Mk7 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
2024.03.28 update (links to way later in this thread)

Winter is all but wrapped up here in the northern hemisphere, so what better time to post a heated-steering-wheel retrofit thread.

On a scale of "change the trim panel around your shifter" to "retrofit DCC", this skews much closer to the former. Big thanks to @Cuzoe for helping with parts and general "just-do-it"-ness, and this thread over at Vortex (that revolved a lot more around whether this would work in non-Climatronic cars, and had a lot of unknowns for a long time; hence this write-up).

Reader's Digest condensed version (note: North American GSW TDI Highline (SEL) trim, so has Climatronic - which may be a prerequisite):
  1. Get the parts: Steering wheel, clockspring, 18G wire, 14-pin connector (or adapter harness). VCDS needed to do some coding.
  2. Remove steering wheel (airbag first, of course; and whether you disconnect battery like you should or not, I will leave between you and your deity of choice) and trim around steering wheel, as well as lower under the dash to gain access to fuse panel.
  3. Tap 12V and add a ground wire.
  4. Move wires around on connector.
  5. Replace clockspring.
  6. Replace steering wheel.
  7. Flip two bits in two bytes.
  8. Turn it on.
Long-winded version:
Parts:
  • Steering wheel
    • There are many Mk7 heated steering wheels out there, off of Passat, Atlas, Tiguan, etc. Part number I order was 5G0419091FH (although my research indicated that 5G0419091AA or 5G0419091AB also have heating element). You can tell from photos of the SW that there's a little two-wire connector under the airbag.

The "...FH" that I ordered had shifter paddles, but my car's a 6MT, so I had to remove the bezel to get at the screws that hold in the paddles, but having done that a few times in the past, it's pretty easy.
  • Clockspring:
    • This is the part that had me confounded for the longest time. What you're looking for is a clockspring that has the heating element connector (accepts the above-mentioned two-wire connector from the steering wheel).
      • @Cuzoe (who I thank for his research and help, but also question (myself, if not him) for goading me into half of these retrofits....and then subsequently thank profusely again once I get it all together and working :D ) discovered that NAR cars (Mk7 Golf anyway) most typically have Valeo signal / wiper stalks, and thus come stock with a 5Q0953569A clockspring. Therefore, the proper clockspring for our cars is 5Q0953569B (since superseded by 5Q0953569C, if you're ordering a dealer).
        (Edit: See @Cuzoe's post below where he goes into excellent detail on clocksprings)
        (Part number on the stalks in my car, which I did not remove or change:
      • The other potential option is 5Q0953549D - which is much cheaper (at least in the USA - around $200 from the dealer, but for some reason, over $600 in Canada?!). These are apparently spec'd on RoW cars, and are paired with stalks made by Costal.
        (which can be had for as little as $60-$80 on eBay or ProxyParts or the like. Aliexpress also has the 5Q0953549D for about $100USD, so buying clockspring + stalks might be less expensive in some instances.
        General rule of thumb from what I've gathered: Do a scan of the car, and if the Module 16 - Steering Wheel returns a *569 part number, stick with *569 (B or C). If your scan returns *549, stick with *549 ("D" seems to be the appropriate appendage).

(Comparison of the *569A clockspring that came stock on my car, and the replacement *569B - note the heater connection on the face, as well as the two heavier wiring pins on the *569B on the right).

Stock *569A clockspring on left; heated *569B on right
  • Wiring:
    • Our NAR cars come with a 16-pin connector on the clockspring (5Q0953569A), while the heated SW clockspring has a 14-pin connector, where two of the pins are much heavier-gauge (for the heating element wires).
    • I purchased a wiring adapter harness from Kufatec, but once I got it, saw what it was and what needed to be done, realized I could've saved myself ~$100USD by doing it myself. You'd need a 14-pin connector (5Q0972726), repair wire terminals for those two heavier-gauge wires (dealer from whom you'd order the 5Q0972726 connector should be able to tell you what terminal you'd need), and then transfer the other wires from the pre-existing 16-pin connector to the newer 14-pin iteration. (image taken from this post/thread over at the 'tex; big thanks to the folks there for providing inspiration that this was do-able)

Or, put another way (colors may vary); stock = 16-pin:
      • Pin 1 (16-pin) red/white to Pin 2 (14-pin)
      • Pin 2 (16-pin) brown to Pin 4 (14-pin)
      • Pin 3 (16-pin) orange/brown to Pin 5 (14-pin)
      • Pin 4 (16-pin) orange/green to 6 (14-pin)
      • Pin 5 (16-pin) black/white to Pin 7 (14-pin)
      • Pin 6 (16-pin) black/red (if existing) to Pin 13 (14-pin)
      • Pin 7 (16-pin) purple/red to Pin 12 (14-pin)
      • Pin 8 (16- pin) purple/blue to Pin 14 (14-pin)
      • Pin 11 (16-pin) blue/grey to Pin 9 (14-pin)
      • Pin 14 (16-pin) black/grey to Pin 10 (14-pin)
      • Pin 16 (16-pin) black to Pin 11 (14-pin)
    • The only additional wires needed are +12V from a Terminal 30 connection, and ground.
      • Factory position is adding a fuse at position SC2, but that looks like a LOT of work, so I took the path of much lesser resistance (electricity pun not intended) and simply used a "add a circuit" fuse tap on SC24 (30A fuse for sunroof and sunshade - chances of me overloading that by using both of those at the same time I'm using heated steering wheel are fairly slim.
      • Ground wire I attached to one of the 10mm bolts that secures the fuse panel to the supporting metal substructure.
        Showing SC 24 position (disregard fuse tap in this photo; that's from a different retrofit)

• Fuse tap added; ground wire attached to bolt similar to the grey bolt in upper-left
  • Coding:
    • Really not much to it.
      (This was probably helped significantly by the fact that I was using used parts. I don't know how much (if any) parameterization would be necessary with new-new parts, but used were cheaper ($300 for SW; $150 for clockspring, half of which was shipping...which took three weeks🤬), and worked well for me.)
      • Module 08 (HVAC) - Coding - Long Coding Helper (and say "yes" to the "trying experimental features" to see more descriptions of bits)
        • Byte11: Add check to bit2 and bit3 (not sure that bit3 does anything, but I figured, why not)

• Byte13: Not sure if this adds anything, but I turned those bytes on as well.
  • Activating:
    • Note: Car has to be running for heated seats and heated SW to heat up; simply turning on ignition will not activate those heaters
    • Press MENU button on HVAC controls (embarrassingly, as I was trying to get the heated SW option to show up in my MIB display, and being completely dumbfounded as to how to possibly do that, I had no idea this button existed, despite looking directly at it every time I've adjusted the heat or fan speed 🤦‍♂️).
    • Anyway, once you press that, you should get the steering wheel icon showing up at the bottom of the screen. Most likely white (off).
      Give it a tap, it turns yellow, and in a couple minutes, you've got heat!

• And this can be verified in the Advanced Measuring Values of Module-16 (Steering Wheel):
Happy hot hands!

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I'm not going to quote @Nuje's full post... But f***ing awesome work and write-up. For the curious folks, this info is sort of spread across the internet, in various languages and with lots of un-clarity about getting it done.

Now, I would say with confidence that this post is the definitive how-to for NAR Golfs. I've been looking for this for years, literally. Being in LA (and until recently having never been in a car with one) a heated wheel was low on my "priority" list. I was interested, and had several bookmarks, but was unlikely to ever pursue it.

If @Nuje wasn't serious about getting it done, and willing to order several parts from around the country/world to experiment this would still be spoken about in hushed internet tones, haha.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the kind words, man! And seriously, your assistance with this helped a lot in getting to the finish line.

In the event anyone is interested in the sordid details of me tracking down a clockspring, click the spoiler button below.
So, I'd become reasonably confident that I needed the *569B clockspring. Not many out there, particularly in North America - like zero as far as I could find. The superseded part number was *569C, and there seemed to be a few more of those available, although typically well over $200USD, plus shipping.
But I found a seller on eBay who listed one at $60USD, plus $20 shipping from Latvia (or Lithuania? - one of those). Fair enough. He even messaged me to confirm what I needed - and I said "heated steering wheel, needs to be part number 5Q0953569C". Great - get shipping notification. Wait 10 days or so. Shows up (I have to pay another $20 or so in import fees, but all's good!

...until I open the box. And inside is a 5Q0953549 ?! Not even a clockspring with a heating connector so I could see if it fit.
File appeal with eBay and thankfully, get full refund (item plus shipping) within a couple days. But still - need a clockspring.

So, I say screw it - go to my local VW dealer, they look in the computer and there's exactly ONE *569C in North America - albeit in Los Angeles. So, I tell them to bring it in - tired of messing around with what might be wrong or broken parts, even though it's just shy of $300USD.

Wait a couple weeks for that to show up. Get that call that it's in. (YAY!) Head down to the dealer, lay down the plastic and bring it home. Get all the trim tools lined up and ready to go, but decide to open the box (with at least four stickers on it with the *569C part number on it) just before I pop off the airbag and start pulling off trim panels. And inside....brand new 569A. Same friggin' part number that's already on my car. 🤬
Immediately take it back to the dealer - they're over-the-top apologetic (totally not their fault - someone in LA bought a 569C then did a return, putting a 569A in the box. They offer to bring in another one - from Germany this time. ETA: anywhere between three and twenty weeks. I give 'em the green light, but then go back to ProxyParts.

But then around this time @Cuzoe tells me VAG Retrofit has assured him that the *549D clockspring will work on our cars. Double- and triple-checked.
At the same time, an outfit at ProxyParts decides that they will indeed ship to Canada, and they have a number of *569B sitting €59 plus €50 shipping. Well, good price - shipping's ridiculous, but at least it'll get here quickly. Send payment. Three days later I get shipping confirmation (Dutch postal....€50....for something roughly the size and weight of a headlight switch?!) .

Anyway, it seems to move through the Netherlands in about four days, then "item has departed country" and nothing.....for one week....(and at this point, I say screw it - take the VAG Retrofit advice and order in a *549D from Aliexpress as a backup...who knows?)....then another week....then most of another week, and then finally, Canada Post confirms they have it, and then I'm away for a few days and it gets delivered.
The ring wasn't locked / tied down (ugh), but otherwise seemed good. Figured worst case, I'll install it, check what VCDS has to say about its orientation and rotate if need be. And indeed when I installed it, reported orientation was less than 360° out, so figured it was on the proper rotation, and like stated in my initial post, upon initial driving...all good.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Small update: Even though it's not cold-cold here (10°C/50°F), having the heated steering wheel is still a really nice feature - I'm appreciating it much more than I thought I would, to the point that if I could only keep heated seats or the wheel....it'd be a tough call!

Also, found that I do indeed have options for multi-level heating (tap SETUP once in the HVAC menu):

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
Did either of you have any Cruise Control System (CCS) issues? I did this retrofit and everything and got the flashing glow plug on my dashboard. When I turn off my CCS using VCDS, the light turns off on my dashboard so I know it's related to CCS. What's weird is when I check if my MFSW buttons related to CCS, it is picking up the signal in my CANBUS. Any idea what the error might be?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have ACC (another retrofit), and no issues.
Maybe look at the coding that you have for cruise control in both the Steering Wheel and/or Convenience (can't remember which one of those it's in) and/or Engine modules - try a different option there....? (Yes - even though it worked properly before the heated SW; I've seen stranger things. 🤷‍♂️)

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
I have ACC (another retrofit), and no issues.
Maybe look at the coding that you have for cruise control in both the Steering Wheel and/or Convenience (can't remember which one of those it's in) and/or Engine modules - try a different option there....? (Yes - even though it worked properly before the heated SW; I've seen stranger things. 🤷‍♂️)
Yeah I tried all the CC options in the engine module, but nothing worked. When I get the chance to get on my computer later, I'll post my VCDS scan before and after.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Did either of you have any Cruise Control System (CCS) issues? I did this retrofit and everything and got the flashing glow plug on my dashboard. When I turn off my CCS using VCDS, the light turns off on my dashboard so I know it's related to CCS. What's weird is when I check if my MFSW buttons related to CCS, it is picking up the signal in my CANBUS. Any idea what the error might be?
I haven't completed this retrofit yet... but strange issue. There are lots of google results for a cruise control problem being indicated via flashing glow plug light though. In most of those cases it was a brake switch at fault. Apparently our ECU's, when missing a necessary input for the cruise control system, will flash the glow plug light.

Since you would have replaced the clock spring for this retrofit my guess is that something went awry with the switching from 16 pin plug to 14 pin plug. See the table in @Nuje's first post. Possibly something is mis-pinned or a pin didn't lock properly and was pushed back when you connected everything.

You have can bus wiring through the clock spring (which goes to BCM, Gateway, ECU, wherever else). If this is good you could still see the cruise control buttons working via can, as you mentioned. But you also have a "cruise control" wire that goes through the clock spring and to the ECU. If your pins and wiring changes look good I would suspect you have a faulty replacement clock spring.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@Cuzoe's post above just jogged my memory about a snippet of info that was included with the wiring harness instructions I got from Kufatec.
Important note: If your vehicle is already equipped with ACC and your vehicle's system shows an error regarding ACC after the installation, a cable has to be re-arranged in the following way:
When working on the airbag you have to follow the manufacturer's specifications
Working on airbags is only allowed to be done by protessional personnel
  • Remove the cable from Pin 8 of the yellow 12-pole plug. It is located on the back side of the steering wheel airbag.
  • Pin the cable that was detached from Pin 8 to Pin 11
Now, this does specify "ACC", but given the translation accuracy/wording in other sections of the document...possible that they mean any version of the Cruise Control System (?).

If doing this, I would definitely recommend detaching the battery's ground cable before re-plugging the airbag once the wire's been moved.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I did email back and forth with Kufatec and they confirmed that it's specific for Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and not CCS.

@Cuzoe, do you know which PIN is associated with the "cruise control" wire that goes form the clock spring to the ECU? I tried looking through the electrical diagrams and couldn't figure it out.

Below is the fault under 01-Engine:

1 Fault Found:
17149 - Check Coding of ECUs on Powertrain Data Bus
P1647 00 [167] - -
[Checking coding/versions of control modules in drivetrain]
MIL ON - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 94492 km
Date: 2022.02.27
Time: 16:39:57

Engine RPM: 771.50 /min
Normed load value: 31.4 %
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 59 °C
Intake air temperature: 29 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1000 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.180 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
ACC variants-Bits 0-7: 0
CCS Switch-Bits 0-7: 2
Cruise control switch actuation-Bits 0-7: 0
Cruise control switch actuation-Bits 0-7: 32
ACC variants (coding)-Bits 0-7: 1
Acceleration: 0.000 m/s²

Readiness: 0 0 0 1 0

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
The only other thing I could think of is that I used a steering wheel (SW) that has all buttons as my original SW plus an ACC button (see image below). Is it possible the new SW expects the CCS to be wired different than my original SW?

5GM419091DE74 (Orig) > 3QF419091KE74 (New)

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
VCDS Before Retrofit
Saturday,29,January,2022,11:10:44:10731
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 21.9.0.2 (x64) HEX-V2 CB: 0.4555.4
Data version: 20210903 DS330.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

Chassis Type: AU-VW37 (5Q0)
Scan: 01 03 05 08 09 15 16 17 19 2B 42 44 47 52 5F 75

01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
2B-Steer. Col. Lock -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
75-Telematics -- Status: OK 0000
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine (J623-CRUA) Labels:. 04L-907-309-V1.clb
Part No SW: 04L 997 022 M HW: 04L 907 309
Component: R4 2.0l TDI X23 9458
Revision: 85X23--- CVN: 500D7A2038D3FF82
Coding: 01190012032410081000
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01104L997022M 004002
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01104L997022M.rod
VCID: 3A2E38150CDD076BA95-806E
VINID: 0E69D6447465A167450082081084312FDD

No fault code found.

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 5Q0-907-379-ESP-V1.clb
Part No SW: 3Q0 907 379 P HW: 3Q0 907 379 C
Component: ESC H32 0385
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 50575000001104
Coding: 04FA6AA124200974007F020881C72520562490004081A4B200630050C002
Shop #: WSC 01383 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_Brake1UDSContiMK100ESP 034033
ROD: EV_Brake1UDSContiMK100ESP_034_VW37.rod
VCID: 47C851E14F2F6A8326B-8012

No fault code found.

Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. (J518) Labels:| 5Q0-959-435.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 435 A HW: 5Q0 959 435
Component: VWKESSYMQB 021 0604
Revision: 00021000 Serial number: 0361037210
Coding: 030C0C
ASAM Dataset: EV_KessyHellaMQBAB 002011
ROD: EV_KessyHellaMQBAB_002.rod

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J301) Labels:| 5G0-907-426.clb
Part No SW: 5GM 907 426 A HW: 5GM 907 426 A
Component: AC Manuell H02 1001
Revision: 00001K01
Coding: 02020104202100000000000010000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ACManueBHBVW37X 003019
ROD: EV_ACManueBHBVW37X_003.rod
VCID: 46D65CE54825738BDDD-8012

Fresh air blower control module (front):

A/C pressure/coolant temperature sensor:

No fault code found.

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels:| 5Q0-937-08X-HV1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 937 087 R HW: 5Q0 937 087 R
Component: BCM PQ37BOSCH 028 0145
Revision: -------- Serial number: 86582502150747
Coding: 005108464041826969E44000001407001802000000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 00076
ASAM Dataset: EV_BodyContrModul1UDSBosc 014004
ROD: EV_BCMBOSCH_014.rod
VCID: 4ACE68D55C3D97EB395-801E

Wiper motor control module:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5GM 955 119 HW: 5GM 955 119 Labels: 5QX-955-119-V1.CLB
Component: WWS 150118 043 0581
Serial number: 150402063441
Coding: 0E4DDD

Rain/Light Recognition Sensor:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5Q0 955 559 A HW: 5Q0 955 559 A Labels: 5Q0-955-547.CLB
Component: RLS 037 0059
Serial number: S3Y15M02D07H15M45S24
Coding: 06A8DD

Sunroof control module:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 591 A HW: 8V3 959 591 A
Component: J245 PS22.409 H03 0004
Serial number: 0000FST0004E7J800000
Coding: 191800

Roof shade control module:
Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 591 A HW: 8V3 959 591 A
Component: J394 PS22.409 H03 0004
Serial number: 0000FST0004E7H600000

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags (J234) Labels:| 5Q0-959-655.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 655 J HW: 5Q0 959 655 J
Component: AirbagVW20 009 0825
Serial number: 003GCR01CPKU
Coding: 8CCCFC00000000005000001AC24800000065
ASAM Dataset: EV_AirbaVW20SMEVW37X 002138
ROD: EV_AirbaVW20SMEVW37X_VW37.rod

Seat occupied recognition passenger side:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 4M0 959 339 B HW: 4M0 959 339 B
Component: BF-Gewichtss. H10 0021
Serial number: IBH0000J150002LB8G00
Coding: 303135

Crash sensor for side airbag: driver side:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 003 001 15
Component: SideSensor_Df 001 0887
Serial number: 35700000000359E4521F
Coding: 2D2D2D

Front Passenger's Side Airbag Crash Sensor:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 000 302 15
Component: SideSensor_Pf 001 0887
Serial number: 3580000000026171031.

Rear Side Airbag Crash Sensor (on driver's side):
Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 400 302 15
Component: SideSensor_Dr 001 6149
Serial number: 3510002C3196FF50B103

Passenger side rear thorax airbag crash sensor:
Subsystem 5 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 400 601 15
Component: SideSensor_Pr 001 6149
Serial number: 3520002A51901DA5935/

Crash sensor for front airbag: driver side:
Subsystem 6 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 400 302 15
Component: FrontSensor_D 001 6149
Serial number: 3550002B1196FF54E1AL

Crash sensor for front airbag: front passenger side:
Subsystem 7 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 400 302 15
Component: FrontSensor_P 001 6149
Serial number: 3560002B7196FF53935J

No fault code found.

Address 16: Steering wheel (J524) Labels:| 5Q0-953-549.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 953 521 AT HW: 5Q0 953 569 A
Component: Lenks.Modul 075 0175
Revision: FF032032 Serial number: 20150224500929
Coding: 0400
Shop #: WSC 66564 385 16448
ASAM Dataset: EV_SMLSVALEOMQB 001015
ROD: EV_SMLSVALEOMQB.rod
VCID: 045286ED3E99819B839-8050

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels:| 5G0-920-XXX-17.clb-SRI3
Part No SW: 5G1 920 841 HW: 5G1 920 841
Component: KOMBI 243 4270
Coding: 0BA512122180CF0502087A001000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 00202
ASAM Dataset: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB 009037
ROD: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB_009_VW26.rod
VCID: 6594BB69D5E35893347-8030

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels:| 5Q0-907-530-V1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 AB HW: 5Q0 907 530 L
Component: GW MQB Mid 211 2203
Revision: -------- Serial number: 01031510001175
Coding: 0901000800087300EF000008080F00000001050000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 07026
GVL: 01503C0000000600400C00008000480000000000000000000000000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewConti 011020
ROD: EV_GatewConti_011.rod
VCID: 71BCDF39112B843358F-8024

Generator:

Multifunction steering wheel control module:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 442 P HW: 5G0 959 442 P Labels: 3C8-959-537.CLB
Component: E221__MFL-DC1 H16 0101
Serial number: 29150000484150095112
Coding: 30FFFF

Inverter for electrical outlet:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 5Q0 907 155 A HW: 5Q0 907 155 A
Component: WECHSELRICHTE H53 0041
Serial number: 0034975

No fault code found.

Address 2B: Steer. Col. Lock (J764) Labels:* 5Q0-905-861.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 905 861 A HW: 5Q0 905 861 A
Component: ELV-MQBA H01 0120
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 15000041295001
Coding: 5500000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ELVMarquMQB 004111
ROD: EV_ELVMarquMQB.rod
VCID: 3432162D2EB9F11B739-8060

No fault code found.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (J386) Labels:| 5QX-959-X93-42.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 393 B HW: 5Q0 959 393 B
Component: TSG FS 020 0025
Serial number: 170315060505EA
Coding: 003013200000040000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMINKLO 006003
ROD: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMAXCONT.rod
VCID: 3E26340510F52B4B95D-806A

Rear Driver Side Door Control Module:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q4 959 811 D HW: 5Q4 959 811 D Labels: 5QX-959-81X-V1.CLB
Component: Fond FHSG DRV 007 0002
Serial number: 00000000000000890081
Coding: 011000

No fault code found.

Address 44: Steering Assist (J500) Labels:| 5Q0-909-144.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 909 144 R HW: 5Q0 909 144 R
Component: EPS_MQB_ZFLS 126 1061
Coding: 0102
ASAM Dataset: EV_SteerAssisMQB 012140
ROD: EV_SteerAssisMQB_012_VW37.rod
VCID: 43D045F17B1746A3FA3-8016

No fault code found.

Address 47: Sound System (J525) Labels:| 5Q0-035-456.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 035 456 HW: 5Q0 035 456
Component: MIB2_lite_amp H20 0150
Revision: 00000001 Serial number: VWZ8Z1GBA01TJZ5
Coding: 2200000002AAAAAA000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_AMPMst12C1Gen2ALPI 001003
ROD: EV_AMPMst12C1Gen2ALPI.rod
VCID: 6D84C3490D1360D37C7-8038

No fault code found.

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass. (J387) Labels:| 5QX-959-X92-52.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 392 B HW: 5Q0 959 392 B
Component: TSG BFS 020 0025
Serial number: 110315060508GJ
Coding: 003013200C00040000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCUPasseSideEWMINKLO 006003
ROD: EV_DCUPasseSideEWMAXCONT.rod
VCID: 3D2433091DF330538C7-8068

Rear Passenger Door Control Module:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q4 959 812 D HW: 5Q4 959 812 D Labels: 5QX-959-81X-V1.CLB
Component: Fond FHSG PSG 007 0002
Serial number: 00000000000000852975
Coding: 091000

No fault code found.

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-STD2.clb
Part No SW: 3Q0 035 844 HW: 3Q0 035 844
Component: MU-S-S-US 620 0613
Serial number:
Coding: 027302000000000051220002001800001F0100B40120010000
Shop #: WSC 51200 002 104857
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CDELP 001001
ROD: EV_MUStd4CDELP_VW26.rod
VCID: 6C82CE4D360969DB6B9-8038

Display and control head 1 for information electronics:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G6 919 605 A HW: 5G6 919 605 A
Component: ABT_Std-2 H50 8130
Serial number: VWZ6ZJV0360927

1 Fault Found:
0020 - Tuner for Satellite Radio
B11CF 53 [009] - Deactivated
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 4
Reset counter: 212
Mileage: 94033 km
Date: 2022.01.20
Time: 17:39:55

Voltage terminal 30: 14.5 V
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Satellite radio antenna status: electrically OK
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Channel selection for satellite radio: 0
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Audio Signal: available.
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Antenna current: 125 mA
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Reception quality: optimum_signal
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Satellite radio tuner: pre-activation status: 05
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Satellite radio tuner: pre-activation value: 05

Address 75: Telematics (J949) Labels:| 5QE-035-285.clb
Part No SW: 5QE 035 285 A HW: 5QE 035 285 A
Component: OCULowMQBUS 007 0564
Coding: 02730202C2823A017F1E06000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 00323
ASAM Dataset: EV_OCULowMQB 001003
ROD: EV_OCULowMQB.rod

No fault code found.

End----------(Elapsed Time: 01:30, VBatt start/end: 14.8V/14.4V)-----------
VCDS After Retrofit
Saturday,26,February,2022,00:10:04:10731
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 21.9.0.2 (x64) HEX-V2 CB: 0.4555.4
Data version: 20210903 DS330.0
www.Ross-Tech.com

Chassis Type: AU-VW37 (5Q0)
Scan: 01 03 05 08 09 15 16 17 19 2B 42 44 47 52 5F 75

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
05-Acc/Start Auth. -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
2B-Steer. Col. Lock -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
47-Sound System -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
75-Telematics -- Status: OK 0000
Address 01: Engine (J623-CRUA) Labels:. 04L-907-309-V1.clb
Part No SW: 04L 997 022 M HW: 04L 907 309
Component: R4 2.0l TDI X23 9458
Revision: 85X23--- CVN: 500D7A2038D3FF82
Coding: 01190012032410081000
Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ECM20TDI01104L997022M 004002
ROD: EV_ECM20TDI01104L997022M.rod
VINID: 0E69D6447465A167450082081084312FDD

1 Fault Found:
17149 - Check Coding of ECUs on Powertrain Data Bus
P1647 00 [175] - -
[Checking coding/versions ofcontrol modules in drivetrain]
MIL ON - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 94472 km
Date: 2022.02.25
Time: 23:29:53

Engine RPM: 768.50 /min
Normed load value: 22.7 %
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 90 °C
Intake air temperature: 49 °C
Ambient air pressure: 1010 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 14.580 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
ACC variants-Bits 0-7: 0
CCS Switch-Bits 0-7: 2
Cruise control switch actuation-Bits 0-7: 0
Cruise control switch actuation-Bits 0-7: 32
ACC variants (coding)-Bits 0-7: 1
Acceleration: 0.000 m/s²

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 5Q0-907-379-ESP-V1.clb
Part No SW: 3Q0 907 379 P HW: 3Q0 907 379 C
Component: ESC H32 0385
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 50575000001104
Coding: 04FA6AA124200974007F020881C72520562490004081A4B200630050C002
ASAM Dataset: EV_Brake1UDSContiMK100ESP 034033
ROD: EV_Brake1UDSContiMK100ESP_034_VW37.rod

No fault code found.

Address 05: Acc/Start Auth. (J518) Labels:| 5Q0-959-435.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 435 A HW: 5Q0 959 435
Component: VWKESSYMQB 021 0604
Revision: 00021000 Serial number: 0361037210
Coding: 030C0C
ASAM Dataset: EV_KessyHellaMQBAB 002011
ROD: EV_KessyHellaMQBAB_002.rod

No fault code found.

Address 08: Auto HVAC (J301) Labels:| 5G0-907-426.clb
Part No SW: 5GM 907 426 A HW: 5GM 907 426 A
Component: AC Manuell H02 1001
Revision: 00001K01
Coding: 02020104202100000000000C10000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ACManueBHBVW37X 003019
ROD: EV_ACManueBHBVW37X_003.rod
VCID: 46D65CE54825738BDDD-8012

Fresh air blower control module (front):

A/C pressure/coolant temperature sensor:

1 Fault Found:
329220 - Motor for Air Distribution Flap
B109D 71 [008] - Actuator Stuck
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Reset counter: 9
Time: 23:46:28

Voltage terminal 30: 11.3 V
Outside temperature: 6.0 °C
Air distribution flap: actual value: 0.0 %
Air distribution flap: actual value: 187
Air distribution flap: specified value: 78

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels:| 5Q0-937-08X-HV1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 937 087 R HW: 5Q0 937 087 R
Component: BCM PQ37BOSCH 028 0145
Revision: -------- Serial number: 86582502150747
Coding: 005108464041826969E44000001407001802000000000000000000000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 00076
ASAM Dataset: EV_BodyContrModul1UDSBosc 014004
ROD: EV_BCMBOSCH_014.rod
VCID: 4ACE68D55C3D97EB395-801E

Wiper motor control module:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5GM 955 119 HW: 5GM 955 119 Labels: 5QX-955-119-V1.CLB
Component: WWS 150118 043 0581
Serial number: 150402063441
Coding: 0E4DDD

Rain/Light Recognition Sensor:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5Q0 955 559 A HW: 5Q0 955 559 A Labels: 5Q0-955-547.CLB
Component: RLS 037 0059
Serial number: S3Y15M02D07H15M45S24
Coding: 06A8DD

Sunroof control module:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 591 A HW: 8V3 959 591 A
Component: J245 PS22.409 H03 0004
Serial number: 0000FST0004E7J800000

Roof shade control module:
Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 591 A HW: 8V3 959 591 A
Component: J394 PS22.409 H03 0004
Serial number: 0000FST0004E7H600000

No fault code found.

Address 15: Airbags (J234) Labels:| 5Q0-959-655.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 655 J HW: 5Q0 959 655 J
Component: AirbagVW20 009 0825
Serial number: 003GCR01CPKU
Coding: 8CCCFC00000000005000001AC24800000065
ASAM Dataset: EV_AirbaVW20SMEVW37X 002138
ROD: EV_AirbaVW20SMEVW37X_VW37.rod

Seat occupied recognition passenger side:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 4M0 959 339 B HW: 4M0 959 339 B
Component: BF-Gewichtss. H10 0021
Serial number: IBH0000J150002LB8G00
Coding: 303135

Crash sensor for side airbag: driver side:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 003 001 15
Component: SideSensor_Df 001 0887
Serial number: 35700000000359E4521F

Front Passenger's Side Airbag Crash Sensor:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 000 302 15
Component: SideSensor_Pf 001 0887
Serial number: 3580000000026171031.

Rear Side Airbag Crash Sensor (on driver's side):
Subsystem 4 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 400 302 15
Component: SideSensor_Dr 001 6149
Serial number: 3510002C3196FF50B103

Passenger side rear thorax airbag crash sensor:
Subsystem 5 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 400 601 15
Component: SideSensor_Pr 001 6149
Serial number: 3520002A51901DA5935/

Crash sensor for front airbag: driver side:
Subsystem 6 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 400 302 15
Component: FrontSensor_D 001 6149
Serial number: 3550002B1196FF54E1AL

Crash sensor for front airbag: front passenger side:
Subsystem 7 - Part No SW: ----------- HW: 480 400 302 15
Component: FrontSensor_P 001 6149
Serial number: 3560002B7196FF53935J

No fault code found.

Part No SW: 3Q0 953 521 EG HW: 5Q0 953 569 B
Component: Lenks.Modul 100 0205
Revision: FF034034 Serial number: 20160412500847
Coding: 0400
Shop #: WSC 00015 115 00001
ASAM Dataset: EV_SMLSVALEOMQBLRH 001009
ROD: EV_SMLSVALEOMQBLRH.rod
VCID: 79ACE719495BCC73E0F-802C

No fault code found.

Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels:| 5G0-920-XXX-17.clb-SRI3
Part No SW: 5G1 920 841 HW: 5G1 920 841
Component: KOMBI 243 4270
Coding: 0BA512122180CF0502087A001000000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB 009037
ROD: EV_DashBoardVDDMQBAB_009_VW26.rod
VCID: 6594BB69D5E35893347-8030

No fault code found.

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels:| 5Q0-907-530-V1.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 530 AB HW: 5Q0 907 530 L
Component: GW MQB Mid 211 2203
Revision: -------- Serial number: 01031510001175
Coding: 0901000800087300EF000008080F00000001050000000000000000000000
GVL: 01503C0000000600400C00008000480000000000000000000000000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_GatewConti 011020
ROD: EV_GatewConti_011.rod
VCID: 71BCDF39112B843358F-8024

Generator:

Multifunction steering wheel control module:
Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 5G0 959 442 R HW: 5G0 959 442 R Labels: 3C8-959-537.CLB
Component: E221__MFL-DC1 H17 0040
Serial number: 33180001118580121439
Coding: 2CFFFF

Inverter for electrical outlet:
Subsystem 3 - Part No SW: 5Q0 907 155 A HW: 5Q0 907 155 A
Component: WECHSELRICHTE H53 0041
Serial number: 0034975

No fault code found.

Address 2B: Steer. Col. Lock (J764) Labels:* 5Q0-905-861.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 905 861 A HW: 5Q0 905 861 A
Component: ELV-MQBA H01 0120
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 15000041295001
Coding: 5500000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_ELVMarquMQB 004111
ROD: EV_ELVMarquMQB.rod
VCID: 3432162D2EB9F11B739-8060

No fault code found.

Address 42: Door Elect, Driver (J386) Labels:| 5QX-959-X93-42.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 393 B HW: 5Q0 959 393 B
Component: TSG FS 020 0025
Serial number: 170315060505EA
Coding: 003013200000040000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMINKLO 006003
ROD: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMAXCONT.rod
VCID: 3E26340510F52B4B95D-806A

Rear Driver Side Door Control Module:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q4 959 811 D HW: 5Q4 959 811 D Labels: 5QX-959-81X-V1.CLB
Component: Fond FHSG DRV 007 0002
Serial number: 00000000000000890081
Coding: 011000

No fault code found.

Address 44: Steering Assist (J500) Labels:| 5Q0-909-144.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 909 144 R HW: 5Q0 909 144 R
Component: EPS_MQB_ZFLS 126 1061
Coding: 0102
ASAM Dataset: EV_SteerAssisMQB 012140
ROD: EV_SteerAssisMQB_012_VW37.rod

No fault code found.

Address 47: Sound System (J525) Labels:| 5Q0-035-456.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 035 456 HW: 5Q0 035 456
Component: MIB2_lite_amp H20 0150
Revision: 00000001 Serial number: VWZ8Z1GBA01TJZ5
Coding: 2200000002AAAAAA000000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_AMPMst12C1Gen2ALPI 001003
ROD: EV_AMPMst12C1Gen2ALPI.rod
VCID: 6D84C3490D1360D37C7-8038

No fault code found.

Address 52: Door Elect, Pass. (J387) Labels:| 5QX-959-X92-52.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 959 392 B HW: 5Q0 959 392 B
Component: TSG BFS 020 0025
Serial number: 110315060508GJ
Coding: 003013200C00040000000000
ASAM Dataset: EV_DCUPasseSideEWMINKLO 006003
ROD: EV_DCUPasseSideEWMAXCONT.rod
VCID: 3D2433091DF330538C7-8068

Rear Passenger Door Control Module:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q4 959 812 D HW: 5Q4 959 812 D Labels: 5QX-959-81X-V1.CLB
Component: Fond FHSG PSG 007 0002
Serial number: 00000000000000852975
Coding: 091000

No fault code found.

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794) Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-STD2.clb
Part No SW: 3Q0 035 844 HW: 3Q0 035 844
Component: MU-S-S-US 620 0613
Serial number:
Coding: 027302000000000051220002001800001F0100B40120010000
Shop #: WSC 51200 002 104857
ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CDELP 001001
ROD: EV_MUStd4CDELP_VW26.rod
VCID: 6C82CE4D360969DB6B9-8038

Display and control head 1 for information electronics:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5G6 919 605 A HW: 5G6 919 605 A
Component: ABT_Std-2 H50 8130
Serial number: VWZ6ZJV0360927

1 Fault Found:
0020 - Tuner for Satellite Radio
B11CF 53 [009] - Deactivated
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 4
Reset counter: 224
Time: 23:30:06

Voltage terminal 30: 14.5 V
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Satellite radio antenna status: electrically OK
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Channel selection for satellite radio: 0
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Audio Signal: available.
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Antenna current: 126 mA
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Reception quality: optimum_signal
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Satellite radio tuner: pre-activation status: 05
SDARS_tuner_status_2-Satellite radio tuner: pre-activation value: 05

Address 75: Telematics (J949) Labels:| 5QE-035-285.clb
Part No SW: 5QE 035 285 A HW: 5QE 035 285 A
Component: OCULowMQBUS 007 0564
Coding: 02730202C2823A017F1E06000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 790 00323
ASAM Dataset: EV_OCULowMQB 001003
ROD: EV_OCULowMQB.rod

No fault code found.

End----------(Elapsed Time: 01:30, VBatt start/end: 14.6V/14.4V)-----------

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wait - does your new steering wheel have the ACC buttons (the little car icon and lines below it as the centre button)?
If that's the case....there's the issue. ACC buttons won't work with regular ol' CCS (ask me how I know 🤦‍♂️).

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If that is the case, swapping buttons is pretty easy, although somewhat nerve-racking the first time you do it because getting that plastic bezel released from the steering wheel take some serious prying and pulling and you feel you're going to break something for sure....and maybe you will snap a pin or two, but there's more than enough holding power to withstand a couple of missing posts.

A couple or three plastic pry tools, good strong fingers, start at the bottom of the steering wheel bezel and start prying upward. With the airbag out, you can see the little "arrow-head" posts that hold the steering wheel in the firmfoam of the steering wheel innards.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
This is good to know! Going to swap the buttons between the two steering wheels and see if that resolves the problem.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Ohhh... yes. Different buttons for cruise control and adaptive cruise control. And about buttons, the Golf has different buttons from a GTI/R, ask me how I know 🤦🏿‍♂️🤣.

And as for which wire goes to the ECU, it's the one named "cruise control" from the table in the first post.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks @Nuje and @Cuzoe Ending up swapping the buttons and it worked. Only broke 1 pin each time I pulled the button set off each wheel. I actually had to cut off another pin on the original buttons since the new buttons had a shorter pin on the bottom left. I assume it's shorter so that the heating wire goes through there to the wheel.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The buttons themselves are easily removed from the bezel (like 2 or 3 T10 screws), so you wouldn't have had to cut off that pin.

But besides that, did the button swap solve the problem? (upon re-read of your post) glad to hear it solved the problem! :)

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Thanks @Nuje and @Cuzoe Ending up swapping the buttons and it worked. Only broke 1 pin each time I pulled the button set off each wheel. I actually had to cut off another pin on the original buttons since the new buttons had a shorter pin on the bottom left. I assume it's shorter so that the heating wire goes through there to the wheel.
No problem... @Nuje is here to help. I spend most of my time being somewhat helpful while rambling on about tangentially related topics. My heated (Mk8, but this thread still 100% applies) wheel is allegedly on its way across the world to me.

sportwagen3

Veteran Member
TDI
The buttons themselves are easily removed from the bezel (like 2 or 3 T10 screws), so you wouldn't have had to cut off that pin.

But besides that, did the button swap solve the problem? (upon re-read of your post) glad to hear it solved the problem! :)
By pin, I meant the tabs that connect the steering wheel face and buttons to the wheels.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Maybe by the weekend I'll join this club... if my local dealer has the connector and repair wires. Mk8 wheel cleared customs and is at my local FedEx. Still showing for delivery Thursday I'm hoping they can get it on the truck for tomorrow.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
By pin, I meant the tabs that connect the steering wheel face and buttons to the wheels.
Right - I think we're talking about the same thing. And just to clarify my point in case anyone else is following along, it's easy to separate and remove the buttons (yellow arrows) from the bezel (red arrows) once you have the bezel + buttons combo removed (held in to the steering wheel's "firm foam" - for lack of better terminology - by plastic arrowhead-ish pins).

So, when swapping wheels, if the buttons you want are in a scratched up bezel, but you have a pristine bezel from another wheel (my case exactly), it's trivial to swap the buttons to the "nice" bezel.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Should've included some prices:
  • Steering wheel: ~$250-300 (shipped from Europe). Wasn't available on NAR Golf Mk7, but Atlas, Passat, Arteon (I think?) share the same wheel and airbag combo - and had heated SW option.
  • Clockspring: ~$100 used (shipped from Europe; tough to find in North America)
  • Wiring: $5 for connector and a few feet of 18g wire you have lying around, plus $5 for fuse tap, or $25 from Aliexpress (or close to $100 from Kufatec)
(Of course, I was on the high end of all of those, given that I fumbling in the dark to a certain extent; with experience now, I'd expect to be able to do it for ~$400, in maybe 60-90minutes.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
So here's some additional information regarding clock springs, stalks and stalks with driver assist button...

Rehashing some of what @Nuje already mentioned... no matter what you'll want to start by checking module 16 in your autoscan, snip of mine...
Part No SW: 5Q0 953 521 K HW: 5Q0 953 569 A

If you have HW: 5Q0 953 569 x then your clock spring and stalks are made by Valeo
If you have HW: 5Q0 953 549 x then your clock spring and stalks are made by Kostal

Now with that information you can order the proper heated steering wheel clock spring...

Valeo - ....569 part numbers
5Q0 953 569 B - no longer available in the US, but very available on Ali or from eBay Europe for about $200, replaced with...
5Q0 953 569 C - my dealer says these only show in the system as production line items, MSRP of $450-ish

Kostal - ...549 part numbers
5Q0 953 549 D - latest part number, MSRP of $200, available, my dealer sells this at $150
Note: 549 B and 549 C are also for heated wheels, but they are older and no cheaper than a new 549 D

Now, if your car has 569x hardware but you want to get a 549x clock spring you need matching stalks, and there are two options:
Stalks with Driver assist button on the turn signal stalk... 5Q0 953 513 AJ (available on eBay, didn't check dealers, but MSRP is $150
Stalks without Driver assist button on the turn signal stalk... 5Q0 953 513 P (available on eBay, don't know the MSRP)

If your car has 569x hardware, and you want to add stalks with the Driver Assist button (doesn't seem common on US Golfs):
Stalks with Driver Assist button on the turn stalk... 5Q0 953 502 AJ (available on eBay, don't know MSRP)

Additionally, 569x and 549x hardware use a different bracket to attach to the steering column...
549x stalks attach to bracket 1S0953223 (old PN 5K0953223B), under $10 MSRP from the dealer
569x stalks attach to bracket 5K0953223C, $25 MSRP from the dealer

If you're looking at clock springs on eBay you'll likely find them being sold with stalks most of the time. Just keep in mind that you will need a different bracket if what you buy doesn't match your car, be it 549 or 569.

Somewhat important edit...
So... picked up the 549x bracket and went to install in my car (along with 549x clock spring and stalks), which means removal of the 569x bracket. No good no good, haha. To remove the bracket you must remove your lock cylinder. Well... the lock cylinder is held in place by shear bolts. You can drill them out, or hammer/chisel/dremel a slot and screw them out. The part number for replacement bolts is N90584502. They are a few bucks each. I'm not all that interested in doing any of this. But it is required if you're going to replace the bracket and switch between 549x and 569x hardware.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great info, @Cuzoe! Thanks for posting.
I've added a link to your post above in my initial how-to post to point people there for the 4-1-1 on clocksprings.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I don't know a thing about PQ35 cars, but the most common place to get a 5Q0963569B clockpsring (which supports heated wheel) is from a Passat B8. These are the clock springs that should be compatible with US Mk7 Golfs (and Golf variants)... it seems some of the Mk7.5s started using Kostal (549x) components but always best to check Module 16.