MK7 Timing Belt Interval

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I started doing some research on the MK7 timing belt interval and came up with this thread, wherein some suggest the interval is 100-200k and others say it'll last a lifetime. I highly doubt the latter is true, but what is the real life of the belt? I'm at 43k at the moment and planning ahead, and I'm still in the mindset of my old MK4 which was 70-80k.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The new oil pump drive is lifetime, because when if fails the engine is dead.
Of course the same applies to the timing belt as well, but they do give an interval, but the same thing holds true.l on it

Black Stick

TDI
Trend line
I remember talk of the belt lasting the life of the vehicle when this engine was first introduced by VW. My back street mechanic asked his contact at the VW dealer and was told that they have to break parts to get at the belt. Have over 100,000 on my Golf and will be at 130,000 miles by August 2017.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Somehow VW has problems keeping the oil pumps going.
The most important part for engine life is an afterthought

Black Stick

TDI
Trend line
So is it worth spending $800 for peace of mind, or risk breakage?
By the the time my Golf gets to the 130,000 miles mark we Canadian owners will also have the chance to sell the car back to VW or get the fix plus compensation. I will look at the options then. If the car is still totally reliable and enjoyable, I may take the compensation and fix route, and use some of that cash to change the belt.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I remember talk of the belt lasting the life of the vehicle when this engine was first introduced by VW. My back street mechanic asked his contact at the VW dealer and was told that they have to break parts to get at the belt. Have over 100,000 on my Golf and will be at 130,000 miles by August 2017.
The lower timing belt cover does have a small tab used for install at the factory that needs to be broken to remove. The erWin procedures show how to easily snap the plastic tab with a screwdriver, and it does not need to be replaced after breaking..just ensure that it's lined up when tightening it back down. I'm going to be replacing my water pump here in a few weeks as it seems to be weeping just a touch, so I'll get to see how involved that is.

As for the oil pump drive belt, I'd imagine if it were wearing the belt material would show up in an oil analysis?