MK7 TDI intercooler

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Is there any upgrades for the mk7 intercooler.

being from the mk4 and mk6 platform and new to the mk7 I see that the design has changed to a water cool exchange system for the IC.

anyone one have any insight.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
No upgrade needed, stock unit is very efficient! Here's pre/post intercooler temps during a log. 100C difference across the intercooler.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Seeing it's an MBQ platform, as previous S3 or OEM+ units that worked on the Mk6 should, anything for the mk7 should work.

There are countless aftermarket coolers for the R that should bolt up and fit up front, IC hoses and connections will be the sticking point.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The EA888 in the GTI/R use the an air-air intercooler vs air-water. The use of the air-water intercooler also creates a very short path for charge piping from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold/intercooler. Money better spent on turbo :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The EA888 in the GTI/R use the an air-air intercooler vs air-water. The use of the air-water intercooler also creates a very short path for charge piping from the turbo outlet to the intake manifold/intercooler. Money better spent on turbo :)
Agreed. That minimal intercooler/piping volume gives better boost response and is a very nice attribute. If anything, I would look at a larger heat exchanger for the factory air to water intercooler on a highly modified car.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
I can see how you could delete the water to air and go air to air like how it used to be and also like the golf r or gti i just wonder how much of a difference it would make specially one goes cr190.

Understanding some custom piping would be needed

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
A2A is better than A2W if you're pushing the limit especially on a track, especially seeing the platform supports massive aftermarket A2A inter coolers that have supported 500HP build. A2W will heat soak under constant load.

I'd think soon as you go larger turbo, monitor IAT and see where they hover, see if you need to make improvements. If I remember our 2012 Passat with A2W leveled off IAT at 200-230F on constant highway runs.

I'm sure the simplicity of the A2A will be better in the long run, less things to break, leak wear out. Obviously an A2W on a stock set up is great for that iced inter cooler issues the 09-14 TDI suffered from.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Any intercooler will heat soak in the right conditions. I don't think the ea288 intercooler is any more likely to heat soak than the ea189 intercooler. The op probably is not planning a 500 hp build. For anything under 300 hp , the money is better spent elsewhere.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Wonder if the mk7 tdi platform will ever be as modifiable as the mk4 platform was. I know a lot of things died down after the scandal.

Not really much options that i find for modifications. Cant really even find much info on the CR190 swap anymore. nor read about many people doing one.

Im curious if one does go to A2A what coding would be required. as he coolant pump for the A2W would have to be deactivated.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Unless you're planning a serious upgrade that is going to generate a ton of heat (greater than GTB2260), there is no reason to go through all that trouble. Coding out the aux water pump is easy. Cutting and capping all of the other coolant connections is going to be really fun, as well as coming up with a 100% custom intake manifold as the stock intercooler is integrated. Along with that would be deleting the high pressure EGR and throttle valve and their four coolant connections and electrics. Not to mention, adding a FMIC is going to add a ton of charge piping creating more lag (not a ton, but likely noticeable). The GTD1752vrk will be better than CR190 from a power and torque standpoint and still not need any additional charge cooling. I know a couple of tuners can probably speak to the efficiency of the A2W cooler on these motors to help justify my statement.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
What the differences between the cr190 amd the gtd1752?

Is the gtd1752 a direct R&R.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
CR190 is a GTD1449vz
GTD1752vrk is ceramic ball bearing and OE turbo for BMW 320d. It is not a direct drop in, but a kit is now available for the MK7 with everything needed so it's not a complete custom job.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
CR190 is a GTD1449vz
GTD1752vrk is ceramic ball bearing and OE turbo for BMW 320d. It is not a direct drop in, but a kit is now available for the MK7 with everything needed so it's not a complete custom job.
Darkside kit

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
^Yes
Wouldn't be surprised to see them post some results before I get mine dialed in...the luxury of an on-site tuner!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Malone is doing the tune. Car feels great so far, just working on boost control before being able to really dial up the power on the top end. Again, this is the first of these turbos on a MK7 so tuning is a work in progress!

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Malone is doing the tune. Car feels great so far, just working on boost control before being able to really dial up the power on the top end. Again, this is the first of these turbos on a MK7 so tuning is a work in progress!
Which kit you have? Also dsg or manual

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
Darkside kit and 6spd manual with DC stage 3 clutch, SMF, fluidampr and peloquin LSD. I'm done after this, haha!

How is the chatter on the bully smf? I remember my alh with a spec stage 3 with smf and it chattered like a tractor.

any reason peloquin over wavetrac?

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a SBC stage 3 (non-silent old design) w/ SMF on my '01 Jetta that sounds like a tractor as well! The new silent clutch disks get rid of virtually all of it. It will occasionally chatter but those times have become less frequent with mileage, and when it does it's still nothing compared to the older disks. I never ran the setup without the Fluidampr to compare, so can't say exactly how much that helped on the CRUA with its balance shafts. Peloquin had a "high-torque" version and was sold through the same vendor as the clutch, so it was just easy. It puts a smile on my face everytime I plant my foot through a corner :)