MKV-A5 SMF conversion. CoolAirVW

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
2005 Jetta Pkg 1, 5 speed with RC1+.
Well, at 106,000 miles I finally had the DMF changed out for a single mass flywheel. A G60/VR6 flywheel/clutch combination was installed resulting in much smoother acceleration and an obviously smoother idle. The old DMF was a real mess and apparently nearing total failure.
All work was performed by Richard in Belton, MO., known as CoolAirVW on this forum.
While he had the transmission out of the car, he gave the engine compartment a good inspection resulting in a precautionary replacement of the heater hoses due to oil soaking and swelling of the hoses.
An oil leak was discovered at the combination pump gasket. The oil leak wet the back side of the engine, the heater hoses, and even wet the inside of the bell housing. The gasket was replaced and the camshaft was inspected and declared good for the time being.
The transmission lube oil was drained and replaced using VW lubricants and all TTY bolts were replaced with new bolts.
I feel fortunate to have such a capable TDI mechanic just a few miles from me!
Thanks Richard!
Bill
PS, Richard is the go-to guy for automatic transmissions on TDIs, and he even does auto to manual conversions as well.
http://www.kansascitytdi.com/

Last edited:

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Interesting. So you had that leak and your cam has never been pulled?

I had it after the second camshaft replacement, and it about drove me mad. I leaked 1.5 gallons of oil in 3 months as it was leaving a rather obvious drip trail wherever I went.

dieselpony

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6 speed manual Moonrock Silver
Did you get the Sachs kit or Valeo? Any idle chatter? I'm sure this is in my future, and am debating between LUK DMF or one of these SMF options.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Did you get the Sachs kit or Valeo? Any idle chatter? I'm sure this is in my future, and am debating between LUK DMF or one of these SMF options.
Although I bought the car used, I believe I have Valeo kit (I got an box of it too). I really like how it feels in comparison to my company car I drive. It's super smooth at idle (no vibrations, etc) but gears could change a little bit easier, though. *Sometimes* it chatters at idle but the chatter is always heard (only heard, not felt) only outside the car. I never have my windows down so I never know if it chatters or not at this moment while I'm in the cabin.