MKIV electric mirror retrofit

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Just wondering if anyone has converted a manual mirror car to electric mirrors? What all did you have to buy or acquire?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Not yet but will be along with all four window regs, cruise and mfa :D No I don't know how to but I think I'm figuring it out.
For the mirrors on their own though, I'm not sure how you'd do that. With the electric window regs etc the power just goes to the door and there's not many wires. Just power, negative, two bus wires for the ccm, two speaker wires and two more I haven't figured out yet. The switch for the mirrors though has like ten pins, so that must be four for each mirror, power and earth maybe. The mirrors have four wires each but then there's the heating part, it looks a bit confusing tbh lol, I really need to get some good wiring diagrams :D

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Thanks Seatman, I am wondering if VW has nice enough to provide the wiring in the door for the mirrors? I have seen an unused plug in the door panel, it was rather large but I did not count the pins.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just had a look at the mirror plug, it actually has five wires going to it, that's a bit more confusing lol. The plug has twelve spaces in all but only five are used and it's in two rows of six with a clip at each end, I really doubt the wiring is already there.

gioTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
The memory mirrors are part of the wiring from a Power Memory Seat, there are wires going from the Seat to the mirrors both L + R

If you are looking to do a Power Folding mirror retrofit its a bit more complicated, you have to replace your Mirror Boards and add new wires to the existing harness

As far as adding just electric mirrors, shoudn't be to hard at all, it will require some parts thought such as either do a direct wire replacement from a car with electronic mirror, or just add the necessary wires

There are only few wires for the electric mirrors, others are empty because no Memory Mirrors

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nah man, there's two motors for adjustment as it is which is four wires anyway then the other one will be for the heater. The mirrors which fold will have even more wires. The switch only has ten pins from it so there has to be something else in play. I reckon there's maybe a positive and negative to the switch then four wires to each side and the other wire from the mirrors goes to the heated rear screen switch. (Maybe :D)

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
gioTDI I am just looking to add power mirrors to my car. I hate not being able to adjust my mirrors with out putting down my windows. I no longer have the factory mirrors as the manual adjusters went bad. I then replaced the mirrors with stubby DTM style mirrors.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeh for sure, the wiring goes from the control unit which I think is incorporated into the window motor. My haynes manual is very limited, it doesn't even have the wiring diagram for the door without the electric window.

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Some one here has to have done this, the is Freds TDI Page, everything has been done here.