorry to all for the delay in getting the pics posted.. and thanks again to TerribleTDI for the initial great write up and pics for the Rev A filters.

No and Yes... I had a towel wrapped around the canister just in case. I did not have any leaking while removing the torx screws, however the black nipple under the lid brings the filter up with it when you lift the lid up (be very careful here as you will have fuel draining out of the filter. At this point I gently rocked the filter back and forth as there is some resistance until the green washer released from the nipple. I then let the filter drain as much as possible while keeping it vertical, every now and then tilting it a little to let more fuel drain out into the canister, I transfered the filter with a rag under it to the waiting pail as fuel was still dripping out of it. I think that next time at 30K I will possibly have something waiting so that i can just transfer directly to the waiting pail (in my case an empty cat litter plastic pail with some litter in it to absorb the fuel).

Fuel Filter P/N

Bottom of fuel filter lid, note the tube in the middle pointed directly at you, this is what fits into the green rubber washer already on the filter. **(Reminder screws are a Torx30) and as discussed in previous posts, you will have to gently rock the lid back and forth in order to get it to release... be careful as fuel will splash if not careful, hence the towels in place as a preventative measure**

Fuel filter with 20K miles

Remaining fuel left in canister after removing filter

Removing fuel (approx 12oz) with a turkey baster as discussed by other members **note this is a plastic baster and after several weeks has shown no degradation after being in contact with the fuel** Also I had no visible traces of water.

Wiped clean with "lint free" rag.

Installing new o-ring **note location**

O-ring installed

Filter inserted into canister

Lid back on and tightened down using a star pattern **note I do not know what the torque specs are for these screws, however you dont have to reef on them. I snugged them down to have resistance without stripping and after 2k miles still do not have any leakage as I think that the included o-ring does an outstanding job at sealing which is noticable when you try to pry the lid up!**

Turned key and waited for glow plug light to go off **Note**very audible sound of fuel filling the canister that took approx 2 seconds. Started right up with no hesitation. Visibly inspected around the canister lid to make sure there were no leaks, then took her for a quick drive around the block and reinspected. All good. Entire procedure took around 10min for my first time.

Hope that this helps

Eric
Heh, took me 45 minutes...but that is because I dropped one of the bolts and it was sitting in the skid plate....luckily I had my friend the retracable magent...took a couple bolts out of the skid (no ramps here) and fished the magent in and out came the screw...lol.

Anyway got the new filter in and I had the exact same experience...started right up. I tightened the bolts in a star pattern to seal it properly.

These newer style filters seem easier than the old style.