Mkiv brake light

TDI
Golf Mk4 1.9
If i press the brake pedal when the car is turned off (no keys in the ignition ) the brake light turns on.. is this normal or i have ground problem ?

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Normal. In my experience, many cars (all?) will do this; my 2005 wagon does this as well, so does daughter's 2014 Subaru. Kind of an emergency thing, like 4-way flashers in the US.

TDI
Golf Mk4 1.9
My old car did not do that (opel astra), so i was confused if its normal or not 🙂 Thanks!

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Normal in just about every car. Brake circuit is always powered
Surprisingly my eGolf, the brake lights don't work with the ignition off. Neither does the horn. And when the ignition is on, the horn is routed through either the ECU or some other module as there is a delay between the press and the time the horn is heard. It's weird.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
"... a delay between the press and the time the horn is heard..." Our 2015 MB Sprinter-based RV is the same. Most annoying. Damned computer controls everything these days; when you hit the horn button, all you're doing is sending a signal to the ECU, which then tells the horn to turn on.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Surprisingly my eGolf, the brake lights don't work with the ignition off. Neither does the horn. And when the ignition is on, the horn is routed through either the ECU or some other module as there is a delay between the press and the time the horn is heard. It's weird.
The EVs introduce a new level of power management logic. I can't speak for those, but maybe it's a power-saving approach or that the electric car can tell when it's moving or not even when "off".