MK7 Headlight Swap

JHands

Veteran Member
TDI
None presently
Currently looking to upgrade from my ALH to a 15 sportwagen. The one I’m looking at seems like a base model. I’m interested in swapping the headlights from the adaptive lighting package that was optional into it.
Anyone done this? Do they track? Plug and play?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Not an expert by any stretch, but I do know you'll probably need a new Comfort Module or whatever the name is in these newer models. Almost anything in these new cars is tied to a control module, lots of things controlled by the infotainment, other things by the comfort module.

Comfort module now comes in 3 flavors: low, mid and high line. A GSW S will have a low line module, and if you want things like bendy lines in your rearview camera, you will need a mid or high line module.

Changing anything is not a trivial thing in these newer cars. Changing a module, infotainment or CAN gateway will trigger Component Protection (CP), which is a huge can of worms.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
As said, the S model is likely to have a low series BCM (Body Control Module) that will not support many of the options on an SE and SEL, including the lighting package. That being said, some "S" cars did have the higher BCM installed, and you'd have to get the p/n from the BCM to confirm. There's threads at the vortex and GOLFMK7 with a how-to, which requires removing a few trim items at the driver's feet and taking a picture of the BCM p/n.
(Oh, you may also be able to get the BCM number through the infotainment screen, but this may be missing a suffix to confirm low-mid-hi).

The low BCM can be swapped out for higher versions providing an array of future options, but I have only found a few threads on doing it, so if you find more, let us know. I'd like to change BCMs to support heated seats.

(Her) Mk7 GSW S has a BCM which does not support the lighting package, and I didn't really want to do some of the additional work (it's not P&P) so I swapped out the OE halogen headlights and installed Ed's (BECA) Mk7 HIDs, which are very good. Plus it's less work and (at this point) less pricey. I can post pics if you aren't familiar.

The first thread I've linked is the best one I've found for your question. Please post more as you find them...

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if you're just looking for better lights the lowest cost options is looking for just new aftermarket head lights.

Eds have had great reviews but he has moved on to LED units, which not sure about what happens if an LED goes poof.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Ed is running low on the Mk7 LED's. After his current stock dries up he said he was going to do something else for a while. If anyone is interested, I will have a set of Ed's HID low beam with halogen hi beam set up for sale AFTER I get the LED set put in. My HID has the HyLux ballast.

ThatBruceGuy

TDI
2015 GSW DSG
adaptive lighting package
Do they track?
When you turn a corner at an intersection, the corresponding fog light comes on when you turn the wheel past a certain point.
It ain't that useful, the beam doesn't go very far. You're not missing out on much.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
When you turn a corner at an intersection, the corresponding fog light comes on when you turn the wheel past a certain point.
It ain't that useful, the beam doesn't go very far. You're not missing out on much.
It's not the fog light, there is a separate 55W bulb on each corner of the headlight:

The xenons are also on a motor; you can increase their range of motion with VCDS.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The cornering lights also come on when you hit the turn signal. I actually find it quite useful. And, yes, the Xenon headlamps do track.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Factory fogs def come on at slow speeds and at a certain steering wheel angle/blinkers. I have white LED fogs and they come and go depending on slow corners and blinker functions, its very noticeable.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Factory fogs def come on at slow speeds and at a certain steering wheel angle/blinkers. I have white LED fogs and they come and go depending on slow corners and blinker functions, its very noticeable.
Factory fogs only act as cornering lights if you don’t have the Bi-Xenons.

Furthermore, if you do have both Xenons and fogs, the foglight will turn off when the cornering light turns on.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the amount of mk7 halogens way out weigh those with xeons. Seeing the OP is looking at a car with Halogens, I offered him some info for avoiding the costly upgrades needed for factory xeons.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
I will have a set of Ed's HID low beam with halogen hi beam set up for sale AFTER I get the LED set put in. My HID has the HyLux ballast.
Why are you switching? Updating to the Mk7.5 style or do you prefer LED to HID?

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
prob lack of demand, mk7 are done production since 2017, and mk7.5 market prob doesn't have the demand and soon to be retired.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP TDI because the HID's aren't bright enough for me. They are better than the halogen, but I've been spoiled with LED

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
RIP TDI because the HID's aren't bright enough for me. They are better than the halogen, but I've been spoiled with LED
As long as you dim them when you're behind someone. I recently had some asshat come up behind me with LED lights that were blinding. I pulled over to let him pass, then gave him a high quick high beam flash to let him know, but instead of realizing what I was trying to convey, he slammed on the brakes and got confrontational, jumping out of the truck. I just drove on past him and, luckily, I didn't have to call 911 as he didn't follow me.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
As long as you dim them when you're behind someone. I recently had some asshat come up behind me with LED lights that were blinding. I pulled over to let him pass, then gave him a high quick high beam flash to let him know, but instead of realizing what I was trying to convey, he slammed on the brakes and got confrontational, jumping out of the truck. I just drove on past him and, luckily, I didn't have to call 911 as he didn't follow me.
Always.