MkIII parking brake cables loose

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
Hello, I have a mk3 98 Jetta. The parking brake equalizer plate doesn’t engage either cable then the parking brake is fully applied. It seems like the cables have been stretched. Does anyone know what the issue could be or does anyone have the same issue? Here is a pic of the cables from the center console.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Are those new? Or origional?
Have you taken the drumbs off?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
does not look obvious to me, the cables seem to be the wrong ones, did you get this car just recently? maybe they have snapped?
looking at things here. its clear you have one option... replacement!

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
does not look obvious to me, the cables seem to be the wrong ones, did you get this car just recently? maybe they have snapped?
looking at things here. its clear you have one option... replacement!
I got the car at the end of 2019 but I parked it soon after and haven’t driven it much until recently. Where would I get the cables and what would it take to swap them?

TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
Also from looking at the inside of the drums how would you tell what the issue would be?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Also from looking at the inside of the drums how would you tell what the issue would be?
not attached or bent arm for the ebrake,
It could be possible that the jacket around the ebrake cables is so far rusted out that the cable has pulled around the corner!
either way replace is the only option!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got the car at the end of 2019 but I parked it soon after and haven’t driven it much until recently. Where would I get the cables and what would it take to swap them?
any of our trusted vendor, German auto part .com, IDparts.com, ECS, Cascade, CariD, and some others i cant think of right now.
Germanautopart or IDpart are IMO the best for you, im biased though so shop around. Rockauto isnt bad for these types of things either but i like supporting our vendors. Rockauto has plenty of business so food for thought!